Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Realoding newbie

...and I'm the weirdo that likes the taste of vinegar... Can't help it, I like really bitter and acidic flavors. Dark ass strong coffee, bitter strong beers, vinegar based foods and all this.
    THE GREATER PART OF LIBERTY IS MINDING YOUR OWN FUCKIN BUSINESS.

Quote Originally Posted by 0utlaw View Post
    Way back in the olden days I remember my uncle putting a shot of vinegar in his tumbler, I'm not sure why or what it did but I remember him doing it.
    Was it a water tumbler? Vinegar acts as de-caking agent and reduces water spots, this is why it is recommended in being added to the water in a pressure canner. Any product pressure cooked without vinegar in the water comes out with a white grit on it.

I use a Thumbler tumbler with stainless rod media and a splash of dawn dish detergent and dish washer crystals for water streaks. My brass comes out better than new.

I'm not sure I was really young and he had quit reloading by the time I got old enough to follow what was going on. Just remember the vinegar for some reason, maybe because it seemed so out of place to my kid mind.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Well when using the Lyman trimmer for .300BLK, the .30 caliber pilot was a bit tight inside the throat and the case was getting unbelievably hot. I stuck the pilot in a drill and sent it through some 400&600 grit sandpaper to reduce it slightly. Now works better. My dad ordered one of those CTS trimmers to try it out. It looks like it should speed up the process of converting .223 to .300BLK. I'll give an updated report after trying the CTS

Graduate
    Are you using one of the mini chop saws a
    And a jig to cut the shoulder off the brass?
    Then sizing it in a die, then final trim to length?

A trimmer that indexes from the shoulder of the case should make it go quicker than one supported by a pilot.
    And a little less brass handling.

This is only based from me helping marcus convert some once for the Rumbler benefit.
    And knowing diffrences between trimmers.

But sure I could see the issue with multiple pcs of brass sized 0.002 less than the size of the pilot getting hot.

Ya that's exactly how we have been doing it. Using once fired lake city brass and RCBS small base dies. The pilot was also scoring the inside of the brass. It was making me think that it may create inconsistent neck tension by scoring the brass like that.

Graduate
    Try it and see, compare how you have been doing it,
    To a resized case
    To done with the new trimmer.

The rifle will tell you.

But the diffrent trimmer should eliminate that issue, as well as speed up bras prep.
    Last edited by mapper; September 25th, 2016 at 11:32 PM.

The CTS trimmer is working great. Once you have a case trimmed to the exact length you want, it is very quick and easy to set the CTS to that length. Case prep is much faster and the CTS trims the cases a lot cleaner than the Lyman did.