Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ok, I am seriously needing a 3 gun fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I assume the majority of folks had issues since the final scores didn't include that stage.
    There were only 5 stages. The form John used to score the match was set up for 6 stages, so one stage/column was blank. 4 was the jungle and 5 was the long range. You won the long range stage overall. I know this is probably a little late.......CONGRATULATIONS!!
    .....there are no mistakes in life, only lessons.....
    .....don't be upset by results you didn't get, from practice you didn't do.....

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by easternrider View Post
    There were only 5 stages. The form John used to score the match was set up for 6 stages, so one stage/column was blank. 4 was the jungle and 5 was the long range. You won the long range stage overall. I know this is probably a little late.......CONGRATULATIONS!!
    I forgot about that. I'll have to go back and take another look at the scores. If I won that stage it proves my point: EVERYONE had issues. I guess my strategy of missing faster disproves the old adage: You CAN miss fast enough to win. Well, under the right circumstances.

EDIT TO ADD - Nope, someone else beat me on that one. Unless you're only looking at my Class. Yes, I was first in my class. A class of 1 whole shooter. Looking at overall scores, YOU were #1 overall for the match, so, CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Last edited by Ken; November 30th, 2015 at 12:14 AM.

This is why I will never win 3 Gun. I don't see hitting the targets as optional, I see it as practice for life or death stuff.

Not saying that those who play it as a game are wrong, I understand its a game to most folks. To me its another drill with stages setup that I can't control.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    This is why I will never win 3 Gun. I don't see hitting the targets as optional, I see it as practice for life or death stuff.

Not saying that those who play it as a game are wrong, I understand its a game to most folks. To me its another drill with stages setup that I can't control.
    So the life or death stuff that you're practicing for are controllable outside the range? Sometimes you just gotta have fun. Nothing wrong with having fun while still doing something serious. That stage told me that, in a (highly unlikely) scenario where the bad guy I need to shoot with that particular rifle is 400 yards away, I'll take cover and wait till he gets closer. You can still learn stuff from the misses.
    Last edited by Ken; November 30th, 2015 at 03:37 PM.

So the life or death stuff that you're practicing for are controllable outside the range?
    I think you misread. I can't control either, IE its not a scenario I dreamed up.

Sometimes you just gotta have fun. Nothing wrong with having fun while still doing something serious. That stage told me that, in a (highly unlikely) scenario where the bad guy I need to shoot with that particular rifle is 400 yards away, I'll take cover and wait till he gets closer. You can still learn stuff from the misses.
    Point well taken, and trust me I enjoy fun.

I just view it as, a marine can get a hit with irons at 400 yards, no reason I should not train to be able to do the same.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I just view it as, a marine can get a hit with irons at 400 yards, no reason I should not train to be able to do the same.
    As someone that attempted this and truly tried, I kind of regret taking my time on these shots. It completely fubar'd my score for the entire match.

I think Ken summarized it well - if I was trying to shoot someone at 400 yards, I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Danman View Post
    As someone that attempted this and truly tried, I kind of regret taking my time on these shots. It completely fubar'd my score for the entire match.
    However, if you had hit them, your manliness factor would have gone up by 50%.

I mean it would move you from girly girl to tomboy.

If the target is a 16" black circle on white background and you got time to do that NRA breathing thingy.
    If the target is full size human target in fair to good light.
    If the target is 10" orange circle in bad light.
    If you're running irons, red dot, good scope, great scope.
    If you're running something that you refused to pay a bunch of money for.

It's a competition. It sorta tells you where you're at right now. Out of breath, can't see target, didn't know where to aim, couldn't get comfortable or get on target, gun jambed, mag jambed, mag was too long or too short - whatever! Now you know what to work on/fix.

Competitions are not defensive drills. However, I really don't see how they would hurt when you do choose to do defensive drills, or have to.
    .....there are no mistakes in life, only lessons.....
    .....don't be upset by results you didn't get, from practice you didn't do.....