Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thank You Event - Discussion

I would also like to throw out there that if PS is involved, he be asked to keep it off his morning show. At least not talk about it untill AFTER the event.

It would be a great way to get the word out, BUT.... I can see that spirling out of control PDQ. The last thing you want, if the idea is to simply thank the local first responders, is a bunch of local news vans lined up trying to get interviews....
    Sent from an Altoids Tin via Morse Code

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Craw is right. You guys just can't keep up.

I have to disagree, the way to get people comfortable around guns is to take the mystic aura away from them. If people start to see them on your belt like a cell phone it becomes common place, the fact that we are required to hide our weapons implies there is something wrong with carrying that must be hidden from proper folk.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Quote Originally Posted by 0utlaw View Post
    I have to disagree, the way to get people comfortable around guns is to take the mystic aura away from them. If people start to see them on your belt like a cell phone it becomes common place, the fact that we are required to hide our weapons implies there is something wrong with carrying that must be hidden from proper folk.

I know, and I struggled with that very thing while I was writing that. There is no easy answer, I'm just offering another perspective.

I guess it comes down to how much of a 2A statement do you want to make vs. how comfortable do you want to make the "guests of honor". The truth is not EVERY person that will/would attend is going to be cool with seeing a bunch of folks they don't know with guns. However, if we were to subtly show them that yes, we are gun owners and supporters of the constitution, and we are ALSO normal people. Not the right wing radicals that we are often portrayed to be, I think that will be better received by the masses.

Maybe I misunderstood the point of the event, but I thought it was to thank this group of people, not convert them. And the hard reality is this, with all the media attention surrounding guns right now, it WILL APPEAR to be politically motivated if we all strap up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
    Fuck the public, twice

not sure what you are saying here....

There are generations of people uncomfortable with guns and being around them won't change their minds. Brainwashed by the schools,the government, and the news media they are lost to reeducation. Such thinking assumes common sense and we have lost common ground as a people. Divisiveness,sensory overload and a feel of a total lack of control or purpose except for short term self satisfaction has replaced the values of hard work,self reliance, and a hope for the future that used to unite us. But I digress....

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy34 View Post

not sure what you are saying here....
    I think he's saying to fuck the public. Twice. They're all morons and sheep, for the most part.

If this is going to be a touchy feely let's make sure nobody is in no way anxious or uncomfortable event I'll just bow out here per Mike's request as I would have no interest in participating in that type of event.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Quote Originally Posted by 0utlaw View Post
    If this is going to be a touchy feely let's make sure nobody is in no way anxious or uncomfortable event I'll just bow out here per Mike's request as I would have no interest in participating in that type of event.
    Pump ya brakes Buggs....

I'm just offering up an alternate perspective and trying to think the whole thing thru. I'm still admittedly confused and slightly unsure of how this will/should proceed. That's the purpose of the discussion.

Don't take your ball home just yet...

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyBrent View Post
    Actually, the Division of Recreation and Parks does have the authority to ban firearms from state parks under FSS 258.007, their rule making authority. It is specifically prohibited in fac62d-2 [ 62D-2.014 Activities and Recreation. section 10] [link below]:

(10) Hunting and Firearms. Hunting, trapping or the pursuit of wildlife is prohibited on all park property, except in Reserves,
    as authorized by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. No person shall use, carry, or possess in any park
    weapons such as firearms of any type, air rifles, spring guns, bows and arrows, gigs (except in areas where gigs may be legally used
    for saltwater fishing), sling shots, or any other forms of weapons or trapping devices potentially dangerous to wildlife or human
    safety except when such weapons or traps are used for resource management purposes as authorized in this subsection.Shooting
    into park areas from beyond park boundaries is prohibited. Any device which is employed to kill, immobilize, or capture any
    wildlife or any device otherwise used in violation of this chapter shall be seized and confiscated by law enforcement officers. The
    Division may authorize the control of nuisance animals and may remove all exotic animals from parks by trapping and other
    necessary means for park resource management purposes. Such authorization shall be in the form of a license, permit, or contract
    negotiated by the parties or made pursuant to an advertised bid by the Division. Authorization may be obtained in the same manner
    as stated in subsection 62D-2.013(7), F.A.C., herein.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/Law/docum...k/fac62d-2.pdf

FSS 790 specifically reserves the right to control firearms to the State of Florida, of which DEP is a part. And the state legislature has empowered them to make such rules as are necessary to manage state parks. Unlike counties and cities, possession of firearms in a state park not only can be restricted, it has been. And it carries the weight of law.

Check me on this, please. But I think that I would respect the no firearms signs at state parks.
    Just for clarification, that link is not functioning, there is a new pdf and it reads

"No person shall use or openly display in any state park weapons such as firearms of any type, air rifles, spring guns, cross bows, bows and arrows, gigs (except in areas where gigs may be legally used for saltwater fishing), sling shots, electronic weapons, devices which fire a dart or projectile, or any other forms of weapons or trapping devices potentially dangerous to wildlife or human safety except when such weapons or traps are used for resource management purposes as authorized in this subsection. "

Doesn't say you cant carry, just that you can not USE or DISPLAY.....
    "This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."

Captain Steve Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
    I'm thinking that the OP had this in mind as a pro 2A event, which would require the public assuming that guns would be apart of it. I could never imagine walking into a group of people all open carrying and not thinking "'Murica, fuck yeah."

If the public are squeamish to the idea of guns they can go to the countless other gun-free events that happen every weekend. That, or try some old fashioned Uncle Peter's Pussy Poultice and get over it. Ya dig?

To have this event without the presence of firearms would be the equivalent of the French celebrating a won battle.

I get that. I really do. And like I already said, I'm admittedly unsure/confused.

My interpretation was this was more of a "thank you" event hosted by a bunch of guys that like guns than a pro-2A event. If I was off base I apologize.

For the record, I'm cool with OC for the event. I was just trying to accommodate what I THOUGHT the event was about.