Signal 0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 231/HP38 Being Phased Out

Win 231/HP38 Being Phased Out

"Winchester 231 certainly has been hard to get. The plant that makes Winchester powders does not want to make 231 as well as a few other powders. These older technology powders have different chemistry than the new powders and this older chemistry makes it much slower to make powder: basically, you can make about 2.5 times as many pounds of new chemistry powder in the time it takes to make 1 pound of old chemistry powder. During the process of making the old powders, the waste stream created is huge compared to the waste stream of the new chemistry powders. Chemical waste is very expensive to get rid of. So, the plant wants to phase out the old chemistry powders and replace them with new chemistry powders. While they are still making 231, the amount is being reduced and the amount of new powder such as Titegroup and Longshot is being increased.
    Now, we are kind of stuck in the middle. The market is demanding 231 but the maker is not wanting to produce the powder. The result is, over time, 231 is going to go away. Shooters should begin using other powders as they can.

Mike Daly
    Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
    Hodgdon Smokeless Powder
    IMR Powder Company
    Winchester Smokeless Propellants
    GOEX Blackpowder"
    None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license.
    --John Milton

Only digging in on the position of the truth – yes, I defend guns because guns are useful for killing criminals and tyrants – is going to be successful. Only the truth shall set you free.

Graduate
    Do they offer a straight replacement? Titegroup and Longshot is what they're offering I guess?

Dunno. Just passing along the information as I find it.
    None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license.
    --John Milton

Only digging in on the position of the truth – yes, I defend guns because guns are useful for killing criminals and tyrants – is going to be successful. Only the truth shall set you free.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Graduate
    I'll continue to use bullseye, the waste stream is included in the powder, and goes out the barrel.

there are posts of it on most of the forums,
    But hodgdon only markets powder, they don't make it.

Here is a post from brian enos forums,
    Look at the reply from dilon precision
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...219779&hl=
    Last edited by mapper; August 14th, 2015 at 12:14 AM.

Graduate
    So china is about to get in the powder business ? It seems that when us companies stop making a product that is in demand the Chinese start.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Funny how that works ...........

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Except for a few types, Clinton stopped the flow of arms and ammo from China. The ban probably includes powder. Without that ban, I think we would be seeing a lot of Chinese ammo, bullets, primers and powder right now.

Now, we are kind of stuck in the middle.
    I think that "stuck" is the wrong word. There are a number of powders available that offer the same or better performance and versatility.

I think the guy is pissed because now he has to workup his loads again.

. . oh, by the way, as far as performance profile Winchester Super Field is darned near a 1:1 replacement and that is without even checking my notes, I'm sure there are AA/Hodgdon powders too, but you still have to work up your loads again.

Just my opinion . .
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Screw it. I'm going back to Goex FFF for all my handgun reloads.
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock