Signal 0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: load development questions

Graduate
    if single loaded in a ar platform, and not stripped from a mag, with .015 jump,
    any issues with the federal primers (1:8 twist on that one) otherthan soft, and watching for peircing and cratering..
    I 'd like to see what the 77 SMK will do in it anyways..

it would not be a bad choice for me to try, as I know what the rifle will do with commercial ammo..
    and I don't mind single loading..

Sophomore
    Mapper - All the information that I have given to you is based on our AR Service rifles that have 1in7.7 Kreiger barrels with Wylde chambers. When I was piercing primers I had a CLE chamber (extra virginal tight) and that might have been part of it. A 1in8 will shoot 77s and 80s just fine. The 77 SMK was designed to be loaded at magazine length for matches like the National Trophy Infantry Team (Rattle Battle) where you start at 600 yards and fire as many rounds as you can get on a target in 50 seconds.
    As for the Federals, try them, if your not using super hot loads they may be fine, just start at a reasonable load and work up safely.

Graduate
    for higher charges out of the choice of federal,cci 400,or winchester primers what would be better
    I,m trying for a single load that works well in bolt or gas gun, with similar lenght chambers
    But diffrent lenght barrels

Sophomore
    Mapper check your PM

Graduate
    I loaded up 6 diffrent powder charges at 0.020 off the lands and headed out to the range, these were single loaded, 10 shot group 100 yds,

i'm going to shoot 2 5 shot groups next with the 24.1 and 24.5 as well as mag length and see where that takes me, primers looked good, at 0.020 from lands.. the 24.1 group had the most consistient velocity spread (29) the graph paper is 1/4" grid, and I did pull a couple of shots , comments welcome..this is out of the longest chamber rifle.

I was trying for a single load to try in a single shot, so that explains why loaded long..

Attachment 1519
    Attachment 1518

Attachment 1516
    Last edited by mapper; December 31st, 2013 at 08:04 PM.

I believe that rifle can do significantly better.

I could be wrong but when I looked at those groups what came to mind was . . . . "it looks like he is breathing".

Remember to break your shot during the natural respiratory pause after an exhalation.

Again, I may be wrong and if I am I apologize to you. But that is what my spontaneous thought was.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    DSCF0609.jpgDSCF0611.jpgDSCF0612.jpgDSCF0613.jpg

its indian error for sure..arrow is ok..

it seemed to like the 24.5 load, not much diffrent .020 or .100 off lands.. first 2 were mag length, next were loaded long.. 5 shot group
    Last edited by mapper; December 31st, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Graduate
    thanks to all..
    these were my first reloads..
    Dropping this off here for now,
    Decent discussion on neck straightness
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=610795
    Last edited by mapper; March 1st, 2021 at 11:43 PM.