PDA

View Full Version : New class added to 2016 training schedule

NJC
December 11th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Flashlights – A discussion and practical application of flashlights in low light shooting environments.

Instructor: NJC for Signal-0 Productions.
Date : Friday February 12th 2016 from 8:00pm to Midnight
Cost : $65.00 per person. (Cash, Money Order , Personal check payable at beginning of class)
Class size: 8 (max due to content)

Pre-requisites : Due to the nature of this class, it is not for novice shooters, but this is a introduction level class. Proof of completion of a Basic Pistol class or similar from a recognized (by me) school. Military or Law Enforcement training will substitute . Student pre-requisites will be evaluated on a case by case basis. IPSC / IDPA / USPSA ranked shooters will also qualify.

Equipment :
Handgun with a minimum of three(3) magazines.
300 – 400 rounds of factory ammunition (depending on the pace of the class)
Holster and belt. (No shoulder holsters or crossdraws please)
Hand held and / or weapon mounted flashlight. (Both preferred)
Batteries for your flashlight(s)
Typical range equipment (eye pro, ear pro, baseball cap, water , snacks, cleaning kit etc)
Pen and paper.

This class will introduce students to concepts and equipment related to shooting a handgun in a low light / no light setting. This class assumes a basic level of ability has already been achieved by the student.
We will discuss flashlights, both hand held and weapon mounted.
We will discuss and demonstrate capability (beam types) and functionality (how they work) and what may best suit your situation.
We will discuss batteries, mounting flashlights on pistols, cleaning, maintenance and function testing.

On the range we will shoot both group and individual drills that will let the student see the impact of flashlights and flashlight techniques on weapon manipulation and marksmanship. This will involve some static known distance drills on paper along with some drills incorporating movement, use of cover and shooting steel at unknown distances (approximately 25yds and in)

Students will leave with class with a higher level of confidence and comfort in their ability to shoot and run a pistol and a flashlight in low light / no light environments. As with all skills, once the basic knowledge and understanding is acquired, students are encouraged to practice frequently to keep these skills current. Simply put this class is the start of that journey, not the end.

NOTE: Students need to bring any and all tools, specific to or necessary for, field-level repairs to their firearm, mounts, optics, sights, stocks, holsters, or any other item(s) deemed critical for training.

We are NOT responsible for a situation where an equipment or ammunition failure prevents a student from participating. We will make every reasonable effort to get you back up and running including loaning you a firearm, magazine, etc., subject to availability.

Registration : As with all Signal-0 classes, please contact Airgator to register. I will contact you and confirm with you that the pre-requisites are met and then you will have a confirmed spot in the class.

I have tried to be a detailed and a clear as I could in this COURSE OVERVIEW / DESCRIPTION. Please post any questions here you may have relative to the course. I will try my best to answer them as I am available.

Thanks

waukeenahbob
December 11th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Sounds great!

I'm in for 3 slots... PM sent

Tack Driver
December 11th, 2015, 03:11 PM
300-500 rounds in 4 hours?!

Also, why do I need a ball cap at night?

NJC
December 11th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Tack,

Ball caps or boonies can help prevent hot brass being lodged between eye pro and the shooters face. It hurts.

As for Ammo requirement, that is an estimate. You will probably bring some home.

Airgator0470
December 11th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Tack,

Ball caps or boonies can help prevent hot brass being lodged between eye pro and the shooters face. It hurts.

As for Ammo requirement, that is an estimate. You will probably bring some home.

Sounds like someone does not care about their family....

Dale Gribble
December 11th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Sounds like someone does not care about their family....

His family is a few chickens and his nuts.

NJC
December 22nd, 2015, 07:21 PM
class is more than half full.

0utlaw
December 22nd, 2015, 07:59 PM
Or less than half empty....depending on what kind of person you are

thedishdoc
December 22nd, 2015, 11:19 PM
Does the light have to be mounted on the pistol or can it just be a pistola and a hand held? I'm still a caveman.

e.money83
December 23rd, 2015, 09:45 AM
Does the light have to be mounted on the pistol or can it just be a pistola and a hand held? I'm still a caveman.

Hand held and / or weapon mounted flashlight. (Both preferred)]

<_<

Tack Driver
December 23rd, 2015, 10:50 AM

You don't think you can get un cavemanned by FEBRUARY?!

thedishdoc
December 24th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Six months out of work puts a hell of a dent in the toy budget!

Tack Driver
December 24th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Six months out of work puts a hell of a dent in the toy budget!

I've got a light bearing G19 holster you can use. :dunno:

AB
December 24th, 2015, 09:40 PM
I have a spare G22/G17 light bearing holster you can use if you don't have a 19.

NJC
December 28th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Two spots left !

thedishdoc
December 29th, 2015, 08:53 PM
I run the M&P 9mm

NJC
January 29th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Alright Guys, We are two weeks out from this class.

I have 6 people who have committed to take this class. If plans have changed, please notify me ASAP. I will be sending an email to confirmed attendees here in the next few minutes.

Two slots still open. I think everyone will enjoy the curriculum.

Thanks

NJC

NJC
February 3rd, 2016, 07:17 PM
One spot open

All participants have been emailed. Please check inbox / spam folder and respond.

Looking forward to training with you all on the 12 th.

NJC
February 13th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Had a great class last night.
No safety issues , great participation.
Lots of interesting discussion and some very impressive shooting.

Thanks to AirGator for helping facilitate this class.

Airgator0470
February 13th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Great class Nigel... I had a great time and enjoyed the content. Bob and his crew did great, very impressive... Bob, you're doing a great job with your boys... was a pleasure to meet them and see you guys work together. 0600 came early for me, we had a good day today... look forward to tomorrow.

Danman
February 13th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Great job Nigel - I thought you structured the class very well and it was great to shoot with a great group of guys. Looking forward to future courses from Signal-0.

Bob - see you in the AM bro.

NJC
February 13th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks Danman.

Airgator0470
February 13th, 2016, 10:09 PM
I'd like to post a few pictures if folks in the class don't mind...

NJC
February 13th, 2016, 10:25 PM
I'm cool with it as long as you blur out my face like the cool kids ;-)

0utlaw
February 14th, 2016, 03:00 PM
We'd all appreciate that :flamer:

12bhunting
February 14th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I guess you figure if your face is blurred out it makes you more incognito, even though anyone who actually wanted to locate you could easily do it without a pic? Like show up at a Thursday lunch and sit at a far table while checking off whoever post that they are "in"..... Fuck now I have to go to dark horse and get more tin foil and gear....

NJC
February 14th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Only been to lunch one Thursday after tumbler died.
Believe me I'm painfully aware OPSEC and PERSEC has been blown here for me.

However I do understand that with the job I have and having a marked take home makes disappearing difficult , it would be foolish to think you are the only one who has considered this.

12bhunting
February 14th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Only been to lunch one Thursday after tumbler died.
Believe me I'm painfully aware OPSEC and PERSEC has been blown here for me.
Future possible career paths for me will mean that I want be able to post here any more. No big loss for either party I guess ;-)

However I do understand that withe the job I have and having a marked take home makes disappearing difficult , it would be foolish to think you are the only one who has considered this.

Well then does it not also seem foolish that you would want your face blurred out when you are the one teaching the class That is listed for all the world to see? Or is signal O some kind of on the down low operation now?

NJC
February 14th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Nope. It was a joke a jab using sarcasm that apparently flew by you.

Tell you what. Discuss this with yourself and let me know what my final decision should be.

Lastly thinking AirGator has the skills to either post or blur out pics is in itself humor.

12bhunting
February 14th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Nope. It was a joke a jab using sarcasm that apparently flew by you.

Tell you what. Discuss this with yourself and let me know what my final decision should be.

Lastly thinking AirGator has the skills to either post or blur out pics is in itself humor.

I believe you are the one who missed the sarcasm, I figured the tin foil comment would give it away....... Lighten up man it's Sunday...

NJC
February 14th, 2016, 05:25 PM
No

0utlaw
February 14th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Does this mean we're not blurring out yer ugly mug?

NJC
February 14th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I guess !!
I'm waiting on the decision.

If we need to can you do it ??
Our web guy is kinda a tard ;-)

waukeenahbob
February 15th, 2016, 11:15 AM
No problem for me, GREAT class btw

Tack Driver
February 15th, 2016, 11:19 AM
First off, it was pitch fuckin' dark. Zero ambient light. Zero moonlight. One of the darkest nights I've ever trained or practiced in. While that simplifies things from a shooter's perspective, I can only imagine how tough it is from an instructional standpoint.

NJC did an awesome job with what I can only assume was his maiden class with Signal-0. He's a fine addition to an already outstanding outfit.

For folks that had previous no/low light experience, this was a great refresher and the drills were very well designed to challenge everybody. For folks with less time in the dark, it was as good of a foundation as could be built to help them remove the stigma and apprehension some have with shooting and moving in the dark. One primary example is how NJC created great visuals to explain splash-back and why it's so important to mitigate it. We all tend to worry about our own vision, and it's easy to not consider what it looks like down range which you have to factor in (assuming you don't like getting dead).

Andrew, that's some fine hand modeling you did there.

Having had two previous no/low light training classes with other instructors, and what must be near a hundred hours of practice at night, and being a "lumenholic" there wasn't anything earth shattering in this for me. I guess what I'm saying is that....well....I'm just too cool for school.

Constructive criticism? I haven't seen anybody else do it, probably because my no/low light instruction has been with LEO instructors, but more in the curriculum about techniques and best practices to preserve night adapted vision would add a little punch. Obviously impossible to demonstrate given the ambient conditions, but as I know NJC and Bob know, you can get a lot of shit done on a moonlit night if you preserve your night adapted vision. Also, I did kind of expected complimentary Guinness and Shepard's Pie.

Signal-0 as always, worth every penny.

0utlaw
February 15th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I guess !!
I'm waiting on the decision.

If we need to can you do it ??
Our web guy is kinda a tard ;-)

If you're serious yeah I can do it, just send them to me and I'll send them back to you to post.

NJC
February 15th, 2016, 12:06 PM
If you're serious yeah I can do it, just send them to me and I'll send them back to you to post.

No not serious. Surfer 5 is the web guy.
;-)

NJC
February 15th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Wbob- glad you and the litter enjoyed it. You have some good men there.
Tack- thanks for the AAR. Yes first sig-0 class. Very far from first one I've thought though.
Interesting thoughts on preserving night vision, we covered it a little discussing splash back but it may warrant some time.
Yes it was dark.

The shepherds pie and Guinness was at the beginning of the class, you know the part you missed because you were late.