PDA

View Full Version : Rumbler

jonastio
October 18th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I hate the be the bearer of bad news and I particularly hate not calling y'all and tell you personally, but Rumbler was found this morning at home and had passed away.

I will update when we know on the what/when/where for whatever services will be held.

Frady
October 18th, 2015, 06:02 PM
:-(

As sad as this news is, he's in a better place. RIP buddy.

Fishtale
October 18th, 2015, 06:09 PM
We have all lost a good friend who would always do anything he could to help you. Didn't matter if you knew him for 3 days, 3 weeks or 3 years or more. Rest in peace.

chenzzo
October 18th, 2015, 06:10 PM
I miss him already.

simmoag
October 18th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Damn, this is sad news. He will be missed.

Danman
October 18th, 2015, 06:19 PM
RIP Mike, he will be truly missed.

polebarn
October 18th, 2015, 06:19 PM
That hurts to hear.We've lost one of the best.I am sorry and hope he is at peace.

substratum
October 18th, 2015, 06:21 PM
So sorry to hear this news.

0utlaw
October 18th, 2015, 06:50 PM
He was a true warrior, fought to the end with never a doubt in his mind he wouldn't win. We had a personal conversation Friday and he was encouraging me without any thought or mention of his own tribulations.

He was a good man and a good friend and is already missed.

Godspeed and good hunting old friend.

NJC
October 18th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Rest in peace brother.

Are lines are diminished.

Airgator0470
October 18th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Prayers to all. Many of you were very fortunate to be near him and know him better than I got to. A true loss to the community... God Bless you Mike.

SB
October 18th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Dammit

Gatorvet
October 18th, 2015, 07:18 PM
I hope he went as peacefully as possible. I'm proud to have known him.

AB
October 18th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Be in peace.

SGB
October 18th, 2015, 07:40 PM
http://s7.tinypic.com/1ggf1s_th.jpg

talon2
October 18th, 2015, 07:40 PM
It's never easy when a friend passes away, I will certainly miss Mike. I am however very thankful that he is no longer in pain, no longer suffering. He fought the good fight and I pray that he is at peace now.

Johnny
October 18th, 2015, 07:45 PM
I really do not know how to express the deep hurt that I feel right now, a lot of people never saw the the side of Mike that I saw when he coaching my two young grandsons in safety on the range an the twinkle in his eyes,when would joke with them in his gruff ways.Alas I have lost another good friend too early.God speed and rest in peace my friend.

Cattle/Horses
October 18th, 2015, 07:52 PM
RIP Mike, you are missed.

Several months back Mike was in the hospital for a few days. I stayed one night with him so Triad and Ms. Kathy could go home. We talked a LOT. He came as close to breaking down as I ever saw him. I don't think he would mind me telling y'all how humbled and thankful he was for how much help, support and encouragement the forum members had been to him. He truly was in awe, not only for what we had done but he had a hard time with grasping WHY we had done it.

Jonas, you were and will continue to be Mike's right hand here. Please carry on as you see fit, knowing that Mike will be watching over your shoulder. When you need $ for the operation of the forum, speak out and we will pass the hat and take a collection.

Billythekid
October 18th, 2015, 07:53 PM
He will be sorely missed by many. John Browning is holding a spot for you.

Bodo
October 18th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Wow, shocked and saddened. I think I'll get a 1911 and name it Rumbler.

Chumbag II
October 18th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Mike was one of the first persons I met when I moved up here. We became very good friends and I will miss you deeply. To me he was much more than a friend and mentor to my son. RIP buddy

Billythekid
October 18th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Wow, shocked and saddened. I think I'll get a 1911 and name it Rumbler.

It's gotta say "Two to the snot locker" on the other side.

HarleyBrent
October 18th, 2015, 08:14 PM
This is a sad day and a loss for our community. I am gratefull I new him. God Bless and Gods Speed!

Tack Driver
October 18th, 2015, 08:21 PM
RIP my friend. I've got no words. I'm just glad I got the time with him that I did.

marcus6176
October 18th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Rest in peace good sir. You were a great friend and mentor over the years.

mapper
October 18th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed.

Dale Gribble
October 18th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Dear Mike O'lary.

You leave a hole in the world that is bigger than you can imagine. Those of us who knew you can only hope to carry your virtues forward as a tribute to someone who was truly bigger than life.

To those left with the messy details. I avail myself to you as needed. Please call upon me to ease your burdens. I will gladly be Mike's Huckleberry.

GreyWolf
October 18th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I am so sorry to hear of Mike's passing. Though I never had the honor of meeting him in person, I had hoped to bump into him at Talon one day. I'll think of him when at Talon and be grateful for the part he played in getting it up and running.

God speed and rest in peace

Cattle/Horses
October 18th, 2015, 08:40 PM
He will be sorely missed by many. John Browning is holding a spot for you.

LOL. I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to that conversation!

talon2
October 18th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Knowing Mike, the first question he will ask JMB. "The Hi Power 9mm, what the hell were you thinking John?
LOL. I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to that conversation!

Tack Driver
October 18th, 2015, 08:53 PM
To those left with the messy details. I avail myself to you as needed. Please call upon me to ease your burdens. I will gladly be Mike's Huckleberry.

Hear, hear. I know I speak for the board as a whole when I say we are at your disposal.

FLT
October 18th, 2015, 08:59 PM
I'll miss him. He was a hell of a man and a friend.

e.money83
October 18th, 2015, 09:01 PM
damn...

FLT
October 18th, 2015, 09:03 PM
RIP Mike, you are missed.

Several months back Mike was in the hospital for a few days. I stayed one night with him so Triad and Ms. Kathy could go home. We talked a LOT. He came as close to breaking down as I ever saw him. I don't think he would mind me telling y'all how humbled and thankful he was for how much help, support and encouragement the forum members had been to him. He truly was in awe, not only for what we had done but he had a hard time with grasping WHY we had done it.

Jonas, you were and will continue to be Mike's right hand here. Please carry on as you see fit, knowing that Mike will be watching over your shoulder. When you need $ for the operation of the forum, speak out and we will pass the hat and take a collection. I'm sorry Wes I intended to hit the like button, but I have tears in my eyes couldn't see.

The Noose
October 18th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Got this news from Highlander earlier this evening. Truly a loss for all that knew him.

Tissue285
October 18th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Wow. :(

Jmoorewar
October 18th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Rest in peace buddy.

TLB2
October 18th, 2015, 09:16 PM
rest in peace Rumbler!

jonastio
October 18th, 2015, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry Wes I intended to hit the like button, but I have tears in my eyes couldn't see.

I'll have it fixed in a few.

Dale Gribble
October 18th, 2015, 09:27 PM
I really feel the need for a group hug coming up.

wheelman
October 18th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I have no words. RIP my friend.

Jafar
October 18th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Being a young guy usually comes with caveats that you don't realize until you become an old guy. By the time a young guy becomes an older guy, he has a lifetime of knowledge that he sometimes tries to share with young guys, but young guys usually let that knowledge pass away with it's keeper, starting the cycle all over again. Here's to a friend that often made young guys realize the need to shut their mouth and learn from an older guy. Mike made us better, often at times when we had no idea that we needed to be better.

Goodbye friend, I hope Saint Peter put's you on the gate with an M1A in your hand and the master key to God's reloading room. Every time I hear thunder, I'll smile and know you're just testing a new 10mm load for the angels.

Billythekid
October 18th, 2015, 10:52 PM
I remember that day . I've got some pics I will dig out later.

madmitchell
October 19th, 2015, 06:14 AM
Rest in peace Mike. Heaven got a new instructor.

CoachLongShot
October 19th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Thank you Jonastio. Rest in peace Mike. Rest in peace...

Dale Gribble
October 19th, 2015, 06:34 AM
I hope Saint Peter put's you on the gate with an M1A in your hand and the master key to God's reloading room.

You would think he would be able to get a real M14 in heaven..

:)

ironhead7544
October 19th, 2015, 06:51 AM
R.I.P

JMW4570
October 19th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Mike was a cross between a cholla cactus, a bulldog, and a good ol pair of leather boots. At first blush Mike could be considered kinda rough and intimidating and one of his burrs could get under your skin if you werent careful about it. Once you got to know Mike a little, you realized he was a guarded man, a man with many miles and experiences, but also one with a dogged determination about his craft and his opinions weren't for the weak. I was fortunate enough to have trained with Mike and also be trained by Mike over the years and he was always there to answer a question and was in constant mode of learning. Mike became an old pair of boots to me. Someone who provided comfort, protection, and someone you liked spending time with. Mike made the world safer for a lot of people. Thanks again. Vaya con Dios My Friend.

Jas8340
October 19th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Damn....RIP man.

Evil_McNasty
October 19th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Nobody has taught me more about reloading than Mike. It was probably naïve of me to think that he would have healed up so we could spend a couple more lazy afternoons out on the long range at Talon, testing new loads. RIP brother.

0utlaw
October 19th, 2015, 09:14 AM
He never doubted he'd be back out there and he'd have kicked your ass if he thought you doubted it.

jonastio
October 19th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Because someone just reminded me:

Due to the nature of a forum, you can spend a lot of time interacting with someone without actually meeting them face to face. Of course, being a local community like we are, there have been opportunities to meet and greet which has made this whole experiment a lot of fun for many of us. Even though we drove him nuts sometimes, Rumbler loved this place.

One thing I'd like for some of you guys to know, it didn't matter if you met him face to face or your only interaction was here on the forum. If he treated you like a friend here, you were a friend. You do not need to feel like an outsider looking in. You are welcome to grieve with the rest of us as friends of Mike.

Chumbag II
October 19th, 2015, 10:02 AM
After I got the call from JD, had to call my son at Pendleton and he did not take it well at all. My boy started shooting with Mike when he was 9. It was strange to see the dynamic of that relationship. As gruff as he came across, he had the patience of a saint and was actually a very gentle man when it came to kids.

GreyWolf
October 19th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Because someone just reminded me:

Due to the nature of a forum, you can spend a lot of time interacting with someone without actually meeting them face to face. Of course, being a local community like we are, there have been opportunities to meet and greet which has made this whole experiment a lot of fun for many of us. Even though we drove him nuts sometimes, Rumbler loved this place.

One thing I'd like for some of you guys to know, it didn't matter if you met him face to face or your only interaction was here on the forum. If he treated you like a friend here, you were a friend. You do not need to feel like an outsider looking in. You are welcome to grieve with the rest of us as friends of Mike.

Thank you for that sir.

Through my little bit of interaction with Rumbler at CCGF, it seemed like we were on the same page and shared some common views. In the few posts between us he came off as insightful, patient, and down-to-earth. Though we never met it did hurt to hear of his passing. All of the good ones leave too early.

mattb
October 19th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I was glad to know him. He will be missed. RIP.

Jafar
October 19th, 2015, 11:53 AM
You would think he would be able to get a real M14 in heaven..

:)

Even Picky Pete isn't exempt from the long arm of the Feds.

Dale Gribble
October 19th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Even Picky Pete isn't exempt from the long arm of the Feds.

Proof positive that the goverment can even screw up heaven.

seadog
October 19th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Farewell my good friend.

May you rest easy in fair winds and calm seas.

Lonesurvivor23
October 19th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I was stunned at the news this morning at Mike's passing. I can tell you that even though I didn't know Mike well I feel like I have been kicked in the chest by Secretariat. I am a charter member of Talon who used the temp range before they opened and that's where I met Mike. I looked forward to those Sunday afternoon's and Mike's advice. I was a total novice and Mike ALWAYS took time to help me. I always enjoyed his unapologetic love of country and guns! Mike had just messaged me Sunday reminding me he had bought me a new Carlos Hatchcock DVD because the one I loaned him had been misplaced/lost. I didn't care if it was gone, but Mike was going to make sure to replace it as that was who he was. God Bless You Mike! You will be sorely missed.......

YankeeFingergasm
October 19th, 2015, 03:18 PM
My heart is truly saddend. The first time I had a chance to spend time with him was at Bob's Precision class. I made it a point to sit next to him and speak with him as much as possible, I was his fatter but better looking shadow that weekend. Our friendship grew from there. My heart aches.

BlueBronco
October 19th, 2015, 03:28 PM
if you guys never knew why he was called Rumbler, now you know.

I essentially I came to know Mike due to our mutual love for old Ford trucks and 1911's. He had an earlier screen name back in the day that I won't mention out of respect. It goes back to before an old web site about 13 years ago called G.O.B.L.I.N.

jmh321
October 19th, 2015, 08:47 PM
I didn't have the honor of knowing Rumbler personally, but really enjoyed and learned a lot from his posts on the forum.

Terribly saddened to hear of his passing. Peace be with you, sir.

DeeselDave
October 24th, 2015, 08:59 PM
I am very saddened by the news of Mike's passing. I had the pleasure of swapping a few stories, shooting the same ranges and getting some well deserved tips from someone I considered a Master.
Like many, we traded good natured jabs over at the *other* site when it was up and running, had some range time at the Otter Creek range during the TGF machine gun shoots. Rumbler always made his point known and was always on target {pun intended}
A while back, when I heard there was a fund to help with medical costs, like many, I sent a check to the church, because that was what was needed.
When the good folks here put the auction together, I bid on many items, as that was what was needed.
All of that was a drop in a bucket but it gave hope that Mike would whip this thing and be back to 100%.
Rumbler made a difference when he was on this planet and will be missed by many.
Rest easy, Mike.

crawdaddy34
October 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM
shit.....

The word's just aren't there.

I'll miss you my friend.

:sadwave:

WinterSoldier
October 31st, 2015, 12:17 AM
Besides my mind, of all the things I've lost that I miss the most... are a certain few people, and Mike's going to be one of them.

bladegrinder
November 20th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Wow, so sorry to hear this. I conversed with Rumbler on the other forum a few years back mostly private messages. a lot of his forum post were gruff but entertaining to say the least. I live down south but have property near Tallahassee, Rumbler ordered a knife from me and picked it up on one of my trips up there. so there I was, in the woods at camp waiting for Rumbler to show up eager to see this truck he always mentioned.
when he got there he was driving this little piece of crap car! I asked him where the truck was and he said it would cost to much to drive it out to my place, gas was $4.00 gal. then. I busted him some on that. we talked for a while and I must say he left me with a different vision of who Rumbler was, he was a true gentleman. I'm sorry to hear he has passed. RIP Mike.

Tack Driver
November 20th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Wow, so sorry to hear this. I conversed with Rumbler on the other forum a few years back mostly private messages. a lot of his forum post were gruff but entertaining to say the least. I live down south but have property near Tallahassee, Rumbler ordered a knife from me and picked it up on one of my trips up there. so there I was, in the woods at camp waiting for Rumbler to show up eager to see this truck he always mentioned.
when he got there he was driving this little piece of crap car! I asked him where the truck was and he said it would cost to much to drive it out to my place, gas was $4.00 gal. then. I busted him some on that. we talked for a while and I must say he left me with a different vision of who Rumbler was, he was a true gentleman. I'm sorry to hear he has passed. RIP Mike.
He was soooooo proud of that knife, and rightly so.

jonastio
December 11th, 2015, 01:40 PM
So, has anyone heard anything about the services that are supposed to be held/have been held?

Johnny
December 11th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Nope

NJC
December 11th, 2015, 02:07 PM
No

Tack Driver
December 11th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Negative

substratum
December 11th, 2015, 03:16 PM
I saw in an early October thread where Mike made reference to having raised his kids. Does anyone know how many kids he had?

jonastio
December 11th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I *think* it was two.

I just got off the phone with Rumbler's brother. They've not had anything done yet but finally have a lot of the legalities of everything in place and plan on working out the rest soon.

jonastio
December 11th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Heads up: I was informed that Rumbler's girlfriend and legal representative has run into a little snag with clearing out a few things. There's the strong possibility that I'll need to get some folks together to help move a couple things. Once I know the if and when, you'll know.

Tack Driver
December 11th, 2015, 03:31 PM
In.

Dale Gribble
December 11th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I'll help where ever possible.

AB
December 11th, 2015, 03:53 PM
In

Bodo
December 11th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Small trailer and truck available.

0utlaw
December 11th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Truck, trailers, tractors, welders, small farm animals available.

Frady
December 11th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Just let us know

jonastio
December 20th, 2015, 10:21 PM
They plan on having the house and shed cleared out on Tuesday. I'm probably going to take half the day off from work on Tuesday and be out there from lunch onwards. If we can get a truck or two and a couple of folks to hoist a few heavy items, we should be able to clear things out pretty quickly.

Let me know what you can do via PM and we'll work out the logistics.

Thanks guys.

jonastio
December 21st, 2015, 03:54 PM
Still in need of a couple of moderately strong backs to help out tomorrow.

GTOguy06
December 21st, 2015, 04:14 PM
I did not see this the first time. I will help.

Frady
December 21st, 2015, 05:00 PM
I'm leaving town at noon unfortunately.

Tack Driver
December 21st, 2015, 05:39 PM
I'm available after 7. I don't know if that helps.