Signal 0
Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I am seriously needing a 3 gun fix.

Ok, I am seriously needing a 3 gun fix.

Anyone know of any near Tallahassee in the not so distant future?
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Junior
    Gainesville Target Range has one every month, 3rd Saturday (coming up soon). I've been meaning to go over and try one out but just haven't made it yet. That's probably the closest out-of-town match. I've talked to a couple of folks who've been over there and they've enjoyed it. There's one in Dothan on a regular basis also that may or may not meet your definition of "near Tallahassee". Too bad they quit having them at the range in Blakely, GA. Great facility. For my old body, right now it's just too damn hot. Waiting for cooler months to try G'ville or Dothan. Yeah, I know. I'm a pussy. I've come to terms with that over the years.

John Rasmusen (Talon) is not doing regularly scheduled 3-gun matches anymore?
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    John Rasmusen (Talon) is not doing regularly scheduled 3-gun matches anymore?
    Not on a regular basis yet. It's difficult to sandwich them in between other matches there and at other ranges. A date will get proposed and others will remind him of another match going on at the same time or same weekend and other issues. Weather has been a problem as well, especially on the competition ranges, i.e., riverfront property. The 3-guns are a little more labor intensive to set up and administer as well. And, as I recall, John's still got a real job that isn't conducive to regularly scheduled anythings.

There are several scheduled 3 gun matches in the area, but they require some effort to attend. This Sunday is Dan Mitchell's monthly (every 4th Sunday) 6 stage 3gun match. Totally outstanding range, props, setup, and stages. $25, 100 rounds each gun plus usually 4 or 5 slugs at less than 100 yards. Monthly match rifle targets are usually less than 300 yards, but the shooting positions are a little brutal. This is not the old Daleville match. Dan built a fantastic 9 bay, plus wooded area out to 300 yards, plus archery range, just outside of Dothan. It's 2.5 hours to get from Bradfordville to the Dothan Gun Range parking lot. That includes a 15 minute stop at Publix for whatever you need to maintain, or drain.

The shooter's meeting is at 9:00 and shooting starts immediately after. We try to get there about 8 to look over what Dan has set up for us before we shoot. Depart 5:30am. That takes a little planning. Truck is packed and locked the nite before, coffee pot timer set, breakfast in the truck on the way over.

And he actually has a 400 yard bay that you can pay a daily rate and figure out your sights on. The bay has an elevated, covered, concrete padded, shooting benched, firing line. The bay is 80 yards wide, 400 long, stub berms on both sides at 100, and on one side at 200 and 300, and target frames and steel targets at all the distances.

We shoot it every month, if you want to follow, holler.
    .....there are no mistakes in life, only lessons.....
    .....don't be upset by results you didn't get, from practice you didn't do.....

I'm looking to hold one in October some time. All of the above that Ken mentioned is true--there simply aren't enough weekends in the month to not conflict with someone else's local match, which I try and avoid. It is also a tremendous amount of work--often I don't even get to shoot the match I set up, as I'm too busy running it. But in the summer time, it mostly boils down to temperature. The last 3-gun match we held in May (I think), about 20 to 25% of the shooters simply left before they finished, because the heat was too much to bear. And I don't blame them--it was miserable. October will bring either a 3-gun match or a 2-gun match (carbine / pistol). Stay tuned!

Don't forget about the Halloween night match!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by razzman1 View Post
    October will bring either a 3-gun match or a 2-gun match (carbine / pistol). Stay tuned!
    Awesome sauce.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

East Alabama Gun Club has their 5th Saturday 3 Gun Nation club match tomorrow in Phenix City, Al
    .....there are no mistakes in life, only lessons.....
    .....don't be upset by results you didn't get, from practice you didn't do.....

Gainesville 3gun Nation club match tomorrow, 3rd Saturday.