Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sight Alignment Quiz - Prize Included

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Are you taking notes? Are you going to take a shot at the question?
    No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TheJewban View Post
    Are you taking notes? Are you going to take a shot at the question?
    Most definitely taking notes. I have no way near enough experience and or knowledge on this. Just a wet behind the ears newb here.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

I know you’re out there, always present but not posting. A read-only peripheral participant not knowing what to say - or not caring. Maybe feeling intimidated by lack of knowledge, heated discussions, snobbery, posters dominating discussions with intolerance, a perceived clique of gun gurus, or self-conscious about looking or sounding dumb.

Well consider this.

Gun folk by their very nature are opinionated, biased, and stubborn. That’s understood and accepted because many in the gun community have spent years in search of the holy grail of accuracy. And when they find it, they don’t need no pipsqueak posting a lame ass quiz to test their knowledge on quick sight alignment.

I’ve posted a quiz on a gun board that has some pretty good RKI’s. One factually stating there is no “one size fits all” to my question, and that “different methods will work better for different people”. Again, this is all 100% correct and true. But like I said earlier...

...I'm taking a big leap of faith this method will be considered by general consent; an approved technique if you will. If not, then I'll be the laughing stock around here.

I know all you thumb twiddling smiling lurkers are waiting for me to get chewed up, spit out, and left for dead (after I get my ass handed to me). So here’s what I’m saying...because I created this inconvenient circumstance, the least you lazy apathetic mofo’s can do for a dead man is show some respect, get off your asses, get in here, and take a stab (not at me) at how one would/should quickly place their front sight perfectly in that rear sight notch. It’s either the answer I’m looking for and you win some gun training, or it’s not, and you revel in the relentless onslaught sure to come my way.

Some key points to remember. When Sight Shooting, NOT Point Shooting, Aiming consists of two stages: Sight Alignment and Sight Picture. We are ONLY concerned with Sight Alignment, i.e., the front sight in perfect alignment with the rear sight.

Stop licking your chops, de-lurk, and get your asses in here NOW.

Disclaimer: The author of this post can assure its readers that the content found within said post is for the sole purpose of promoting active participation in said post, in hopes that said participation will garner support for said author because said author is scared shitless that lack of participation will ultimately result in said authors demise (HELP - I'm a forking dead man).
    Last edited by TheJewban; September 22nd, 2013 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFingergasm View Post
    Most definitely taking notes. I have no way near enough experience and or knowledge on this. Just a wet behind the ears newb here.
    Do you have a pistol on you now, to use as a training aid while we're hashing this out?

Will you attend my funeral - maybe volunteer as a pallbearer.
    Last edited by TheJewban; September 22nd, 2013 at 08:28 PM.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    yes jewban only for point of aim I am not concerned with the rear sight in a combat sinerio both eyes open an focused on spot.Basic the same as molary.It works also on running game.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Johnny, I'm not talking about Combat (Point) Shooting. I'm talking about Aimed Fire (Sight Shooting). Is there not ever a time when you rely on aimed fire, e.g., plinking, target practice, when point (combat) shooting is no longer effective, etc.?

Johnny, I'm not talking about Combat (Point) Shooting. I'm talking about Aimed Fire (Sight Shooting). Is there not ever a time when you rely on aimed fire, e.g., plinking, target practice, when point (combat) shooting is no longer effective, etc.?
    I don't think you'll get many to admit they shoot static paper targets. It's not cool or whatever is perceived to be negative about it. I do. I think there's a time and place for everything. You always hear how bulls eye training/shooting is boring. I think people should remember that's where, I assume, most people start out at and progress on to "combat" training. My perception is paper punching is where the fundamentals are taught, layering a solid base knowledge if you will. I want to know more and plan on becoming a better paper puncher. Isn't there something to being an incredibly accurate shot? Like I said, I don't know this stuff. I'm new. I hope you'all continue to share your knowledge with me.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFingergasm View Post
    I don't think you'll get many to admit they shoot static paper targets. It's not cool or whatever is perceived to be negative about it. I do. I think there's a time and place for everything. You always hear how bulls eye training/shooting is boring. I think people should remember that's where, I assume, most people start out at and progress on to "combat" training. My perception is paper punching is where the fundamentals are taught, layering a solid base knowledge if you will. I want to know more and plan on becoming a better paper puncher. Isn't there something to being an incredibly accurate shot? Like I said, I don't know this stuff. I'm new. I hope you'all continue to share your knowledge with me.
    Aimed Fire is not just for static paper targets and bullseye shooting, and most certainly used in combat.

In a nutshell. Point Shooting for up close and personal work, i.e., when you don’t have the time or ability to use sights. Beyond that, when you need to...AIMED FIRE.

ETA: Good post Yankee.
    Last edited by TheJewban; September 22nd, 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Aimed Fire is not just for static paper targets and bullseye shooting, and most certainly used in combat.
    But by its nature, aimed fire cannot be rushed beyond the limitations of the shooter and equipment. Training and practice can reduce the time, but not eliminate it.

I think you are searching for something that is not an absolute.

You are not asking us how do you spell dog, you are asking why the hell we call it a DOG!
    "Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it"

Mark Twain

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Arcwelder View Post
    I was not ever going to post here. Don't expect much more.

Sight Alignment, A simple Exercise.
    Instructions are for Right handed people, reverse hands for left handed.

Extend left arm out full length to left side, thumb vertical. This represents the Front sight.

Hold right fist half way between shoulder and elbow index and second knuckles up and level. This represents rear sight.

When the top of the thumb appears to be level with the top of the knuckles, and evenly splits the space between the knuckles, then your sight is aligned.

Raise or lower, rotate left and right so that the front sight (thumb) is sitting on the point of intended impact, keeping the front sight relationship to the rear sight (knuckles)

To find the 'fuzzy' vision, align on a point fairly close, focus on that point.
    You should be able to see your thumb quite clearly, your knuckles will appear a little fuzzy. Now focus on a point at a long distance, say 100 yards.
    Now your thumb is fuzzy and knuckles are more fuzzy (fuzzier?)

Depending on where you and your firearm shoots compared to point of aim (how you zeroed), you either:
    Put the top of the front sight so that the target (bullseye) looks to be resting on top of the sight.
    Put the top of the front sight at the visible center of the target.

Combat shooting is only effective as far as the person has been training, the firearm(s) that he or she is used to and with what kinds of ammo.
    People have limits.
    One person with a handgun may be able to hit 6 inch targets out to 100 yards justt because their gun is an extension of their body.
    Most people can't hit a 24 inch circle at 15 yards without aiming because they are not familiar with their gun.

Pistols have advantages and disadvantages over a rifle. Up to some point. at full extension, the front and rear sights focus almost equally when focused on a target. But the distance between the front and rear sights is relatively short, making accuracy reduce.
    Is that your final answer?