Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berger 75g VLD .224 bullets

Berger 75g VLD .224 bullets

So, I picked up a box of 100 of these for load development, and am finding that I cannot safely make them fit into a magazine. anyone know of a trick, or want to trade them for a 75g bullet that will fit in a magazine? I've got 95 of them left.
    I will always place the mission first. I will never accept defeat. I will never quit. I will never leave a fallen comrade. Excerpt from the Soldier's Creed

Load single shot... I've done that before with AR's and bolt guns. An empty magazine will catch the BCG after each shot facilitating another loading of a fresh cartridge. With a bolt gun you can buy a single shot follower sled that does the same thing... I believe you can also alter an AR magazine with a single shot sled.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

Suppose I could do that, just wish I knew that before I bought them, kinda sucks to have a magazine I cant use
    I will always place the mission first. I will never accept defeat. I will never quit. I will never leave a fallen comrade. Excerpt from the Soldier's Creed

Why would these not work for you? Enlighten me, I know nothing about it.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

Graduate
    Ok, mike..
    Can you stabilize a 77 gr? (Sierra says 1:8 twist) some say it will work in a 9 twist, others say no.
    If so, I'll swap some sierra match king 77 gr, that can be loaded to mag length.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Ok, mike..
    Can you stabilize a 77 gr? (Sierra says 1:8 twist) some say it will work in a 9 twist, others say no.
    If so, I'll swap some sierra match king 77 gr, that can be loaded to mag length.
    I've used the 77 SMK's in a 1:9 16" mid length upper loaded to fit a mag and they shot great out to 250 or so. I never tried them farther out. Trust Sierra when they say that they are not suitable for game. They do not expand, tumble or fragment. They just punch a tiny clean hole.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFingergasm View Post
    Why would these not work for you? Enlighten me, I know nothing about it.
    The bullets ogive is pretty extreme, so when you seat the bullet properly there is a really long tip that catches on the magazine body. it's a good design for long range shooting, but not so good for fitting in a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikec2003 View Post
    The bullets ogive is pretty extreme, so when you seat the bullet properly there is a really long tip that catches on the magazine body. it's a good design for long range shooting, but not so good for fitting in a magazine.

+1. I have used these in .308. Both 168s in the bolt gun and "hybrid" 230s in my 300 blackout loads. Using even the hybrids had I needed to seat .005 deeper I couldn't have used them - nothing but taper to try and get a crimp on.

On the plus side though . . . you can sure load less powder and still make the target velocity 'cause the dang case is full of bullet!
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

well, problem solved, thanks Mapper!