Signal 0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting a Rifle **PICS**

Painting a Rifle **PICS**

Have you ever wanted to pain a rifle but are just too chicken? Well... screw that noise, grab some Krylon and go to town...

Basically, all you need is your choice of color(s), a cleaning agent, masking tape, and some imagination. For this project, I chose a boring solid black Rem 700 with SWFA SS 10X.

After I cleaned all surfaces good making sure to remove all oils, I used masking tape to cover things I did not want painted. Scopes... cover the markings, turrets, and objective/ocular. I removed the bolt and Karsten cheek piece for this project. Tape off the chamber and trigger areas.

Several coats of a TAN base...

After to dried, I simply scraped up pine straw out of the yard and used it to make patterns by hitting the rifle with OD.

Once dried, remove the tape, replace parts taken off...

You can use leaves, netting, and just about what ever to make patterns. Scrapes and scratches are EASILY covered by a quick touch up. Now... doe that NOT look MUCH better?
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

Very nice, Bob!

I really like the way it makes the scope knobs and the bolt, and the cheek rest jump out at ya.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by molary View Post
    Very nice, Bob!

I really like the way it makes the scope knobs and the bolt, and the cheek rest jump out at ya.
    I think I'm going to hit the bolt handle and the cheek piece after all...

I was just teasing . . .
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Very Nice Bob! I haven't had the guts to try that ... yet.. Thanks for the encouragement. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JMW4570 View Post
    Very Nice Bob! I haven't had the guts to try that ... yet.. Thanks for the encouragement. Jim
    GO FOR IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlfar0311 View Post
    This looks badass, is this Mike's rifle? And word to the wise, I've done this before. Don't extend your bipod all the way out and paint the legs. All the paint will scratch off when you put them back in and it'll gum up real bad.

Btw, you were really productive yesterday with your tactical arts and crafts!
    Not Mike's... just an extra rifle I had. THANKS for pointing out the bi-pod leg issue.

I had the day off and was feeling creative... I bulk ordered 37 lbs. of poly beads and have more rifle rest bags to fill...

It looked much more menacing to pussies black, you know, black rifles and all that. Nice job, not something I'm doing to mine, but nice job.

37 pounds of poly beads? what is that like a 16 yard dump truck full?

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Quote Originally Posted by 0317 View Post
    37 pounds of poly beads? what is that like a 16 yard dump truck full?
    Perhaps a 5 gallon bucket... slightly less. The bags shown in the picture are 2 lb. bags... so figure about 18 of them.