Signal 0
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thank You Event - Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
    Dont apologize to me dude, I see what you're saying. The question remains; who or what are we thanking?
    That was a general, not at you.

And yes, that's my question as also.
    Sent from an Altoids Tin via Morse Code

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Craw is right. You guys just can't keep up.

I like the idea. The event is one I would like to attend. However, I also feel that open carry is a bad idea. The concept is a whole lot like the segregation of blacks, women's rights, or gay marriage... The public is just not ready for the change yet. It must be made in small doses. The political climate of the sheep pack is simply not ready to witness several of their flock suddenly showing their wolf teeth. How about a "conceal carry" event? -even though I am sure most in attendance will be packing anyway.

Also, along with Preston Scott, that fellow from Freedom 93.3 (An AirForce Veteran) may be good to include. Forget his name... He is on in the afternoons
    “Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.”
    ― Thucydides, The History of the Peloponnesian War

“Three of the greatest failings, want of sense, of courage, or of vigilance.”
    ― Thucydides, The History of the Peloponnesian War

Either way, I'll come. I'll just let the wife carry and I'll continuously lead a 4 hour Lord Calvert fueled "U.S.A." chant.
    Any one else?

Name:  TRC.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  64.9 KB
    "This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."

Captain Steve Rogers

I'm not sure I understand the concern about open carry. The intent isn't (as I understand it) to invite the great unwashed masses, but first responders. Now fireman and EMS folks may not be comfortable around guns, but I would expect most law enforcement folks to be comfortable, and if not, the point was (again, as I understood it) to start to establish that comfort for them.

If they arrived and left because they decided they didn't like citizens carrying guns, they probably aren't going to change their mind regardless of what we do.

The idea was to thank them, and at the same time subtly do a soft presentation of responsible citizens who are also gun owners.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Either way, I'll come. I'll just let the wife carry and I'll continuously lead a 4 hour Lord Calvert fueled "U.S.A." chant.
    Jafar - "MURICA!"

Everyone else - "FUCK YEAH!"
    Sent from an Altoids Tin via Morse Code

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Craw is right. You guys just can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by OscarMike1127 View Post
    I like the idea. The event is one I would like to attend. However, I also feel that open carry is a bad idea. The concept is a whole lot like the segregation of blacks, women's rights, or gay marriage... The public is just not ready for the change yet. It must be made in small doses. The political climate of the sheep pack is simply not ready to witness several of their flock suddenly showing their wolf teeth. How about a "conceal carry" event? -even though I am sure most in attendance will be packing anyway.

Also, along with Preston Scott, that fellow from Freedom 93.3 (An AirForce Veteran) may be good to include. Forget his name... He is on in the afternoons
    I think it's time we start sittin' our asses in the front of the bus then.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

What I am seeing is an opportunity for something that goes beyond a single event. I see something more like an organization that, as a main annual event puts on a “Recognition Picnic” for First R’s along with Military and their families. The goal, as I see it is to, on a local level, close the gap between the general public and the LEO’s, and to promote the Constitution. There is a trend, as I’m sure you are all aware, of a widening gap between the public and LEO’s. Just do a search on you tube for “cop vs” and remember that this is where the next generation is getting their information. The confrontational approach to achieving general acceptance of a 2A society will not work. As polebarn said, we are fighting generations of indoctrination.
    With that said, I think we should start with the picnic. Not an open carry rally. We need to be very careful to avoid ALL politicizing of this event. As was said, we should NOT promote it on PS’s show, mention the NRA or initially show any pro gun stance. That will alienate much of the public that we need to reach. I know that it sounds like I am proposing the “using” of the First R’s as a tool to achieve a political goal and that is a fair assessment because it is the truth. However our point is to show appreciation, make their lives easier and safer and to effectively promote the same things that we, and most of them believe in.
    Once this event becomes an accepted community tradition, we can then start to slowly and carefully ease in our agenda but from an established position of acceptance in the community.

Yeah, your heart's in the right place, but not something I'm interested in.
    I hear you and completely understand. I would much rather take a hammer and bash in the zombies sculls but it's illegal to do that and they are voters.

Will you at least come in and eat some pig?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I hear you and completely understand. I would much rather take a hammer and bash in the zombies sculls

Sounds kinky.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Has anyone done anything like this before? I'm wondering if it has been, how it was handled. If not, we're going into uncharted territory. There are always arguments for taking things easy and slowly turning up the heat. I don't think we've got that kind of time. I think open-carry would be a great way to make us indistinguishable from those that attend. I think we would be covered if any advertisement or flyer or ANYTHING we put out to promote the event clearly stated that it is both alcohol free and open-carry friendly, that would prevent surprises and the combination of the two statements would put some minds at ease.

I met the new TPD Police Chief last night, and he seems like a pretty stand up guy. I think it would be wonderful if we approached him with the idea and got his feedback.