Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3-Gun at Talon Range

3-Gun at Talon Range

On Saturday January 4th, we will hod our regular monthly USPSA match. Then on Sunday January 5th, Talon Range will hold its first 3-gun match. We aim to hold a 3-gun or 2-gun match quarterly, and we're going to try as hard as we can to not conflict with other clubs within 150 miles or so.

The Jan 5th match will consist of 6 stages. All stages will require the use of at least two guns, with many stages requiring all three. We have never really shot 3-gun in this area before, so my first match will be new shooter-friendly. Rifle targets will be no farther than about 185 yards, and everything will be doable with a basic carbine and iron sights.

I'll have more information shortly, but expect the round count to be somewhere in the area of 80 rounds each for rifle, shotgun and pistol (that's probably higher than what will actually be). I may throw in a few slugs too, once I get the stages nailed down.

Our facility is located just west of Tallahassee at 550 Commerce Blvd, Midway, FL 32343. We are right at the I-10 / US90 interchange. Our facility has a pro shop stocked with ammo, snacks, drinks gear, etc, and we have a lounge with couches and a big screen TV, in case you bring a spectator who doesn't want to spectate.

We will be using USPSA multigun rules, with one exception--I'm a cop, and I'm trying to encourage more LEO participation. So I am adding an additional division, which will be law enforcement division. Only open to active or retired LEOs, and your equipment will be limited to duty gear. No magnifiers or variable optics on rifles--iron sights or red dot sights only, duty shotguns, duty handguns, duty gear only (you can however add stuff like shotgun shell holders to your duty gear).

USPSA Multi-gun rules can be found here: http://uspsa.org/RifleShotgunMultigu...-2013final.pdf

For those who have never shot 3-gun before, and you are a little apprehensive about jumping right in, sometime between now and January, I will hold a small mini class on 3-gun. It will cover rules and procedures--the things you need to know to safely get you through a 3-gun match.

I will post more as the match gets closer and I have a few more things nailed down. The match will start at 9:30 AM Eastern time. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, or e-mail me at: razzman1@hotmail.com

CCGF Driving Instructor TargetShooting's Avatar
    In general division, is magnifying scope allowed?

Aaaaaand, I need to get that M4 this month...

The divisions that USPSA multi-gun recognizes are: Open, Limited, Tactical and Heavy Metal Tactical and Heavy Metal Limited. Tactical is the most popular, and it allows for one optic, magnified or not, on the rifle. Limited Division allows one NON-magnified optic and / or iron sights on the rifle.

Razz,
    Will the range be open for other shooters or is the 3 gun going to take up the entire facility on Sunday ?
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    Razz,
    Will the range be open for other shooters or is the 3 gun going to take up the entire facility on Sunday ?
    I would kind of like to know the answer to that one myself.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Like any other match day, any bay we are not using will be open to members. We will be occupying the rifle range, and bays 10 through 16 (most likely) till probably 2ish.

Greetings!

I know this is kind of last minute, but I had some free time on my schedule and I figured I'd make use of it.

At 2 PM this Sunday (the 15th) I will be giving a 3-gun clinic for those interested in competing in our upcoming 3-gun matches at Talon (or anywhere else that holds 3-gun). This class will be free of charge. It will be strictly classroom discussion of rules and procedures--the things you need to know to get you safely through a match without getting DQed. We'll talk about safety rules, division requirements, how to safely ditch firearms, and equipment discussion. It should only last an hour or so.

If you have firearms that you want me to look at for 3-gun feasibility, feel free to bring them, but please leave them in your vehicle until I ask for them. Meet in the classroom at Talon.

If you can't make this one, I plan to hold another class before the January 5th 3-gun match, so watch your e-mail.

See you at the range!

John Rasmussen

Director of Competitive Marksmanship, Talon Range

is a shield acceptable in 3gun w/ night sights and apex trigger ? If so I may need to pick up a saiga 12,

Quote Originally Posted by RudySightsOnWheels View Post
    is a shield acceptable in 3gun w/ night sights and apex trigger ? If so I may need to pick up a saiga 12,
    It won't be ideal, but a Shield would work. How many magazines do you have?

3-gun is a gun game, and there are a few things that will help you be more competitive (or simply get through the match easier). Having a longer sight radius and larger magazine will help. Something like a G17, Beretta 92, Sig226 etc, would serve perfectly for a 3-gun match.

I've never shot slugs out of my mossy 500. Should be different.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.