Signal 0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Realoding newbie

Realoding newbie

Im looking into reloading primarily for .300 BLK, but also for 9mm, .223, and .270. Which do you guys recommend, the RCBS turret or the lee classic turret?

Graduate
    Neither. Go with Dillon Precision stuff. They have a chart that makes recommendations for how much you plan on reloading. Buy once, cry once.

Graduate
    Look at it from the number of rounds needed total, and the time availible to load.
    Then work backwards.

I have red and blue presses.
    As well as red blue and green dies.

But it will generally shake out in this order
    High volume = progressive
    Medium volume = self indexing turret or standard turret
    Lower volume or high(er) precision of each step = single stage

But like everything else there are exceptions to rules.

Everyone has their favorite gear

But between the two choices you listed id take the lee classic cast turret.
    As turrets are $12, so fast and easy caliber swaps
    And I like mine for both pistol and rifle.

Don't worry though, someone else will come along and say a rockchucker, or a co-ax, or a redding T7, or dillon 650 or a hornady lock n load ap

In otherwords 'Murica!

Graduate
    I'm partial to the Dillon 650 myself, but I could see someone going for the RL550B if they weren't going to shoot as much. The two reasons I don't get a 1050 are #1 - It's considered a commercial machine, so the free replacement parts I get with the 650 isn't there, and #2 - Although it jams up much less frequently than the 650, when the 650 jams up (which isn't often), I can fix it 99% of the time by tapping it. When a 1050 jams up, it's much more involved.

Every year at the USPSA National Championships, the competitors fill out an equipment survey that is very comprehensive. USPSA is pretty much the gold standard for high-volume shooters, in case you didn't know, and at the 2015 Nationals, 93% of Limited Division shooters and 97% of Open Division shooters used Dillon reloading equipment for their match ammo. I have a link around here somewhere that showed the automatic powder dispenser on the 650 was the most consistent powder dispenser out there on any progressive press. It costs, but worth every penny and then some.

I sort of understand Mapper's polygamy, I do...

Freshman
    I've been reloading since the first of the year on a single stage press (RCBS), mainly because it was a present. I enjoy it but it's slow. My next press will be a Dillon 550 or 650 not really because I shoot a lot but I don't have that much time.

Also, check out The Reloading Podcast they have a lot of good information and a couple of podcasts on presses.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    I hav used a rcbs rockchucker for over 40 yrs,have used several different brands for the last 54yrs.I use a lee for my pistol ammo,no problem.I had a Dillon 20yrs ago and hated the damn jamming thing.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Graduate
    Which Dillon? I've never had that problem and I've been using them for about 17 years. Between my old roommate and I we had two 650's and a 1050 at one point and they run like champs. While I'm always ready to accept a lemon in the production line it would be the exception rather than the rule.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    AB,i do not remember which one but it was unacceptable I still have a lyman turret press that my son is using that is over 50yrs old.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

My dad just bought a RCBS rock chucker supreme master kit. What are the best dies to use for .300 BLK.

Graduate
    RCBS small base, I think in the 300BLK they call them the AR series.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .