Signal 0
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 - Gun Subclass.

Quote Originally Posted by jlfar0311 View Post
    I'm pretty ignorant on competition shooting. Can someone enlighten me to how this works?

Near as I can tell; you surrender, until this annoying buzzer sounds, then you change your mind, then run, shoot using horrible tactics, run some more, reload standing in the wide open, run some more, disarm yourself while standing in the wide open, change guns, shoot some more standing well framed in a door or window, reload while standing in the wide open, then repeat. Oh, and if it is a well constructed course, you will probably get to shoot from a portal on a barricade where you stick your gun through it before engaging.

Great fun. It is like an ultra compressed class on how to get killed in a gunfight.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Jeeze. But their are some good points.

Like most gun games there is good and bad.

It gets people out using 3 guns that most of us have for our defense, make you use them under some stress (time, competition). Like most gun games, the top guys have a technique that won't work well for anything but the game (lets talk about benchrest shooting), but nothing says you can't use better tactics if that is what you want.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Rumbler's just trying to fire me up. Competition teaches shooting skills, not tactics. I would forward the premise it is impossible to replicate the level of stress of a match when practicing shooting skills alone. I've seen some folks who shoot, move, and reload as smooth as silk when on the range with a few friends absolutely lose their minds when the buzzer goes off at a match.

That experience of tunnel vision, forgetting the plan, and stuff going wrong is extremely valuable, I think, in the tactical realm as well. Everyone who EDC's a firearm should allow themselves to feel that at least once.

Of course, there is no rule that says you have to do all the things Rumbler says about the match. You can shoot it as slowly and methodically as you like, taking advantage of available cover, reloading while stationary, slicing pies, keeping muzzles out of windows (but there are times, both at the matches and in real life, you do have to get in the window to get to your target), and so forth. You probably won't do as well in the match as someone who is only paying homage to the clock with all the appropriate race gear, but if that isn't important I think it is a great opportunity to test yourself and your gear on a course you didn't design, on the clock, with a bunch of strangers watching.

So, it appears Rumbler did, in fact, provoke me to post longer than I intended when I should be doing other stuff!

Yup. The old man snookered you.

I'd like to try an experiment sometime.

See how many "30 seconds or less" courses of fire I can engage taking 8+ minutes before other shooters start fussing . . . . 'betch not very dang many.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    I'd like to try an experiment sometime.

See how many "30 seconds or less" courses of fire I can engage taking 8+ minutes before other shooters start fussing . . . . 'betch not very dang many.
    I have a better idea.

After the next Talon 3 gun, you and I and any others interested run a Stage or 2 with Rumbler's rules. We will clean those stages up. And who knows, maybe a new sport will be invented.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

NJC is already doing that. See: "C-4".

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I have a better idea.

After the next Talon 3 gun, you and I and any others interested run a Stage or 2 with Rumbler's rules. We will clean those stages up. And who knows, maybe a new sport will be invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    NJC is already doing that. See: "C-4".
    Yea, but I don't own any carbines.

Well I do own one, but it says Red Ryder on the buttstock.

Yea, but I don't own any carbines.

Well I do own one, but it says Red Ryder on the buttstock.
    Don't split hairs. You have a rifle.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Don't split hairs. You have a rifle.
    And a gun.

Graduate
    And a gun.
    But not a long gun ?
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .