PDA

View Full Version : Rumbler... The Legend

0utlaw
October 18th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I don't know about you guys but I already miss the cantankerous old fuck so I thought I'd start this thread to share some of our memories of him.

I'll start with mine, the first time I ever met him I didn't actually know I had. I was an RSO at the WCSO range and this guy would roll up in a crappy old blue chevy at 0 dark thirty every Saturday morning, unload about 10 tons of gear out of the trunk, set up on the far right of the 100 yard range and go to work. At first I thought he was just one of those OCD range geeks we get out there sometimes but after watching him a few days I could tell he was a serious shooter. He logged all his shots, was very meticulous with brass took copious amounts of notes, etc.
So one Saturday he comes out and is setting up a chronograph (a new deal for him) and with his usual precision sets up the rest of his gear gets everything ready, and promptly shoots the leg off the chrono...........
So when I was reading TGF that night I read where Rumbler posted about trying to chrono his new .308 load he was working up but having "trouble with the chronograph"............and the light came on! He was not what I had expected at all, if any of yall remember the Rumbler from the TGF days, so I posted asking if it was an electronic issue or a mechanical one :flamer: and he said "you'd think as much as these things cost they'd be able to take a round or two before they fell down...."
Anyway we butted heads several times over there but both respected each other for the passion we'd bring to an argument and neither of us would resort to mudslinging if we got caught on the losing side.
When TGF went crazy and banned him (again) for the last time in typical Mike fashion he started CCGF (originally notTGF) and in the end made Sweete's decision look like an act of slow motion suicide.

I think ( I hope) that this forum turned into everything he had hoped and then some. His intention was to build a community, in the end he built a family.

Miss you brother.

Frady
October 18th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I moved to Tallahassee in 2009 to pursue a graduate degree. I had to sell my truck and needed a vehicle. I came across a 84 CJ7 that I just had to have and I met Mike to test drive it. Among other things we talked a little about shooting and he told me about TGF.

I bought the CJ7 with a clear expectation that it was "as is". About a week or two later I was getting a weird issue and I called him up just to get some advice. He immediately knew the problem and said he had been suspecting the motor mounts for a while. He absolutely insisted that he order the parts and that I bring it over so he could replace them. No matter how much I told him it wasn't necessary he refused to accept no and informed me the parts were already ordered.

I later had another issue (it's a jeep thing) and when I called him I had to make him promise not to try and order parts. He tried to anyway.

We ended up taking a lot of classes together over the years and became friends. Anytime I would call him and ask about a piece of gear or drill we ran he was always trying to give me his stuff. We often disagreed, but he was always humble and as friendly as anyone I've ever met on the range.

A few years ago a disorganized group of kids from FSU started a shooting club. I wrote it off pretty quickly as a shit show but Mike took them under his wing and spent WAY more time than anyone else would have and really helped that group get started. He donated money, made ammo and supervised many FSU students at Talon. The only payment he ever got was a bunch of grief associated with fixing mistakes made by teenagers. I don't think many of the RAFSU folks really knew how lucky they were to have him as a coach.

*edit* I should also add that RAFSU became a pretty fantastic organization under his guidance, and has suffered in his absence.

Tack Driver
October 18th, 2015, 08:45 PM
I'll tell you this, and it reminds me of something that was said of Teddy Roosevelt when he died. I'm going to guess he went in his sleep. If Death tried to take him while he was awake it was a tactical blunder that Mike would have made him pay for.

jonastio
October 18th, 2015, 08:55 PM
It was kind of hard to miss Rumbler on TGF. I mean, the guy has a personality. We worked in the same building a few years ago when he was driving that monstrosity of a truck. It was pretty easy to tell the guy had some nerd-cred too, as what he was working on was no small task, so we got along just fine.

A friend of mine that was on TGF and Rumbler got into a bit of a row on the forum. My buddy complained about what a moron Rumbler was and whatnot. I did the only thing I could think of and invited them both out to lunch a few days later. The sheepish way they both acted until the tension eased up was nothing short of hilarious.

I don't regret helping Rumbler out here. I tried my best to not fall short of the trust he placed in me. Will continue to do so. I wish I would have spent more time recently talking to him. I've had a lot of family bullcrap going on lately (illness and the like) and didn't take the time out to call up Rumbler recently. With the PM I got from him, I'm pretty sure he was trying to tell me about his health. I know I can only do so much, but it's still going to be stuck in the back of my head that I didn't call him these past couple of weeks. Sorry Mike. Your cantankerous ass will definitely be missed.

GTOguy06
October 19th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I'm not really sure when I met Mike. I guess it was in 2011 or 2012. I was still in undergrad at FSU and I heard of this student run organization that would get together and shoot every once and a while. I decided to show up and this old man was the faculty adviser. I did not think much of it at the time. I soon found myself with a range membership at WCSO range. I saw that same old man there on Saturday mornings. I recognized him, but I was not sure if he recognized me. As I got more involved with that student run organization, the Rifle Association at FSU (RAFSU), I started seeing him around more and made it a point to talk to him a couple times. He seemed like a nice enough guy. At this point in my shooting experience, I could handle a firearm safely and I could shoot at standing still at a still target. That was about it. During one of those times that I was talking to Mike, he suggested, even pushed me, to take a class with this po-dunk training team called Talon Training Group. So I took their home defense class at Pat Thomas. I had the best time of my life at that class, taught by J.D. and one other that I cannot remember at this time. That is when I realized that I wanted to take my shooting to the next level. I started getting into reloading with Wheelman (my girlfriend's father) and found out through Mike that they allowed a select few RAFSU members reload at Talon's garage facility at the time. So I started to show up to those reloading nights and Mike and I become quite good friends. We were both meticulous with our reloading and always wanted to know more about it. He kept pushing me to be better and I was determined. When Talon moved out to their new location, I was there to load up Rumbler's creepy/sweet van.

I was in that class that Frady was talking about. And let me tell you, I learned more in that class than I did in school that semester. He didn't just teach us how to shoot better, but how to think and fully understand what we really doing. What really shows you who Mike truly was, he did not charge a dime to anyone to teach us how to be the best we could be with our firearms. If I had paid for that training, it would have cost me thousands of dollars. He really went above and beyond what anyone would ask for.

The last few times I saw Mike, it was in Publix. I don't know how, but it seemed like I saw him almost one every other week for about 8 weeks. Sometimes, he looked pretty good, and other times, he did not. Every time I saw him, I would stand there and talk to this old man wearing a Talon T shirt, 5.11 pants, and a various gun brand hat.

I think the last thing I said to Mike was "Damnit Mike, you don't need to be doing that (referring to housework that needed to be done), I told you, just give me a call. If I'm too busy that minute, I will come by later, or I will get someone out there to do right then." He said he didn't want to bother me because I was really busy with school. I told him that I had bothered him enough over the years and it was his turn to bother me.

I know I rambled a little in there. But I don't really care. The point is, Mike was a great guy. He was my mentor. He was my friend.

Rsmith2077
October 19th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I met Rumbler back when a couple of guys and myself were first standing up RAFSU a few years ago, and I didn't realize the impact he would have on my life. He took me under his wing back when Talon was still in that old garage and taught me how to reload, shoot with confidence and deal with people. I was honored to be part of the first group of guys that he taught his advanced handgun course to at RAFSU with GTOguy06 and I worked with him through RAFSU's first years as an officer. I would see him get riled up over some stupid, some serious, shit some of the guys would do, we'd sit and joke/grumble about it and then he'd go back and still give them the shirt off his back. He honestly taught me more than just shooting, he taught me it's ok to stand up for your opinion even if it may piss someone off. He taught me to have that confidence and not to get cocky. He showed me what true selflessness was but donating all that time to helping us get started and even when he stopped working at FSU, still volunteered time to help us. It honestly was never a dull time around Mike.

One Mike memory that jumps out at me was when he once pulled me aside when we were shooting at the RAFSU advanced class and told me he believed in my shooting abilities but I needed to "calm the fuck down and focus on running the gun" because I was shooting like shit and wasn't focused on solidifying what he was teaching. That was Mike though, praise when needed, tough love most of the time to better yourself. With out a doubt, Mike was my greatest teacher in the shooting sports world and a good friend.

I regret not getting to see him as much after graduating from FSU but I am happy I was able to see him that one last time at woodchucks before I left town.

There are honestly so many Rumbler stories and memories I have of the man, but it would take a while to write all of them down.

It's still hard to believe that he really is gone, but at least he doesn't have to deal with illness or pain anymore.

talon2
October 19th, 2015, 09:48 PM
It has taken a day to gather my thoughts , and I have had to wait until the kids were in bed so I didn't have to explain the tears to them. Through my reflections today I have thought about the countless hours spent with Mike over the last 7 years. Mike often referred to me as his mentor, which always made me blush. I may have shared some of my experiences and knowledge with him, but I never felt like a mentor to him. I often felt like a kid brother around him. He was one of the most unique guys I ever encountered. Rough as a cob on the outside, soft as a marsh mellow on the inside, with a heart as big a Texas. I honestly think his brashness was a half-hearted attempt to cover up how much he actually cared about his fellow man. Mike was willing to give of himself even if he himself went without. This is a rare commodity in today's world. Mike was true sheepdog, there is no doubt. He loved the idea of being a servant and a protector of his flock, Us. Mike was physically much worse off than most people knew for much longer than anyone realized. There were many days when I had to absolutely force him to stop what he was doing and go home to rest. I felt bad at times because his spirit was always willing to go further. I enjoyed our hours of conversation, and I appreciated the time I got to share with him. There are only a few people that pass through our lives that really effect us, Mike was one of those people for me. I will miss him.

Tack Driver
October 20th, 2015, 12:33 AM
After hearing about Lamar Odom receiving world wide agony over his condition of being in a coma after a four day narcotics bender, I decided that beating the punching dummy until my forearms ached, my knuckles bled in my gloves, and I could no longer make a fist out of anger wasn't such a bad cause.

Fuck this loss. Fuck death. Fuck the idea that I will suffer in silence. Tomorrow is my day off, and I will howl at the moon tonight, produce real material value tomorrow, and practice mental preparedness throughout in honor of my friend, a valued mentor, and a good man.

NoZombies
October 20th, 2015, 02:51 AM
I never talked with Mike much on the forums, but in person we would always chat, hang out and talk about guns, life, and shitty food. Men of his caliber are few and far between.

I wasn't as close to Mike as a lot of you guys where, but I'll miss him a lot.

KyleAlejandro
October 20th, 2015, 05:26 AM
I remember meeting Mike in the fall of 2010. A friend in ROTC told me he wanted to start this organization for student shooters at FSU. A few weeks later RAFSU was born. We really didn't know shit about guns or shooting.

I remember Keith introducing me to this older guy who said he trained with the LCSO SWAT team guys and could help us with the club. Help was an understatement. Under his guidance the club grew into a real organization and he personally taught dozens of people how to fight, survive, and be safe with guns. Mike taught me a majority of what I know about guns and shooting now. He taught me so many different things that helped me in life and my career. Mike got me a job with Talon that eventually led to my law enforcement career. I owe him a lot to say the least.

Men like him aren't made anymore. I can only hope to keep the lessons he taught me and pass them down one day too. It was sad to see his health deteriorate in the past few months, but I knew he wouldn't go without a fight. His willingness to keep working and fighting are legendary, I don't know how he did it. I will certainly miss his company everyday, especially when I'm shooting a 1911, 10mm, or M1A.

I hope we all can carry on his legacy as a sheepdog.

Lonesurvivor23
October 20th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I am wearing my " Get ready to Rumble Two To The Snot Locker" wrist band to honor Mike! Small token of honor to a true man's man! Miss ya Mike!

Chumbag II
October 20th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I met Mike the first time I went to the public range many years ago. I see this Unabomber looking dude in that camo truck pull up and he sets up next to me. We started talking and found out that we had both moved up here from the Keys. We immediately hit it off and next thing I know he is letting my 6 year old daughter shoot his Ruger 22 and teaching her the basics. Next he lets my boy shoot his "poodle shooter". From there on in Mike and I became shooting partners for a long time. If you ever saw Mike at the range or at WCSO and saw a guy and his son with him that was me. The memories are to many to list. My fondest are him scaring the shit out of the guy hiding in the woods aiming his rifle at people, the time at Frank's T&F when that Tika lite 30-06 gave him a big fat scope ring kiss which I never let him live down. The first time he shot a Glock and the look on his face which was priceless. The look on his face the first time he bought a Glock. The amount of shit I gave him when he started driving that big red pedo mobile which I would refuse to sit in, then switching to that shitty blue Saturn. The day I sold him his first M1A. The love he had for that old Norinco 1911 and that little Swiss army knife with "Captain Fuzzy" carved in the side. Unfortunately the last couple of years with Mike at Talon full time, and me working two jobs to pay for my kids travel ball we hung out a lot less and I wasn't there for him as much as I would have liked to. When we did hook up it was like if we had just spent some time together the day before.
Fuck my man, as I type this it really is starting to hit me as to how important you were to me and my family. RIP my brother.

BlueBronco
October 20th, 2015, 10:09 AM
He called that truck The Glitch. It started out like this.

By 2005 it was looking like this.

(Click the pic for bigger view)

JMW4570
October 20th, 2015, 10:20 AM

0utlaw
October 20th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Jim that is really great and I'm sure Mike would agree with the sentiment.

BB tell me he painted those white rims.....

BlueBronco
October 20th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Jim that is really great and I'm sure Mike would agree with the sentiment.

BB tell me he painted those white rims.....

I don't think he ever did. I was a bit surprised when he got rid of the truck.

BlueBronco
October 20th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I sold him a 69 351w block that he may have overbuilt a bit. I think he was running close to 11:1 compression requiring race fuel, and it only got about 8mpg. He needed something a bit more economical.

He was probably lucky to get 11 before that with the 37" tires he was running. He had that old Saturn for fuel economy.

OscarMike1127
October 20th, 2015, 10:54 AM
i had the pleasure of meeting Mike only once. Hindsight can be cruel. After reading about the generosity and caring of this man, I should have endeavored to meet him again.

There is a lesson to be learned in all of this, gentlemen. Why do we always save our kind words for someone only after they are no longer with us?

AB
October 20th, 2015, 11:15 AM
I know we are in the holding pattern of "I'll let you know," but does anyone know about funeral arrangements? Viewings? Family? Who is handling all of the above? Do they need money and/or volunteers?

JMW4570
October 20th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Plans are underway for a public get together at a Talon this weekend on Sunday late afternoon - evening. An announcement should be up shortly. I understand the funeral maybe a smaller private family deal.

0utlaw
October 20th, 2015, 11:42 AM
i had the pleasure of meeting Mike only once. Hindsight can be cruel. After reading about the generosity and caring of this man, I should have endeavored to meet him again.

There is a lesson to be learned in all of this, gentlemen. Why do we always save our kind words for someone only after they are no longer with us?
Because he was a cantankerous SOB that'd would bitch slap every one of us if we were talking about him like this while he was still burning oxygen.

Leon
October 20th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Never met Rumbler in person but when I signed up for this forum I was having trouble gaining access. I reached out to him via PM and he granted me access with this caveat, if I turned out to be a bot he would shoot me in the face! We would've gotten along just fine.
RIP brother.

Tack Driver
October 20th, 2015, 12:53 PM
I am wearing my " Get ready to Rumble Two To The Snot Locker" wrist band to honor Mike! Small token of honor to a true man's man! Miss ya Mike!

Fuck. I forgot about that. Good idea.

he granted me access with this caveat, if I turned out to be a bot he would shoot me in the face!

LMAO!

30plusretlaw
October 21st, 2015, 03:01 PM
Never met Rumbler in person but when I signed up for this forum I was having trouble gaining access. I reached out to him via PM and he granted me access with this caveat, if I turned out to be a bot he would shoot me in the face! We would've gotten along just fine.
RIP brother.
Same here. He help me to get set up at the begining.Never met him in person, but talk a little over the old chat room. RIP Rumbler.

substratum
October 21st, 2015, 04:30 PM
I can’t say that I knew Mike very well, though we did meet several times. We traded numerous messages on the forums over the years, and I scored a scope from him in that “pay it forward” thing that was going on for a while. Out at Talon, my son and I borrowed his chronograph to measure how fast potato sabots come out of a spud gun based on the different propellants used (my son’s science project), which Mike seemed to get a real kick out of (AquaNet rules, BTW). No doubt Mike was a generous guy with his knowledge, his stuff, and in his acceptance of people – however they may show up. Though he didn’t suffer fools indefinitely, he absolutely gave folks a chance to straighten up before he’d administer an Internet dope slap as a character correction measure.

After his illness was announced I shared a few success stories with him related to the aspects of his illness that I was aware of, as a means of encouragement, and frankly I was encouraged by his cheerful response and that he seemed to truly appreciate that people were praying for him. I liked Mike, am saddened by his death, and will definitely miss his presence.

thedishdoc
October 21st, 2015, 04:39 PM
I will miss Mike and the big red range bag.

FLT
October 21st, 2015, 04:48 PM
Look at the date on the original post.6028

thedishdoc
October 21st, 2015, 05:14 PM
I fondly remember the time I made the mistake of challenging Mike to a pin top shoot off at 200 yards. I learned a lot that day. One lesson was that Mike was an excellent shot and another was that he was a real gentleman! I was actually looking forward to trying that again with him someday. It is quite a saddening loss to come to the realization that none of us will ever have the privilege of shooting with him again!

mapper
October 21st, 2015, 06:33 PM
Like substratum, I didn't know him well, I knew of him with all the tgf posts and bans and such before I met him, when I would see him at the public range, he was always focused on a goal, so I took notice of that, as that shows a level of commitment.

When I got started reloading, and reading his posts here, id send him a pm about some questions I had. He was always happy to share his knowledge with me, and the reasons "why", and I'm grateful for that. I'm still learning.

The biggest thing he stressed to me was being consistent.
So my thanks, and how I'll remember him is where I talked to him the most,
In the reload section.

30plusretlaw
October 21st, 2015, 06:38 PM
After reading all your entries, I wish, I had met him in person. Nothing like meeting people that are so good and real. I hope his family is dealing with this as best they can. RIP.

HarleyBrent
October 22nd, 2015, 07:35 AM
When Talon was still under construction and Mike would be out there working the temporary range for the Charter Members my daughter and I would go out and shoot. She was still shooting a single shot 22, but by the end of day 1 Rumbler had her shooting a .45, a Wilson Combat out of the Big Red Range Bag. Mike would keep giving her loaded mags and tell her to keep shooting. We would go out to Talon and she would ask me "is Rumbler going to be there?" Shortly after Talon was open to the Public daughter gave Rumbler/Talon her single shot youth mdl for other kids to enjoy and participate, and he assured her it would be used well and often. Everytime she would ask about it he would tell her about this kid or that one and that it was being enjoyed. Yep Mike was a tough hombre, but kids was another level of Rumbler that was reassuring and gentle and they took right to him. He really made an impact on many lives, I know I witnessed it first hand.

Tack Driver
October 22nd, 2015, 09:23 AM
........and that's really his legacy. He'll live on through the kids he taught, and they kids they'll teach. May we all make such an impact.

seadog
October 22nd, 2015, 09:43 AM
The first time I saw Mike was shortly after the WCSO range opened up to the public. I was on duty as an RSO that day ,and as my job dictates,was watching everyone closely. That evening I read a post on TGF from Rumbler that went something like, there's this RSO at WCSO that was watching me like a hawk. That's when I realized it was him. The next time I saw Mike I approached him and introduced myself and explained to him that I watch everyone closely the first time I see them for safely manipulating there firearms. We started talking and both of us realized we had a lot in common, I don't think he shot that day. When he started coaching the FSU shooting team I would always make it a point to spend time with them and occasionally bring the.50 out for them to shoot. They always had a good time. Mike,as most of you know, was an outstanding teacher but also knew when to be a student. I know we both learned a lot from each other over the years and I will miss him dearly. Just won't be the same world without him.

That's all for now,more to follow.

Tissue285
October 22nd, 2015, 09:23 PM
I met Mike the first time I went to the public range many years ago. I see this Unabomber looking dude in that camo truck pull up and he sets up next to me. We started talking and found out that we had both moved up here from the Keys. We immediately hit it off and next thing I know he is letting my 6 year old daughter shoot his Ruger 22 and teaching her the basics. Next he lets my boy shoot his "poodle shooter". From there on in Mike and I became shooting partners for a long time. If you ever saw Mike at the range or at WCSO and saw a guy and his son with him that was me. The memories are to many to list. My fondest are him scaring the shit out of the guy hiding in the woods aiming his rifle at people, the time at Frank's T&F when that Tika lite 30-06 gave him a big fat scope ring kiss which I never let him live down. The first time he shot a Glock and the look on his face which was priceless. The look on his face the first time he bought a Glock. The amount of shit I gave him when he started driving that big red pedo mobile which I would refuse to sit in, then switching to that shitty blue Saturn. The day I sold him his first M1A. The love he had for that old Norinco 1911 and that little Swiss army knife with "Captain Fuzzy" carved in the side. Unfortunately the last couple of years with Mike at Talon full time, and me working two jobs to pay for my kids travel ball we hung out a lot less and I wasn't there for him as much as I would have liked to. When we did hook up it was like if we had just spent some time together the day before.
Fuck my man, as I type this it really is starting to hit me as to how important you were to me and my family. RIP my brother.

I was going to mention this too. You picked me up and we went to the range together that day. Rumbler drove me home and he told me a story of how he saved gov. Jeb Bush from a locked elevator. Unsure how true that story was but he told it very well!

Chumbag II
October 22nd, 2015, 10:05 PM
Mike wasn't one for tall tales, if he said it I believe it. If I remember correctly we introduced you to the Hungarian ak's correct?

The Noose
October 23rd, 2015, 07:21 AM
Like most everyone I originally knew Rumbler from the forum, and met Mike the first time out on the Temporary range. The one time that sticks out in my mind was after the Range had opened full time, I took my teenage daughter and one of her friends out. This was their first time shooting anything larger than a pellet rifle and were a bit nervous. Mike's generous and kind nature despite his large, gruff appearance put the girls at ease almost instantly. He will be missed...

HarleyBrent
October 23rd, 2015, 08:02 AM
I ended up with that Norinco, It shall recieve an engraved "Rumbler" on it somewhere.

Chumbag II
October 23rd, 2015, 08:16 AM
I ended up with that Norinco, It shall recieve an engraved "Rumbler" on it somewhere.

Wow, the old goat gave that up? He had that thing over 30 years. To him it was more like a multi tool. I've seen him use it as a hammer, pry bar, etc... Glad he passed it on

30plusretlaw
October 23rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
Damm, so many good stories. Keep them coming.

jonastio
October 23rd, 2015, 10:47 AM
In the next couple of days, I will be compiling a list of these stories and sending them to his brother.

I, for one, wanna hear the one about the guy that was pointing his gun at folks at the public range.

Bodo
October 23rd, 2015, 10:49 AM
I, for one, wanna hear the one about the guy that was pointing his gun at folks at the public range.

Seconded, thirded or whatever it is now...

Chumbag II
October 23rd, 2015, 12:21 PM
Seconded, thirded or whatever it is now...

The old man, myself, and my son butface had just finished a range day at the Natl Forest. We were packing up our stuff, me in my truck, Mike in the big red pedo mobile. Over by the entrance where the gates are I saw movement in the tree line. There is a guy hiding behind a tree and I see a barrel of a rifle poking out and it is aimed towards the people on the long side of the range. I pointed it out to Mike and before I can say another word off goes the Unabomber in his favorite Magnum PI Hawaiian shirt into the tree line, and we flanked him perfectly. Mike yells at the guy and he turns around and has a AR15 pointed at him. Dude shit his pants and dropped the rifle, I was covering Mike with my FAL. We asked him what the hell are you doing and his answer is that 100 yards wasn't far enough for his scope so he wanted to be a bit further and thought if nobody saw him no harm no foul.

Chumbag II
October 23rd, 2015, 12:34 PM
Another one that I'm very fond of is the time my son and I snuck up on him. We were to meet at the WCSO on a Saturday morning. On Crawfordville Hwy where it still two lanes I see the big red pedo mobile up ahead. We weave in traffic and finally pull up next to him and there's Mike tearing into a Danish. He had his window open and my son screams at him at the top of his lungs "Hey Dick Head how's that Danish!" He almost went off the road and the look of pure shock was priceless. Probably one of the few times anyone caught him with his guard down. I'm sitting here laughing as I'm typing this, still cant believe he's gone.

BlueBronco
October 23rd, 2015, 02:57 PM
Here is a 2003 era Avatar he used.

seadog
October 23rd, 2015, 08:16 PM
Another one that I'm very fond of is the time my son and I snuck up on him. We were to meet at the WCSO on a Saturday morning. On Crawfordville Hwy where it still two lanes I see the big red pedo mobile up ahead. We weave in traffic and finally pull up next to him and there's Mike tearing into a Danish. He had his window open and my son screams at him at the top of his lungs "Hey Dick Head how's that Danish!" He almost went off the road and the look of pure shock was priceless. Probably one of the few times anyone caught him with his guard down. I'm sitting here laughing as I'm typing this, still cant believe he's gone.

Nice. Tell your son hello for me.
It's been a while.

Chumbag II
October 23rd, 2015, 09:58 PM
I sure will he's stationed at Pendelton right now but hopefully he will be going to K9 school in Texas in the next couple of months.

seadog
October 23rd, 2015, 10:14 PM
I wish him the best.

Jafar
October 23rd, 2015, 11:16 PM
I sure will he's stationed at Pendelton right now but hopefully he will be going to K9 school in Texas in the next couple of months.

Is he with PMO or field MP's out there?

Jmoorewar
October 23rd, 2015, 11:50 PM
Death sucks. Not looking forward to it.

seadog
November 7th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Death sucks. Not looking forward to it.

Death only sucks for the living.

I was just reminiscing about diving and found a thread from July 4,2014 where Mike and I exchanged dive stories

https://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/showthread.php?5281-old-dive-photos

madmitchell
November 8th, 2015, 08:25 AM
This is for Rumbler.

seadog
November 9th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks Jonastio for fixing that link for me. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Cattle/Horses
November 2nd, 2016, 08:02 PM
I'm bumping this Thread up.

For you guys that have joined in the last 18 months please read it from post #1.

"Rumbler" AKA Mike O'Leary started this forum after being kicked off of TGF, those members here with 2012 & 2013 join dates are also TGF refugees that followed Rumbler here to his new forum.. Mike was a hell of a guy who would and did give the needy the shirt off of his back. He could also be an opinionated, hard headed ass.

Rumbler was a loaner with no close family. Just him and his dogs.

Rumbler got sick, REALLY sick. His last year, this forum rallied around him like I've only seen few family's and churchs do. Raising money, chauffeuring, wild game, fresh eggs and fresh vegetables -per doctors orders, cut-split- delivered firewood, cash, appliances, mowing his yard, etc. etc. It really would be a LONG list.

These actions are why I say this forum is more like a family to many of us.

We lost Rumbler over a year ago now, I like to think he and John Moses shoot 1911s in the mornings and design firearms in the afternoon - two kindred spirits.

Johnny
November 4th, 2016, 02:32 PM
WE WILL NEVER FORGET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mapper
November 4th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Mapper, while I'm thinking about it. File this in the FWIW category . . .

I'm pretty close to certain that at least the Colt (factory) 9mm 1911s have a narrower feed ramp cut at just slightly a different angle. Just enough to make them unreliable without some work, if you convert one down the road to .45ACP.

Obviously this is not an issue using a 9mm frame as a .22LR host . . . . but if you didn't already know about the feed ramp cut being different, I wanted to give you a heads up.

Yeah, yeah I know, 9 mm and 1911 should not be in the same sentence, but hear me out on this one...

I picked up a rock island 1911 a1 in 9 mm, for a couple reasons. I needed a frame for the 22 Conversion.

Mapper, a RIA in .22 is pretty appropriate in my opinion. It is well suited for the cartridge. :cool:

I know your thoughts on 9mm in a 1911.. but there was a reason for this.

Besides a 9 mm in a double stack 1911 does not count as a 1911 anyway, so im good.
He is missed...

mattb
November 4th, 2016, 10:50 PM
I miss that cantankerous old bastard.

Dairt
November 6th, 2016, 09:17 AM
At the end, Mike was experiencing dimentia from a buildup of ammonia in his system - a side effect of cirrhosis of the liver. There was more damage than we knew and he was going downhill fast. His last stay in the hospital, all they did really was monitor him and give him meds orally to bring his ammonia levels back down. He knew this and eventually became very grumpy. You don't know grumpy 'till you've seen Rumbler with a wild hair....

He decided he was going to check himself out of the hospital. They told him no he couldn't, and he'd better calm down. He called us and we were on our way back home having left him in good spirits not even a half hour before. He had decided he was going to walk home from the hospital, some 30 minutes away. Trouble was he didn't have any clothes or shoes, just the hospital gown. Undaunted, Mike told them they had better check him out or he was going to get up and walk out.

He put the hospitalist on the phone who told us the only way they would let him leave was if we agreed to see him home. I could hear Mike in the background carrying on. We turned around and headed back to the hospital, and went to the floor nurse saying we were there to pick Mike up and take him home. She looked at us and said:" Oh you poor people!" With that they got a wheelchair, which Mike promptly hopped up out of bed and into, and off we went to take Mike back to his cabin, grumbling all the way.

He had managed to get an extra gown so he had one on front and backwards. Not much sooner than we had left the hospital, Mike said: "yer gonna have to stop the car because I've got to piss like a racehorse." There we were in Tallahassee traffic. I urged Mike to take it easy and assured him I'd find him something. There was no bringing him to a gas station or convenience store - I could only imagine what might happen....

I spotted an overgrown empty lot and pulled in behind tall bushes and Mike got out and stumbled in amongst the puckerbrush and took care of business. When he came back there was a big sigh of relief and we eventually got him back home to his dog Boop, but ended up staying 6 hours, making sure he was settled in and fed and that his meds were in order. He acted like nothing was wrong. All he knew was he was home, his dog was with him and he was out of that infernal place.

He reconnected with his brother, a miracle in many ways, and his brother quickly found a discrepancy in his meds and took care of that. Mike quickly recovered, and was back to his normal self for another few weeks. He knew more than any of us helping him that his time was near, and he never let on. He made it clear that he wanted to be at his home with his dog at all costs. Mike came over for a visit and spent the whole day just hanging out, on a Thursday before he passed that weekend. He had become enormously appreciative of everything in his life and for those who helped him. He was frail. It was difficult to see him that way. But his strength of character never wavered even for a moment.

He loved that dog, his friends and family, if you will, at Talon, and he loved this forum and his family of friends here. He managed to gracefully accept and appreciated all the help and care he received from everyone here. In every way, Mike O'Lary was a kindly, most generous soul, he lived to help people learn about shooting and all things related to his passion of firearms and training. You either loved him or hated him. Those in the latter category were few and far between, that's for sure.

Mike is missed, he is sorely missed. He was a friend for life. It's just that that meant his life....

AB
November 6th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Hell of a third post, there.

Leon
November 7th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Never did met the guy, but when I had trouble getting on here he opened the door for me. Although there was a caveat, thru private message he informed me upon me joining the forum if I turned out to be a bot he would put a .45 slug in me. I think we would've got along fine.

0utlaw
November 8th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Last edited by Dairt; 2 Days Ago at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Just so you know spelling is completely optional, most of us read as bad as we spell so it's kinda like a "system"

And Jonas never told me why IE quit spell checking anyway, so really my spelling is his fault.

jonastio
November 8th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Probably.

SATAN
November 8th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Just so you know spelling is completely optional, most of us read as bad as we spell so it's kinda like a "system"

And Jonas never told me why IE quit spell checking anyway, so really my spelling is his fault.

Shit, no one told me that. I just thought I had gotten a little less retarded.

Rsmith2077
November 12th, 2016, 05:15 PM
It's been a while since I've been on and just logged on and saw this. I miss Mike, he was a good friend to me and a mentor. I miss going shooting with him and I am still appreciative of everything he did for RAFSU. He taught me more than I know, and I'm still thankful I got to see him that last time at the woodchucks lunch before I left Tallahassee.

Cattle/Horses
November 3rd, 2017, 01:48 PM
I'm bumping this Thread up.

For you guys that have joined in the last 18 months please read it from post #1.

"Rumbler" AKA Mike O'Leary started this forum after being kicked off of TGF, those members here with 2012 & 2013 join dates are also TGF refugees that followed Rumbler here to his new forum.. Mike was a hell of a guy who would and did give the needy the shirt off of his back. He could also be an opinionated, hard headed ass.

Rumbler was a loaner with no close family. Just him and his dogs.

Rumbler got sick, REALLY sick. His last year, this forum rallied around him like I've only seen few family's and churchs do. Raising money, chauffeuring, wild game, fresh eggs and fresh vegetables -per doctors orders, cut-split- delivered firewood, cash, appliances, mowing his yard, etc. etc. It really would be a LONG list.

These actions are why I say this forum is more like a family to many of us.

We lost Rumbler over a year ago now, I like to think he and John Moses shoot 1911s in the mornings and design firearms in the afternoon - two kindred spirits.

It's that time of year. It's been 2 years since will lost Rumbler.

I MISS THE OLD BASTARD! Still.

Dairt
November 9th, 2017, 10:54 PM

Yeah, still can't imagine a world without Mike. Two years went by fast.

Dairt
November 9th, 2017, 10:59 PM
The House that Rumbler Helped to build.

Dairt
November 9th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Mike (on right) and two of his really good friends at Talon.

seadog
November 11th, 2017, 05:55 PM
https://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/showthread.php?5281-old-dive-photos

Good stories

tqctally
December 16th, 2017, 01:10 AM
I took for granted the welcome that some of you gave me in my introduction post by saying "welcome to the house that Rumbler built" or things along those lines. I did not know Mike, although I am fairly certain he and I did shoot at the Natl Forrest range simultaneously a few times. After reading all these memories of him, I wish I had known him.

Thank you all for these words about him. It puts this forum into perspective for me. Y'all are a bunch of nutty fuckers for the most part, but I like y'all, and I like y'all even more knowing that a cranky old bastard, as y'all lovingly have called Rumbler, could make y'all this close.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cattle/Horses
November 5th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Any of y'all think it's just a coincidence that a Hurricane named Michael ate our lunch on the 3rd anniversary of Rumblers AKA Michael O'Leary, death, 3 weeks ago?

Anybody new to the forum in the last year may want to go back and read this thread from the get go.

I still miss the old goat immensely.

I like to think he and John Moses shoot 1911s in the mornings and design firearms in the afternoon - two kindred spirits.

0utlaw
November 5th, 2018, 07:20 PM
Yeah me too

Cattle/Horses
November 5th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Inlaw, you can do better that that. ^^^^

All of a sudden this afternoon it dawned on me it had been 3 years and it had slipped up on me.

Johnny
November 5th, 2018, 07:53 PM
well said my friend,very well said,i miss him also

0utlaw
November 5th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Inlaw, you can do better that that. ^^^^

All of a sudden this afternoon it dawned on me it had been 3 years and it had slipped up on me.

You want I should shed a tear or what :dunno:

That cranky sumbitch would come back and stomp a mudhole in my ass...

seadog
November 5th, 2018, 09:03 PM
He definitely could be cranky , but , never to me.

I miss him as well.

mattb
November 5th, 2018, 09:32 PM
I miss that cantankerous old bastard

thedishdoc
November 6th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Yea I miss shooting with him also. He was a great shooter.

BlueBronco
November 8th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Yesterday, I had lunch at the last table I saw him.

jonastio
November 10th, 2018, 01:20 AM
I'm still pissed at that old fuck for the way he dropped on me that he was sick and that he waited so goddamn long to do something about it. That it took near the whole damn forum to get him off his ass and start fighting.

I'd be even more pissed at him if he wouldn't have taken the help that was offered. He at least tried to stick around. Taking that medicine that makes you feel like you're probably dying a little faster than you're supposed to be and still trying to keep to his assigned diet. He found a job and a community that he loved which gave him a reason to try to live. All y'all gave him that before he died.

0utlaw
October 26th, 2019, 06:02 PM
I was sitting in a tree stand today and thought about some of the old days around here. I realized another year has passed, I still miss the old bastard and in rereading the thread realize how many of us have passed on or moved on as well. I guess everything changes but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

And once again if you are new here... read this from the beginning and it'll give you an idea of why some of us old timers are so protective of this place and give you a glimpse of a helluva a guy that brought it all together.

Billythekid
October 28th, 2019, 09:55 AM
I've still got 2 of the wristbands from his fundraiser in my truck. Was looking at them just this weekend thinkin of him.

WinterSoldier
October 28th, 2019, 12:01 PM
If you are anti-religious and/or just plain don't like this, pizonia!