Signal 0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sight Alignment Quiz - Prize Included

Wink Sight Alignment Quiz - Prize Included

I have a Tip/Trick but decided it would be fun turning it into a quiz.

QUIZ - How exactly do you acquire Sight Alignment with a pistol quickly?
    Answer and then give a concise explanation.

Okay guys & gals, we all know Sight Alignment (hopefully) right? Just in case - a short review:

SIGHT ALIGNMENT

The Relationship between the front and rear sights. Eye lined up with Front and Rear Sights and sights positioned in Proper Sight Alignment. Proper Sight Alignment being Front Sight vertically centered in Rear Sight Notch (Light Bars equal on both sides of Front Sight Post) with tops of front and rear sight even, level, horizontally aligned.

That all sounds great, now explain the tip/trick that that gets us to that arrangement quickly off the initial and all follow-up shots.

Google all you want...surprisingly, I haven't found a thing except for the generic canned response that mimics the formal definition above. To be clear I'm not talking about a Flash Sight Picture, I'm talking about Fast Sight Alignment.

The winner will receive 1 free verbal voucher to attend a Signal-0 AR15 Basic Class or Signal-0 AR15 Advanced Class. This has nothing to do with Airgator. He doesn't even know I've made this post. If you win I send funds to Airgator and you're in, simple as that.

Determining Winner: CCGF Member Consensus.

Basically all instruction is subjective (well somewhat). So CCGF Member Consensus means if I'm telling everyone they're wrong, don't choose a winner, and you all call bullshit on my answer, then the winner will be determined by you guys as long as the answer is majority opinion. If I choose a winner and you all call bullshit that's tough, unless I'm convinced otherwise and go with your answer which will determine the winner.

Easy as pie, now open up your blue books and direct all questions for clarity to the test proctor. No time limit applies.

ETA: ALL SIGNAL-0 EMPLOYEES ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM PARTICIPATING.
    Last edited by TheJewban; September 20th, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
    No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Go ahead and say it folks - a stupid post wasn't it. Sorry.

Look at this thread. I know exactly what the OP is asking yet no one answered the question. No explanation as to probable cause and how to resolve it. There's hundreds of threads like this out there .

ETA: Sorry, I meant thousands.

How about sharing it with the rest of us? How do you know what everyone else does? You might have come up with a novel technique that's better than what's out there and not know it. If not, maybe your way of doing it works perfect for the shooter that's tried everything else. Just an idea.

I'll bite. Though I don't think that this is a one size fits all thing. Different methods will work better for different people. So all I can say with confidence is what works for me. And it should be noted that I am NOT a "bullseye shooter". When I shoot for finite accuracy I most definitely use a different technique.

First off, and most importantly, with both eyes open I find a point of focus on the target. Be that a zipper tab, or a button, or a medallion, or a gold tooth, or the end of a nose. With my focus there, I extend the pistol out and up slightly if necessary in order to bring the sights into my "fuzzy vision". What I am looking for is simply a flat line, and two as you call them; light bars.

The flat line is formed by the front and rear sight being level. For my eyes it is much easier and much faster to detect a line bowed up or down than to try and finitely adjust "top of this and top of that" - I simply look for a short flat line with two light bars approximately the same size (and I judge that 100% intuitively) SUPERIMPOSED in my line of vision.

With this said, I do not believe it is my "skill at arms" that facilitates this technique. I believe it is knowing my natural point of aim, reinforcing it through both dry and live fire.

. . is that response what you were looking for, Lawrence? I can be much longer winded if you want . . . . .
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Oh! Recovery for followup shots. Reasonably Simple too.

Simply do not allow the wrist to "break" during recoil. We all know a handgun tries to move in three directions simultaneously when it fires. Trying to absolutely control all of those is an exercise in futility. Well, you know; unless you shoot a girly gun like a 9MM. The only movement that matters is that which inhibits getting sight alignment and sight picture back.

Mitigating recoil by allowing it to be absorbed by arms and shoulders will take care of that. Muzzle climb is the one that is a bear. I think that all we can do - I know that all *I* can do, is to funnel that force right down the same path the recoil energy took; into my arm bones and ultimately the mass of my shoulder. NOT breaking the wrist is of vital importance in redirecting that force.

. . . course, when I have a choice both the wrist and elbow joints are locked and my arm is as straight as an arrow from the shoulder forward regardless of my torso position relative to the target. But the elbow is somewhat optional.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Taking more notes....who else will educate me? Share your knowledge
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

I can be much longer winded if you want . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by molary View Post
    With my focus there, I extend the pistol out and up slightly if necessary in order to bring the sights into my "fuzzy vision". What I am looking for is simply a flat line, and two as you call them; light bars.
    Hmm, rephrase what you said there. ""Fuzzy vision" is self explanatory and "flat line" (which you explained) is the same canned
    bullshit response for proper sight alignment, i.e., front sight vertically centered in rear sight notch, with tops of...yada, yada, yada...

But I'm very interested in your quo...scratch that...rephrase please.

... is that response what you were looking for, Lawrence?

Let's just say I got a little excited...but no, sorry.

I can be much longer winded if you want . . . . .

Please indulge me, but only as it relates to your quote above and/or to; a) the position of the pistol right when you begin the systematic series of actions for proper sight alignment, b) specifically what you are looking at throughout those systematic series of actions and, c) the path you're taking throughout those systematic series of actions. Then provide an explanation as to why you're doing what you're doing throughout the entire process.

Keep it confined to SIGHT ALIGNMENT. For example, I understand "both eyes open...
    point of focus on the target" and all that, but remember that comes under AIMING and under AIMING comes SIGHT ALIGNMENT and SIGHT PICTURE. I'm only concerned with SIGHT ALIGNMENT.

But shit molary, that was one hell of a post.
    Last edited by TheJewban; September 22nd, 2013 at 09:40 PM.

Remember folks, the keywords here are Quick, Fast. This is about reducing time to acquire proper sight alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by jlfar0311 View Post
    I break down into the Groucho, simultaneously drawing, trace the ribcage to the sternum with my thumb, clasp both hands at the sternum, bring my head and hands on the same plane, push my trigger finger's linear plane to my preselected target, (usually at the enemy's mouth), push forward til my arms are a little more than 45 degrees at the elbow, adjust the pistol receiver to form "two receivers" by staring at the target while adjusting up-down-left-right, and finishing by draw the other 50% of pull left on the trigger. I don't use the sights and I don't shoot at circular targets because this is not a game, a hobby, and the circle doesn't shoot back. That's just me though, and I'm certifiably strange. Btw, my chest stays parallel to the enemy at all times with my arms touching my sides. Be small!
    Sorry - no.