Likes Likes:  155
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Graduate
    Originally Posted by Rumbler
    Mapper,
    I mostly just use voodoo.

No, seriously, some might call it voodoo, but in reality it is spending the time thinking through what I want to accomplish in a particular load, then a combination of published resources, experience gained by making previous mistakes, and patience in testing.

Patience in testing may be the single most important component behind doing enough research to learn if the powder you think will work, will actually fit the performance criteria you want/need.

I believe it would take an awful lot of words to cover even most of the major concepts, mid level concerns, and finite tuning techniques. Then there is addressing these things and their level of concern related to what type of ammunition you want to produce; hunting, self defense, benchrest accuracy, 'cheap range plinking', etc. Then there is; gas gun, single shot, bolt action variants and their "needs".

Heck it took me several weeks and dozens of rounds JUST to figure out what the best bullet jump was for my Remmy 700. Obviously someone just wanting to create plinking ammo, OR someone wanting match level ammo for their magazine fed gas gun wouldn't have any interest in that process..

The remmy 210 and 210m are a good choice. If you are going to get primers from FLT i can give him the bullets. See if you can find a pound of Varget at the show. JW
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

It sucks to be old and blind. The good and bad news of the gun show trip. first, I forgot to bring my glasses, There were only 2 vendors of reloading supplies. None have bullets, only one had primes. The federal 210M, he wanted $89 for a thousand and $28 for the WLR. The powders were 10 more expensive than online, so... I bought 1 pound of Varget, 1 pound of BLC2 (in The Nosler book, it claims, that the BLC2 is the most accurate powder for 165-168 grain and Varget give you the must velocity.) I also grab 1k of WLR primers. I just went to take the stuff of the bags, put my glasses on, read the Varget info, Read the BLC2 info and when I grab the primers........ They were NOT WLR, they were WLP........ So......FLT and JM, if you guys load that kind of ammo, you guys can have them. I have no use for them, is too late for me to change them. The GS is almost an hour away, and I have things to do. FLT, if you can spare some primers, I would appreciated, JM, I check what I bought to test the AR10 and I have some 150 grain, 165, 168 and 175 grains. If you have different grains than those, I would appreciated if you can spare a few bullets. My AR, like the 168. Thanks again guys, for all the help and knowledge.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    I think your going to like varget. I ran a batch of 308 using varget this morning through a nib $199 ruger American. I went with 165 SGK, CCI #200 primers and varget. Set them all .005 from the lans. Started at 42 gr and got consistent 3/4" groups at 100 yards. 43 gr opened up to 1". 44 gr 1 1/4". Then ran a couple sets of 45gr which took it back down to 1/2" consistently. If I get a chance I think with a little more time playing with the nodes I can get consistent groups less than 1/2". I was planning on trying 4064, but varget is the winner until hunting season is over and I have more free time. Name:  KIMG0120.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  38.7 KB

Graduate
    If you have a way of getting them, I can part with 1K of WLP primers.
    I'm not really in need of LP primers, but do load with them. just offering to help.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    If you have a way of getting them, I can part with 1K of WLP primers.
    I'm not really in need of LP primers, but do load with them. just offering to help.
    If I can get with FLT, I will give him the 1K WLP and you guys can split them any way you guys want. I just don't have use for them and is better if you guys use them, than have them sitting on a shelf unused. I do this shit all the time, go out without my glasses and then when I need them, I don't have them. But you know, how we men are. All I have to do was ask the guy for help and not do the manly thing of not asking for help.

Graduate
    Of course you could get a set of 45 acp dies and use them as well....

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Of course you could get a set of 45 acp dies and use them as well....
    I would have to buy a set of 45 acp dies and a hand gun to shoot them too.

You don't have a .45! Saint Rumbler just rolled over.
    5G Motorola Razr

Graduate
    You are almost there though, you have the primers and shellholder (use the one for 308 )

I used to shy away from calibers I didn't own, untill I realized, its just another set of dies...
    Last edited by mapper; November 13th, 2016 at 10:19 PM.