Signal 0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 168gr Hornday A-Max Data Needed

168gr Hornday A-Max Data Needed

I can't seem to find anything but anecdotal load data for the Horndady 168gr A-Max bullets in 30-06.

. . . 'course I don't have the Hornady book, and their web site SUCKS for load data. :

I can use (and in order of preference)

H4895
    BL-(C)2
    Varget

So a min and max load for ~any~ of those powders and a COAL would be immensely appreciated.

. . . . Leave it to me to buy dagum bullets for a specific .30 rifle and not be able to come up with data for it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate

Re: 168gr Hornday A-Max Data Needed

[quote author=Rumbler link=topic=254.msg2039#msg2039 date=1338671404]
    I can't seem to find anything but anecdotal load data for the Horndady 168gr A-Max bullets in 30-06.

. . . 'course I don't have the Hornady book, and their web site SUCKS for load data. :

I can use (and in order of preference)

H4895
    BL-(C)2
    Varget

So a min and max load for ~any~ of those powders and a COAL would be immensely appreciated.

. . . . Leave it to me to buy dagum bullets for a specific .30 rifle and not be able to come up with data for it.
    [/quote] The sixth edition only has data for Varget and IMR 4064 . Starting is 41.4 and max is 49.4 thats for Varget . For IMR 4064 STARTING IS 41.8 AND 50.2 IS MAX. c. o. l. is 3.240 starting fps. is 2400 and max is 2800. This data is for 30-06 Springfield.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

!! YEA !! Thank you!!

I don't care what all these other people around here say, I think that you are a great guy!
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Dupont 4895: beginning with 42.5 grains @ 2500 FPS to maximun 47.9 grains @2800 FPS.
    Dupont is interchangeable with Hodgens till you get to the upper end, then H gets a little hotter.
    This is for the old 168 Grain BTHP. Should be a safe starting point for working up a load for the A-Max
    5G Motorola Razr

Super. Thanks Wesly!

Anyone have a cartridge overall length specification ? I'm guessing about 3.300 . . . . but that's how guys like me blow themselves up. :-[

If you are trying to maximum accuracy, COAL should be rifle specific. The bullet should be seated so that the bullet ALMOST touches the rifle groves, maybe a 100th short. There are several ways to determine this length.

While this works great for bolt actions, most semi-auto must be seated deeper to fit into the clip (I haven’t seen Tack around), thus giving up a little accuracy.
    5G Motorola Razr

Graduate

[quote author=Rumbler link=topic=254.msg2047#msg2047 date=1338683171]
    Super. Thanks Wesly!

Anyone have a cartridge overall length specification ? I'm guessing about 3.300 . . . . but that's how guys like me blow themselves up. :-[
    [/quote] 3.240 Per the book .
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Thanke thanke. ;D

Wesley this is for my hunting rifle.

Not that I hunt . . . . but if I ever do . . . .

I bought some Remington accutip bullets, 308 168gr that seem like clones of the hornady amax that I am going to load up for my Garand. My starting load is probably going to be around 44gr 4895.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Dale, do they really look like this:

http://www.remington.com/product-fam...r-accutip.aspx

Star Wars bullets!