Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: SBR/SBS length question

SBR/SBS length question

Is this still valid, or has the ATF made a ruling on this that I'm not aware of recently? Something mentioned by an administrator on one of the forums I frequent contradicts this, and I wanted to be sure since I couldn't find anything on the ATF site or in the U.S. Code that contradicts the quoted information below.

Quote Originally Posted by ATF Website
    While a receiver alone may be classified as a “firearm” under the Gun Control Act (GCA), SBRs and SBSs are classified in totality under the National Firearms Act (NFA). A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length. A SBS consists of a shotgun that has a barrel less than 18 inches in length..
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nati...-shotguns.html

The below quote is what makes me ask this, and is in reference to a 1911 carbine kit.

Quote Originally Posted by NAME REDACTED
    Are you sure the barrel is 16 1/4? If it is you are in possesion of a SBR which needs to be regustered with the ATF.
    Survival comes first, truth, understanding, and science later. (Taleb)

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...

Re: SBR/SBS length question

I ain't no ex-purt on nuthin' 'cept what dinner tasted like, an' I keeps that ta myself... BUT, this appears to me to be a clear case of somebody utterly cornfuzed about what "less than" means.

Either that or he don't know a rifle from a shotgun.

Further affaint sayeth naught.

But, is maybe the issue that a pistol isn't a rifle?
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

[quote author=Fenstermacher link=topic=175.msg1332#msg1332 date=1337200721]

I ain't no ex-purt on nuthin' 'cept what dinner tasted like, an' I keeps that ta myself... BUT, this appears to me to be a clear case of somebody utterly cornfuzed about what "less than" means.

Either that or he don't know a rifle from a shotgun.

Further affaint sayeth naught.

But, is maybe the issue that a pistol isn't a rifle?
    [/quote]

The ATF has recently (a few months or more past) ruled that an individual can convert pistols into rifles, and back again legally, as long as the firearm started as a pistol. That's a non-issue (unless they changed their minds about that too). The difference though, is that it'd require an act of congress to change the rifle/shotgun length requirements - to my knowledge this hasn't happened.
    Survival comes first, truth, understanding, and science later. (Taleb)

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...

I've seen ATF waffle and duck so many times. I've seen them post something on their web site as an absolute no-no... then it disappears, and next thing I know they've been issuing letters saying the same thing is O.K.. subject to some weasel-wording. But for all I know, day after tomorrow it will be a no-no again.

... and worse.

So far as I can tell they have little integrity and no sense of shame at the lack.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

The best thing in dealing with the ATF about any of there rules, is to summit in writing a question and get response back with certified letter from them about there ruling on your question. Because you never know. That letter way save your butt.
    Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."