Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CCGF Moving to NEW SERVER!

CCGF Moving to NEW SERVER!

YO! I think I've got the server to a state where I can go ahead and move the forum over to it.

Here's the plan:

Mid-day tomorrow you might experience a few short outages while I move the database to the new server. This is in preparation for the move itself. While the site will be on the GoDaddy servers, the database will be on the new Amazon virtual server. I'll have to disable the forum during the period in which the data is transferred and imported. That'll last maybe 5 to 7 minutes. The SPOTTY outage might come while I'm figuring out firewall access. Rest assured that I'll figure it out quickly.

Why am I going through all that trouble? UPTIME, FOLKS! I hate outages MORE than you do! The plan is to have the forum functional on both the old and new systems, both operating off of the new database server. This is so your access won't be interrupted because your ISP is slow to update their DNS servers. Some internet providers can take up to a week to update DNS entries, which means you could be unable to access our systems for up to a week if I wasn't taking these precautions.

If ALL GOES WELL, tomorrow night I will be copying the files from the old system to the new. After that, I will be updating the DNS entry to point to the new server. Most folks will be using the new system by morning. By Thursday night of next week, I'll be moving the files from the old system to cold storage.

It is my hope that the entire outage will only last 10 minutes at most.

I'll leave comments open on this post for any concerns or questions you may have about the move.

Pretty Awesome Dude
    Good luck, and thanks for both the advance notice and the excellent support of our little community here.

Thanks for the hard work.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    It's nice to have folks running the forum that are knowledgeable about computers and server-thingy stuff.

Quit yappin' and get to work.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

hopefully now I'll be able to actually log on from my PC at home.
    -If you can't be counted ON, you can't be counted IN.

Quote Originally Posted by substratum View Post
    It's nice to have folks running the forum that are knowledgeable about computers and server-thingy stuff.
    +1

Because I don't have a damn clue what Jonas just said, but I do have faith in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    +1

Because I don't have a damn clue what Jonas just said, but I do have faith in him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    +1

Because I don't have a damn clue about that stuff, but I have faith in Jonas
    We know buddy.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by chenzzo View Post
    hopefully now I'll be able to actually log on from my PC at home.

What?! Send me your IP address at home and I'll get this corrected in short order.

just go to http://whatismyip.com

I'm expecting this move will come with faster load times?

Nah. The whole point of this is to move it onto a slower server so you guys have to wait longer.
    Last edited by Tack Driver; November 27th, 2017 at 05:03 PM.