Signal 0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: favorite tools or accessories on the bench (rifle)

Mapper I'm curious why you use a universal decapper after sizing. I assume your sizing die still has the expander button since I don't see that listed as a separate step

Graduate
    I was bending/ breaking decap pins in my dies, I bent a couple of stems in them as well..,
    So purely a matter of economics for me, a lee universal decapper is 12 bux, decap pins for it are 3 bux or so, a stem for the size die was 15 bux, and a pack of decap pins were 5 bux...

Besides when you tear up the stem in the size die, your reload session is over...
    If you are putting enough pressure to bend or break decap pins, on the size die can you be certain that the stem and expander is still straight when it goes on the case mouth...this gets rid of that question/ issue.

So I find it easier on the size die to run it without a decap pin, and use the universal decapper as a separate step.

Note this is for 223/556 with crimped primers...I was just trying to come up with a easy consistient approach..
    Since it works well I will keep it and add another universal decap die to the turret on 308..
    Last edited by mapper; May 23rd, 2014 at 08:25 AM.

Gotcha, I haven't run into that issue yet, not much crimped brass except some I bought that was already deprimed. since you're doing two steps anyway though, it wouldn't add much labor to deprime, then tumble, then do the rest.
    I load rifle in batches on the single stage though, different strokes. Maybe one day I'll try a chargemaster, for batches though I just don't think it'd be much if any quicker than my manual powder measure (old Lyman 55)

Graduate
    For plinking loads with a powder that measures well, probabally no faster..
    But my lyman 55 running varget is set a couple tenths low..by the time you throw in scale pan, then trickle each charge to weight, the chargemaster is a lot faster...

But I am running max/near max loads...
    If I was in the middle of the charge weight it would not be a issue.

I tumble in walnutz..with primers in,
    If I did stainless pins or ultrasonic I would deprime first..
    But that is just my prefrence..

And yes the decap pin is removed from my sizing die. On 223/556
    Last edited by mapper; May 23rd, 2014 at 10:57 AM.