Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Possible Groupie Buy. Steyr M95 Mannlicher 8x56R

Possible Groupie Buy. Steyr M95 Mannlicher 8x56R

$115.99
    Last edited by Dale Gribble; August 18th, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    You know, it would probably help if you spelled it correctly.

Steyr.

Na. I think what might be the most help would be mentioning that an abundant source of ammunition exists . . . . if in fact there is one.

I will admit to being intrigued by the rifle. But . . . well . . . you know, a rifle like that without plausible ammunition availability is a . . boat oar. Or a club. or a pole for pole vaulting. Or a . . well you get the idea.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Na. I think what might be the most help would be mentioning that an abundant source of ammunition exists . . . . if in fact there is one.

I will admit to being intrigued by the rifle. But . . . well . . . you know, a rifle like that without plausible ammunition availability is a . . boat oar. Or a club. or a pole for pole vaulting. Or a . . well you get the idea.
    LOL
    Yo Tony, Do me a kindness. - Winnebago Man

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

"We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their living goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun cocksuckers by the bushel-fucking-basket. War is a bloody, killing business. You've got to spill their blood, or they will spill yours." - George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post

Priv makes ammo as does Hornday. Priv also imports bullets and brass. Mine has never shot a round I didn't personally make. Well at least while I've owned it. They are a blast.

My guess is these guns will not come with the enbloc clip, which you will need because the extractor does not like being single fed.

Enbloc Clip
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/Hungarian...spx?TERM=8x56r

(You can mod the clip to make it stay in the gun, and then feed the clip as a normal fixed magazine as well)

Complete Ammo
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/257?

Components
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12658

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/925?

You can also make brass from 7.62x54r brass (or so I've read). Its a few mm shorter but doesn't cause any issues.

Here is mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

What about the Swiss K31?
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

"Governor, I haven't let another man touch my gun since 1861."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBronco View Post
    What about the Swiss K31?
    Classic Firearms and Samco Global have some. None of my distributors do at this point.

K31's are great guns, I have one of those also. Straight pull bolt actions are a hoot.

Graduate
    I've seen the .330 bullets, new brass, and dies for the 8x56R on Gunbroker within the last few days.

But has anyone tried paddling with one yet . . . ??

. . seriously though . . . as long as components and load data exists and the enbloc MAGAZINE (see that, Tack?) is available, I'd call that an abundant source.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    WWWII era 8x56R goes for about a dollar a round now. I have some Hirtenberger made in the late thirties after the Anschluss (when Austria had become a part of Grosse Deutschland) and it is the most ass-kicking ammo I've ever fired in anything short of a .50 BMG. I suspect that Privi probably reduces the charge a bit from that full original military load. The thing about a M-95, though... is that isn't a rifle in the photo. It's either a carbine (small possibility) or a Stutzen (cut down rifle... much more likely). Most of the Gewehrs (long rifles) were cut down to Stutzens in the 1920s and 1930s. I know that perceived recoil is just whatever is perceived... but I swear that the recoil of the full length rifle is even worse than that of the Stutzen. Several Eastern European countries converted long M-95s to what is referred to as M95M configuration to shoot 7.92x57mm (Mauser ammo) after WWII. The recoil on those is more reasonable... but besides the irreplaceable replacement extractor tending to break because the rifle was never intended to handle a rimless round, there is the small matter that although both are called "8mm", Mauser 8mm uses a .321-.323 diameter bullet but "8mm" Mannlicher needs .329 diameter... Mauser bullets tend to sort of bang back and forth side to side as the go down a Mannlicher bore. I haven't checked lately but 8x56R brass has tended over the years to be only episodically available, and .329 isn't a commonly available bullet mold either... but the brass can be made by fireforming 7.62x54 brass... though I can't claim that is always available either. All in all a M-95 of any length is an acquired taste that is hard to feed, but with patience and persistence it can be done. The biggest drawback of all is needing those verdampte enbloc clips. Interestingly, my dad brought one home from WWII. If he ever knew what it was though, I rather suspect that he forgot. When I went through his stuff after he died, he was using it as a giant paper clip.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier