Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sight Alignment Quiz - Prize Included

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFingergasm View Post
    Taking more notes....who else will educate me? Share your knowledge
    Hang in there Yankee, btw how you doing?
    No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by molary View Post
    I'll bite. Though I don't think that this is a one size fits all thing. Different methods will work better for different people.
    Agreed, and I'm taking a big leap of faith this method will be considered by general consent; an approved technique if you will. If not, then I'll be the laughing stock around here.
    Last edited by TheJewban; September 20th, 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlfar0311 View Post
    I break down into the Groucho, simultaneously drawing, trace the ribcage to the sternum with my thumb, clasp both hands at the sternum, bring my head and hands on the same plane, push my trigger finger's linear plane to my preselected target, (usually at the enemy's mouth), push forward til my arms are a little more than 45 degrees at the elbow, adjust the pistol receiver to form "two receivers" by staring at the target while adjusting up-down-left-right, and finishing by draw the other 50% of pull left on the trigger. I don't use the sights and I don't shoot at circular targets because this is not a game, a hobby, and the circle doesn't shoot back. That's just me though, and I'm certifiably strange. Btw, my chest stays parallel to the enemy at all times with my arms touching my sides. Be small!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJewban View Post
    Sorry - no.
    Well like I said, you wouldn't like it...
    Yeah, sorry about that jlfar. Btw, I didn't grasp a lot of what you were saying. For the sake of new/inexperienced/unskilled shooters and myself I'd to clarify the following:

...by staring at the target while adjusting up-down-left-right...
    What are you
    adjusting up-down-left-right?

Sorry, did I ask something wrong?

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    I just constrate bon the spot I want the bullet to go as I drawing as soon as the front sight comes up to target fire!
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I just constrate bon the spot I want the bullet to go as I drawing as soon as the front sight comes up to target fire!

That is just . . . . way too easy Johnny.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Jlfar, I read this passage a long time ago:

There are no experts in any subject, just Reasonably Knowledgeable Individuals, or RKI’s. I like that concept as it keeps all of us honest and locked into the permanent role of student.
    That's the first thing I see when opening my NRA Trainer’s Guide. I’m an RKI. I’m always learning. Always eager to seek out new, old, novel shooting methods that work. That’s the only reason I ask questions.

I hang out mostly in the Information or Firearm Information and Discovery forums because I want to learn, and maybe pass on some knowledge.

This is a small forum uncluttered with bullshit you see on the larger ones, so it makes me feel part of a close knit family. Like it or not I see you as my brother.

Always cognizant of lurkers seeking gun instruction, information, or tips and tricks, I try to formulate posts and direct threads to encourage their participation.

Now for the hard part, and mind you, I’m pouring my heart out here. I can be daft at times but I’m not stupid. When it comes to gun instruction I like it - need, it, dumbed way down, and from there to move step-by-step, gradually and steadily forward. I believe there are many new and unskilled gun owners who feel the same way but hesitant to admit it. They’re afraid of asking silly questions, or don’t want to be the first ones hoping someone else will, or afraid they’ll be met with the following response and just leave the forum all together:

Quote Originally Posted by TheJewban View Post
    Yeah, sorry about that jlfar. Btw, I didn't grasp a lot of what you were saying. For the sake of new/inexperienced/unskilled shooters and myself I'd to clarify the following:

What are you
    adjusting up-down-left-right?
    Just...nevermind
    That’s why I ask.

You said earlier, “I just wasn't gonna answer because I know I wouldn't do it like everyone else does and I wouldn't win.” This isn’t about winning or losing, it’s about learning. I thought it would be fun to encourage participation by turning it into a game. I know that implies winners and losers but it’s not about that.

No, you don’t do Sight alignment like everyone else. Your style is unique, unconventional, novel, and it works for you. Now, unless your keeping a secret recipe I want to learn how you index the pistol on target too...in that dumbed down fashion I was talking about. It might/might not work for me but I still want to learn and then decide.

That’s why I ask.

My questions are not meant to demean or ridicule. I’m not trying to bait or troll. If my posts appear that way than I encourage feedback from you, and other brothers and sisters, so I can change my writing style.

This is a gun board with an Information and Discovery Forum. I’m here to listen to other RKI’s, to learn, to encourage participation, and pass on what little I know.
    If my questions/thread appear stupid to you that’s fine. I won’t be insulted. I only ask that you not participate. If you do, I only ask that you tolerate my interrogative form, however stupid and frivolous it appears to you.

Anyway if history is an indicator, this thread will probably die so no harm no foul - I’ll be talking to myself.

The pistol receiver is adjusted to the correct vertical and horizontal placement...
    Can you provide more detail please? Are you talking about Point Shooting (threat focused instinctive rapid reaction)?

I want to learn how you index the pistol on target too...in that dumbed down fashion I was talking about.
    Tangent time. I would like to address this because it is something I deal with frequently in taking "bullseye" shooters to "combat" shooters. And it seems to work quite well.

Lawrence I know you know "keep the finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target". Where does that naturally tend to place the pointing, trigger, finger? Just above the trigger guard running parallel to the bore. Where are the thumbs when one has a correct (for control) grip on the pistol? Both thumbs pointing forward parallel to the bore.

Now here is the magic: To "index" simply do what you have been doing all your life. Point. It doesn't matter if you have the handgun "high" or "low" or anywhere inbetween. It doesn't even matter if you are looking at what you index to. Just point your finger.

Try this; Keep your full visual focus on the computer screen. WITHOUT LOOKING point your finger at a lamp, or a TV, or a chair, or a cat (you get the idea) in the room. Now, look where you are pointing. Betcha a nickle you either pointed dead center, or pretty dang close.

"Indexing".

Now repeat that exercise using a thumb. I'll bet you are at least pretty dang close.

Now, think about your grip on the handgun again. You are indexing naturally with three fingers! Two thumbs and a pointing finger.

How in the heck could you miss ?!?!
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Tangent time. I would like to address this because it is something I deal with frequently in taking "bullseye" shooters to "combat" shooters. And it seems to work quite well.

Lawrence I know you know "keep the finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target". Where does that naturally tend to place the pointing, trigger, finger? Just above the trigger guard running parallel to the bore. Where are the thumbs when one has a correct (for control) grip on the pistol? Both thumbs pointing forward parallel to the bore.

Now here is the magic: To "index" simply do what you have been doing all your life. Point. It doesn't matter if you have the handgun "high" or "low" or anywhere inbetween. It doesn't even matter if you are looking at what you index to. Just point your finger.

Try this; Keep your full visual focus on the computer screen. WITHOUT LOOKING point your finger at a lamp, or a TV, or a chair, or a cat (you get the idea) in the room. Now, look where you are pointing. Betcha a nickle you either pointed dead center, or pretty dang close.

"Indexing".

Now repeat that exercise using a thumb. I'll bet you are at least pretty dang close.

Now, think about your grip on the handgun again. You are indexing naturally with three fingers! Two thumbs and a pointing finger.

How in the heck could you miss ?!?!
    Now, all you have to do is find a firearm that aligns with your natural point of aim, and you are golden.

This is the first thing I talk about when student ask about buying a new firearm.

Pick a spot on the wall or item in the room, close your eyes, draw your cleared and unloaded firearm, point it at that spot and open your eyes. If your firearm "points" well for you, the sights should be really close to properly aligned with that point/item.
    Last edited by north-fl-trader; September 21st, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
    "Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it"

Mark Twain

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

John Steinbeck

Sorry, rules strictly dictate that we adhere to the precise definition of PROPER SIGHT ALIGNMENT and how to attain it quickly. The word combat shouldn't even appear in this thread. Now "bullseye" is a different story but that has to do with Aiming (perfect Sight Picture & Sight Alignment).

I'm sorry molary, I don't mean to be thick, but if "it doesn't matter if you have the handgun "high" or "low" or anywhere in between" and"it doesn't even matter if you are looking at what you index to", then how can the the front sight be perfectly centered in the rear sight notch (light bars being equal on both sides) with the tops precisely even, level, and horizontally aligned?

I'm just not following - I'm sorry.

Are you telling me that when I thrust my gun out, thumbs and trigger finger pointed forward and parallel to the bore, I will have Sight Alignment...without having to make any adjustments?

Do not read any sarcasm into that question. It's asked in all sincerity.
    Last edited by TheJewban; September 22nd, 2013 at 12:47 AM.