Likes Likes:  155
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 30plusretlaw View Post
    I got nothing!!!!Lol. starting from scratch.
    I misread your op in my first post. Reloading is very simple and no where near as complicated as I thought it would be. The hardest part is finding the lands, but once you figure it out it's easy as well. And with all the data online there is no need to buy books. If all else fails pm mapper, he is a human encyclopedia of reloading and reloading accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    Go by DSH and ask them to explain reloading to you. They have a reloading room, several presses and can give you a good overview of the process.

http://www.dshfirearms.com/
    I would but I'm, 5-6 from Tally.

+1 on 12B's recommendation on Mapper.
    5G Motorola Razr

Just remember, high powered bottle neck rifle brass will need trimming. Failure to do so can result in a self-correcting error. A good quality press and die set will help reduce bullet run out, which kills accuracy.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

Personally I'm a fan of RCBS products and I've been using their single stage press for years. I'm currently using my single stage press to reload 4 pistol and 5 rifle calibers, including 308 WIN. Using a single stage press gives you a "quality over quantity" approach since you're doing each stage of reloading one at a time. I'm not a high volume reloader anyways. With that said, here's what I recommend:

RCBS Kit with just about everything you need to get started for $280: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937...tage-press-kit

RCBS Powder Stand for $18.50: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/125...-measure-stand

If you spend an additional $2.00+ on RCBS gear, you'll be qualified for a $75 rebate: http://media.midwayusa.com/cms/rebat...n1_dec31_c.pdf

Now you just need to get a trimmer, tumbler, calipers, and what ever set of dies/shellholder you want. Having more than one reloading manual is good to cross reference data. If you decide to want those previously mentioned items made by RCBS, wait until January to purchase them because the rebate should reset for the new year.

Then you'll want to start looking at brass, powder, bullets, and primers. Hopefully you've been saving your once fired 308 brass. Will you be reloading your 308 WIN for a semi-auto or bolt action?

Quote Originally Posted by Jas8340 View Post
    Personally I'm a fan of RCBS products and I've been using their single stage press for years. I'm currently using my single stage press to reload 4 pistol and 5 rifle calibers, including 308 WIN. Using a single stage press gives you a "quality over quantity" approach since you're doing each stage of reloading one at a time. I'm not a high volume reloader anyways. With that said, here's what I recommend:

RCBS Kit with just about everything you need to get started for $280: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937...tage-press-kit

RCBS Powder Stand for $18.50: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/125...-measure-stand

If you spend an additional $2.00+ on RCBS gear, you'll be qualified for a $75 rebate: http://media.midwayusa.com/cms/rebat...n1_dec31_c.pdf

Now you just need to get a trimmer, tumbler, calipers, and what ever set of dies/shellholder you want. Having more than one reloading manual is good to cross reference data. If you decide to want those previously mentioned items made by RCBS, wait until January to purchase them because the rebate should reset for the new year.

Then you'll want to start looking at brass, powder, bullets, and primers. Hopefully you've been saving your once fired 308 brass. Will you be reloading your 308 WIN for a semi-auto or bolt action?
    That's exactly what I did. I went the RCBS route. I talk to the wife Monday night and told her that if Hillary won, It will be really hard to find ammo and that I needed the ability to load my own. Her answer...." you are a big boy and work hard, get what ever you need" My eyes got as big as basketballs. Since I have the amazon card and I get a 5% discount on amazon purchases and the $75 off. I got this kit and the 308 dies and shell holder. I already have around 500 brass casings and have a round 300-350 rounds of 308. I rarely sell anything I buy, so the lifetime warranty and the Costumer service is what push me to RCBS. I look at dillon but those progressive presses scare me a little. Maybe when I'm experience. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3IW74A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by 30plusretlaw; November 9th, 2016 at 05:03 PM.

I'll be spending a lot of time researching on how to reload. I also have a friend at work that's been reloading for a while and said he would help me if I needed help. I think I will be ok. I will be loading 308 only,for now, since is what I'm enjoying shooting. My pistol ranges and the boring kind. Nothing like Airgators place.

Graduate
    This is what I do.

Separate out the brass that was fired in your bolt action, and the brass that was fired in your gas gun. Keep them separate for now.

If you have multiple rifles in the same caliber, you'll need to determine which one has the tightest chamber when setting your dies up.

Measure from the shoulder to the base of the case, on several of each of the casings fired from each rifle.
    The shortest dimension from shoulder datum to case head is what you are looking for.

Typicially I set my dies up to bump the shoulder back 0.003 in a gas gun, and 0.002 in a bolt gun.

But what you are looking for here is 1 die setting that will work on everything You have in that caliber.

Full length sizing, returns brass back to minimum saami specs,
    Brass life may not be the best, as the chamber may be between minimum and max specs.

I don't like working my brass more than necessary, so that's why I do the above.
    I let the rifles chamber tell me where to set the die.

If you have any military brass, don't be suprised if you have to remove primer crimps to reload them.
    They can either be swedged or cut out. And there are numerous ways to do them.
    Last edited by mapper; November 9th, 2016 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks for the info mapper, all the casings I have as of now, were fired form the AR10, Only 18 from the BA. The ones I used to zero the rifle. So, if I primarily going to reload for the BA, for accuracy, set up everything for that rifle? I put the 18 cases in the same box with the ones from the semi, now I know to keep them separated. Thanks!!

Graduate
    So you are not planning on loading for the ar 10 as well As the bolt?

Sure you can only load for 1 rifle, folks have been doing that for ever, neck sizing, or partial full length size.as well as tailoring the seating depth.

for the ar 10/15 a metal mag should allow you a longer seating length than a plastic mag as the mag body is thinner.

If you were single loading and not limited by mag length, those would be seperated out, not necessarily by sizing die setup, but mainly by seating depth.
    I want my sized brass to be able to chamber in anything I put it in that I have.