Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  119
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie reloading questions

NJC you have 1K .40S&W brass headed your way... all in 50 round boxes.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

PM inbound
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Going to order these projos tonight unless the wisdom here says otherwise.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/105...ProductFinding

Was going to order some frog snot ones like AB shoots but I can get these for the same price. Lots of good reviews online.

I bought 1k of winchester small pistol primers today. Hope to make a trip to DSH tomorrow to track down a lb of powder. Brass is on the way. Once I sell this refrigerator the press will be on its way, or maybe sooner we will see.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

http://www.xtremebullets.com/10-40-1...80hp-b0500.htm

Cheaper. I shoot 38 and 9mm stuff, its good. Supposed to be a thicker pleating than rainier and berrys..

Sometimes you can find powder online at basspro. Buy $100 worth or something and the shipping is free (including hazmat). Prices can be highish, but not Kevins high.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/store/ 40 Caliber - 170 RNF (.401). If you want to try a handful of these, PM me. Jim
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Thanks Dale, I remember you saying about the powder from basspro. I figure that for this first batch I will try to find a pound of powder at DSH or KEvins and be free of the hazmat. Also the gunshow is weekend after next and they usually have a bunch of reloading stuff.

Rumbler gave me a long list of powders he uses for my appication so I think I should be bale to find something. Should this be a success and I continue to reload, I will definitely buyin larger quantities.

JMW, thanks for that offer and link.

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Hand loading can be as expensive or as inexpensive, as fast or as slow, as exact or as loosey-goosey, as run-of-the-mill or cutting edge, as up-to-the-minute or as retro, as you want it to be. Sometimes I like to just sit and load brass shotgun shells with a hand primer, a stick I whittled to barely fit inside of the shells, wads I cut from cardboard using a chamfered pistol cartridge in the right caliber, a hammer.... and some melted beeswax. I suppose if I really, really, wanted to go completely low tech I could figure out how to de-prime without a press and how to prime without a store-bought priming tool. But that would be just too much of an affectation, because bottom line, there really isn't any truly low tech with cartridge firearms. I always advise buying cheap equipment to start and working up after you are sure you really want to hand load stuff, but buying good manuals appropriate to the kind of loading one plans to do... AND READING THEM! The Lee and Lyman manuals are the most generally applicable because they aren't solely written to hawk proprietary components... but whatever manuals a new hand loader looks at they should read the general conceptual part a few times before going to a specific caliber and starting to assemble ammunition. The devil isn't entirely in the details. It's just as much in having a clear understanding of general concepts many of which change somewhat from pistol, to rifle, to shotgun... and moreso, much, much, moreso for "black" as opposed to smokeless powder. Take smokeless powder concepts to loading black powder, and you can seriously blow something up (possibly yourself) in short order... and to some extent, vice versa. I specialize in loading almost everything under the sun, some of which involves cardboard templates to cut paper cartridges or paper-patched (wrapped) bullets, but as of yet I still haven't gotten around to buying any Dillon presses.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    I agree with you winter soldier,I had one of the blue beasts 20yrs ago,do not plan on owning another one.I let some other guy own the blue bastard.Hated it.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I agree with you winter soldier,I had one of the blue beasts 20yrs ago,do not plan on owning another one.I let some other guy own the blue bastard.Hated it.
    That's a total 180 degrees from my experience! I absolutely love mine.

I am pretty close to not buying anymore plates bullets. You have to watch and make sure you don't overcrimp. Not so with the fmj bullets like the precision delta ones. Starting off the plated are fine though. The most important thing is to just do it.
    Glad you are doing it, we can always use another hobby.
    Putting the Harm in Pharmacist