Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .300 (AAC) Blackout - A sleeper!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Rumbler,for your info an everyone else Our head monkey in charge an his cornies in the EPA have now shut down the last lead smelter in the USA.thanks to them any lead based bullet will be very hard to get.I.e. pistol bullets,any lead any copper bullets will be extremely hard to come by just trying to give everyone a heads up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't think so...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ffect-ammunit/

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2...ierra-bullets/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...et-production/

The ONLY thing that will cause a shortage is panic buying...
    Last edited by Airgator0470; December 18th, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

I have been toying with building an AR in 300 AAC also. I just have never been impressed with the lightweight 5.56, I like more mass. I'll let Rumbler iron out all the details and then steal his recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    I made some .300 Blackout a couple of months ago for Talon2. I didn't do any real load development, I just found a recipe, verified it safe in his gun and cranked out a batch for him.

It was not a particularly impressive load, in my opinion. But I didn't have any of what is apparently the preferred powder (H-110).

Last week, the stars aligned - thanks to Marcus - and I got my grubby paws on a couple of pounds of H110. So I started doing some . . . experimenting.

My conclusion? Damned impressive little cartridge.

I only worked on the supersonic side this week but what it is capable of is nothing to sneeze at.

125gr Hornady SST pushed at just a smidgen over 2200 FPS.

Guarantee you that inside a couple of hundred yards or so ain't no beast in these parts, four legged or two, going to shrug off this little thumper. At 200 yards it rings a steel silhouette like a church bell. Makes it dance the hokey-pokey on its hanger.

There simply IS NO comparison to the "ting" the 5.56 causes on the same target.

All in all, it has me convinced it is about the perfect middle ground between the 5.56 poodle shooter cartridge and the .308.

So . . . . my mind is made up. I'm saying goodby to the 5.56 upper, and hello to a .300 Blackout. It is a win-win in my book for sure.
    Have you played around with 6.8 SPC II, yet?
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

"Governor, I haven't let another man touch my gun since 1861."

Yeah. Charlie and JD both have them. Charlie's is suppressed.

Just didn't do it for me. Though I have to admit that seeing Charlie ride around on a golf cart sniping squirrels out of the trees with a suppressed AR was quite a sight to see. He must have "poofed" about 8 or 10 of them in a row.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Oh! And . . . .UPDATE:

I now have in my grubby little hands a .300 blackout.

CMMG SS heavy barrel 16" with a 1:7 twist and an Aero Precision lower.

. . . I just love thick barrels. At least when I do load development.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Yeah. Charlie and JD both have them. Charlie's is suppressed.

Just didn't do it for me. Though I have to admit that seeing Charlie ride around on a golf cart sniping squirrels out of the trees with a suppressed AR was quite a sight to see. He must have "poofed" about 8 or 10 of them in a row.
    I never saw a .223/5.56 do a squirrel any good, lol. With a 6.8, probably wasn't anything left but ears, tail and toenails. Scavengers were probably like, day-uuum.
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

The result . . think of a dandelion in the breeze. "POOF!" and it is just not there anymore. Nothing but little tufts of fur floating on the breeze.

By the way . . . . I am officially depressed.

I have some 168 and 175 grain match bullets in .30, and some H110. So I made the first batch of supersonic ammo for my gun. Damnit. I hit on a good load with both bullets right away - first try. Velocity was right where I expected it to be, no bulging cases, flattened primers, gun cycled flawlessly, even locked the bolt back when the magazine got empty. Impacts threw berm dirt up in the air three feet.

I was soooo bummed out.

So this morning I went and got some 230 grain .30 cal Bergers, some A1680, and some magnum small rifle primers.

Graduate
    Where did you find the A1680? If you don't mind my asking.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

The result . . think of a dandelion in the breeze. "POOF!" and it is just not there anymore. Nothing but little tufts of fur floating on the breeze.

By the way . . . . I am officially depressed.

I have some 168 and 175 grain match bullets in .30, and some H110. So I made the first batch of supersonic ammo for my gun. Damnit. I hit on a good load with both bullets right away - first try. Velocity was right where I expected it to be, no bulging cases, flattened primers, gun cycled flawlessly, even locked the bolt back when the magazine got empty. Impacts threw berm dirt up in the air three feet.

I was soooo bummed out.

So this morning I went and got some 230 grain .30 cal Bergers, some A1680, and some magnum small rifle primers.
    With the bullet weight, you are going the direction folks usually go for subsonic loads. However, you are doing they way would be inclined to.

I figured if I couldn't have any fun at one end of the spectrum (supersonic) maybe I can have some at the other end.