Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler media??

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    I use a lyman sonic cleaner,works very well dry the cases throw them into tumbler with corn cob only for about 20 minutes cases look like brand new brass.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Graduate
    I took the plunge and bought a stainless steel media cleaner. Time consuming but it cleans awesomely. It will polish the annealing marks off the neck of 5.56 brass. If brass isn't that dirty, I use a Dillon case cleaner with corn cob media with polish thrown into the mix. I use about two capfuls of their polish.

Graduate
    I found the before and after pics on the effectiveness of stainless steel cleaning. It's fairly profound, and I don't think there is any other way to get these results otherwise.

Name:  Beforeandafterweb.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  92.4 KB

Edit: I took these photos myself from brass I picked up/dug out of the ground myself. I ran them through a Thumber's Tumbler for a few hours. I just didn't want anyone to think this was a stock photo!
    Last edited by AB; April 10th, 2014 at 07:46 AM.

Holy hell
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

I use the tried and true Thumler's Tumbler with stainless media and the Dillon media separator (almost the same price as the other separators, but much more heavy duty).

Another bit of awesomeness (with awesome customer service) is theHarvey hand held depriming tool:

http://www.harveydeprimer.com
    “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”

Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Supporting Member
    AB- I remember you had an issue with brass becoming brittle, but I can't remember if you determined it was the SS media or just old ass brass from the ground?

Any issues with SS media and brass?

Also, some of you might be interested in a new SS media kit from Frankfurt Arsenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9rIyue6RC4#t=109

Graduate
    No brittleness normally. That particular batch had been in the ground a long time and it compromised some of the brass. That experiment was a long time ago (posted originally on TGF), and I lost about 10% at the reloading bench when they split upon being resized. About 25% split on first firing, and I still have some of them kicking around. About 25% have lasted at least 8 or so loadings.

Graduate
    If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the Frakfurt Arsenal version. It looks like you can put more brass in at a time and more=better. Hell, I might just buy it anyway! I will certainly be buying the magnet, even if I don't get the whole kit.

Ive used it all over the years.

dry rice works really well.

You can add a bit of metal polish to take it even further.