I made some .300 Blackout a couple of months ago for Talon2. I didn't do any real load development, I just found a recipe, verified it safe in his gun and cranked out a batch for him.

It was not a particularly impressive load, in my opinion. But I didn't have any of what is apparently the preferred powder (H-110).

Last week, the stars aligned - thanks to Marcus - and I got my grubby paws on a couple of pounds of H110. So I started doing some . . . experimenting.

My conclusion? Damned impressive little cartridge.

I only worked on the supersonic side this week but what it is capable of is nothing to sneeze at.

125gr Hornady SST pushed at just a smidgen over 2200 FPS.

Guarantee you that inside a couple of hundred yards or so ain't no beast in these parts, four legged or two, going to shrug off this little thumper. At 200 yards it rings a steel silhouette like a church bell. Makes it dance the hokey-pokey on its hanger.

There simply IS NO comparison to the "ting" the 5.56 causes on the same target.

All in all, it has me convinced it is about the perfect middle ground between the 5.56 poodle shooter cartridge and the .308.

So . . . . my mind is made up. I'm saying goodby to the 5.56 upper, and hello to a .300 Blackout. It is a win-win in my book for sure.