Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sight Alignment Quiz - Prize Included

This is getting some meat to it. Good discussion keep it up guys.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

Are you taking notes? Are you going to take a shot at the question?
    No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Lawrence, I think that it may bear explaining that there is a big - HUGE - difference in concepts between "bullseye" shooting and "combat shooting".

I do the later. The former is nothing if not deadly to the shooter should it be applied in a combat (or self defense) scenario. The later, is clearly inferior to the former in a "bulleseye" scenario.

At the risk of stating the obvious; in the bullseye scenario stacking bullets one on top of another on the target (proverbially) is a good thing. Finite accuracy is the goal after all. In a self defense or combat scenario fractions of a second can and often DO make the difference between winning and becoming compost. Further, 'stacking' bullets is counter productive if your goal is to end the threat.

These days, well over 80% of people shot with handguns survive. In many cases, they never even lose consciousness. A conscious person, who has the will to fight, is still a threat.

Handguns, generally speaking, SUCK as fight stoppers. The best we can hope for it to poke so many holes in the threat that they leak so much so fast that they stop being capable of fighting no matter how committed they are to continuing their aggression.

THAT is why finite accuracy - will get you killed. Imagine a handgun bullet as an ice pick. Whether stabbed once or 30 times in the same spot you just get one leak. Now imagine being stabbed 15 times all over the torso (or anywhere else). You now have 15 separate leaks. Much more effective than one leak!

And here is the relevance in all this; We train for finite accuracy on the first shot. Subsequent shots, somewhat less.

It is my absolute belief this is necessary but we must not allow ourselves to be lulled into thinking - believing - we will have time for that.

We train for situational awareness, we train for threat assessment. But we do not train for blind corners, a bag of groceries in each hand, being in a hurry to get home to watch the game on TV, on being distracted because we just learned our wife of 50 years is 'into' donkey sex.

That means that in the real world, chances are indeed very slim that we will have the time to get 'set' to engage the threat. It will be more like; "ohcrapbangbang', than "oh crap. Draw, sight alignment, sight picture, careful - FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL SIGHTS ON TARGET!, now smooth trigger press until the bang".

Train for the worst case scenario. Than anything else is easy.

I don't know how many folks do this, I'm guessing not many, but when I "practice", I keep to an absolute minimum the drills I am good at. I practice what I am bad at.

. . . that is how I can spend countless hours, endless days on the range, and never run out of stuff to do.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I just constrate bon the spot I want the bullet to go as I drawing as soon as the front sight comes up to target fire!
    Hey, thanks for joining in Johnny. Do you just use front sight for point of aim?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJewban View Post
    Are you taking notes? Are you going to take a shot at the question?
    Most definitely taking notes. I have no way near enough experience and or knowledge on this. Just a wet behind the ears newb here.

I know you’re out there, always present but not posting. A read-only peripheral participant not knowing what to say - or not caring. Maybe feeling intimidated by lack of knowledge, heated discussions, snobbery, posters dominating discussions with intolerance, a perceived clique of gun gurus, or self-conscious about looking or sounding dumb.

Well consider this.

Gun folk by their very nature are opinionated, biased, and stubborn. That’s understood and accepted because many in the gun community have spent years in search of the holy grail of accuracy. And when they find it, they don’t need no pipsqueak posting a lame ass quiz to test their knowledge on quick sight alignment.

I’ve posted a quiz on a gun board that has some pretty good RKI’s. One factually stating there is no “one size fits all” to my question, and that “different methods will work better for different people”. Again, this is all 100% correct and true. But like I said earlier...

...I'm taking a big leap of faith this method will be considered by general consent; an approved technique if you will. If not, then I'll be the laughing stock around here.

I know all you thumb twiddling smiling lurkers are waiting for me to get chewed up, spit out, and left for dead (after I get my ass handed to me). So here’s what I’m saying...because I created this inconvenient circumstance, the least you lazy apathetic mofo’s can do for a dead man is show some respect, get off your asses, get in here, and take a stab (not at me) at how one would/should quickly place their front sight perfectly in that rear sight notch. It’s either the answer I’m looking for and you win some gun training, or it’s not, and you revel in the relentless onslaught sure to come my way.

Some key points to remember. When Sight Shooting, NOT Point Shooting, Aiming consists of two stages: Sight Alignment and Sight Picture. We are ONLY concerned with Sight Alignment, i.e., the front sight in perfect alignment with the rear sight.

Stop licking your chops, de-lurk, and get your asses in here NOW.

Disclaimer: The author of this post can assure its readers that the content found within said post is for the sole purpose of promoting active participation in said post, in hopes that said participation will garner support for said author because said author is scared shitless that lack of participation will ultimately result in said authors demise (HELP - I'm a forking dead man).
    Last edited by TheJewban; September 22nd, 2013 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFingergasm View Post
    Most definitely taking notes. I have no way near enough experience and or knowledge on this. Just a wet behind the ears newb here.
    Do you have a pistol on you now, to use as a training aid while we're hashing this out?

Will you attend my funeral - maybe volunteer as a pallbearer.
    Last edited by TheJewban; September 22nd, 2013 at 08:28 PM.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    yes jewban only for point of aim I am not concerned with the rear sight in a combat sinerio both eyes open an focused on spot.Basic the same as molary.It works also on running game.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Johnny, I'm not talking about Combat (Point) Shooting. I'm talking about Aimed Fire (Sight Shooting). Is there not ever a time when you rely on aimed fire, e.g., plinking, target practice, when point (combat) shooting is no longer effective, etc.?

Johnny, I'm not talking about Combat (Point) Shooting. I'm talking about Aimed Fire (Sight Shooting). Is there not ever a time when you rely on aimed fire, e.g., plinking, target practice, when point (combat) shooting is no longer effective, etc.?
    I don't think you'll get many to admit they shoot static paper targets. It's not cool or whatever is perceived to be negative about it. I do. I think there's a time and place for everything. You always hear how bulls eye training/shooting is boring. I think people should remember that's where, I assume, most people start out at and progress on to "combat" training. My perception is paper punching is where the fundamentals are taught, layering a solid base knowledge if you will. I want to know more and plan on becoming a better paper puncher. Isn't there something to being an incredibly accurate shot? Like I said, I don't know this stuff. I'm new. I hope you'all continue to share your knowledge with me.