PDA

View Full Version : Silencers are golden. But priced like tin!!

Dale Gribble
October 12th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Well, lets not get carried away.

The Arms Affair, your local hometown fun guys to shoot with has partnered with "The Silencer Shop" to offer you selection, one stop shopping and great prices.

Go to: www.silencershop.com (http://www.silencershop.com) and in blue on the top right hand side of the page click on "find a local dealer". Select us. And now shop.

The price you see is the total out the door price, transfer included. Silencer shop will even do the form 4 paper work for you!

For example, HUNTERTOWN KESTREL 9 rated for 9mm, 308, 300 black out and 7.62x39 is $323

Let me clear up that you still have to pay for your ATF stamp $200.

Bodo
October 12th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Damnit, Gribble. Don't tempt me...

Dale Gribble
October 12th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Damnit, Gribble. Don't tempt me...

Order within 15 minutes and get a free jar of Gefilte fish or Matzo ball soup.

Bodo
October 12th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Keep the fish, not a fan.

Dale Gribble
October 12th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Keep the fish, not a fan.

Heathen.

Alright. One bottle of Manischewitz Concord Grape.

Mikec2003
October 12th, 2015, 02:56 PM
You monsters... just take all my money why don't you?

Dale Gribble
October 12th, 2015, 02:58 PM
You monsters... just take all my money why don't you?

Uh. Ok!

Johnny
October 12th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Damn Bodo,i figured Dribble was going togive you a jar of vasiline for free.

substratum
October 12th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Well, lets not get carried away.

The Arms Affair, your local hometown fun guys to shoot with has partnered with "The Silencer Shop" to offer you selection, one stop shopping and great prices.

Go to: www.silencershop.com (http://www.silencershop.com) and in blue on the top right hand side of the page click on "find a local dealer". Select us. And now shop.

The price you see is the total out the door price, transfer included. Silencer shop will even do the form 4 paper work for you!

For example, HUNTERTOWN KESTREL 9 rated for 9mm, 308, 300 black out and 7.62x39 is $323

Newbie questions. Does it damage a suppressor to fire regular ammo through it, and does it suppress it materially if that's what you do?

Dale Gribble
October 12th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Newbie questions. Does it damage a suppressor to fire regular ammo through it, and does it suppress it materially if that's what you do?

No it shouldn't as long as the suppressor is rated for it. Some multi caliber units have warning about using full tilt rounds of higher calibers in them.

It reduces the muzzle blast noise to a degree, but the supersonic 'crack' will still be quite loud.

12bhunting
October 12th, 2015, 05:00 PM
No it shouldn't as long as the suppressor is rated for it. Some multi caliber units have warning about using full tilt rounds of higher calibers in them.

It reduces the muzzle blast noise to a degree, but the supersonic 'crack' will still be quite loud.

so they are pressure rated?

Dale Gribble
October 12th, 2015, 05:27 PM
so they are pressure rated?
Ive not seen any rated that way. i've seen caliber limits, and barrel limits.

FLT
October 12th, 2015, 05:38 PM
It's not just peak pressure that's the problem . It's the volume, think about the amount of powder in a 308 compared to a 300 ultra mag . A 308 rated supressor cannot handle the volume of a 300 ultra mag with out the pressure exceeding the working limits it was designed for.

simmoag
October 12th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Do all suppressors have to be cleaned? I was told that I didn't have to do anything with the Yankee Hill and SF suppressors that I have. Was that bad advice?

NJC
October 12th, 2015, 08:36 PM
NO they do not.

Follow the manufacturers recommendations. Several say they do not need cleaning, a few older ones did.

Many used to come apart, few center fire ones do now. I think materials and baffle design have a lot to do with it.

0utlaw
October 12th, 2015, 08:40 PM
So after I drop the grand on the $35 worth of material how much am I looking at for the gubmints permission to touch it and how long before I get it and I am assuming I get to pay for the whole shooting match up front?

BlueBronco
October 12th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Do all suppressor a have to be cleaned? I was told that I didn't have to do anything with the Yankee Hill and SF suppressors that I have. Was that bad advice?

.22 LR ammo is generally dirty etc. and it is good for them to come apart. Also, if you are shooting cast bullets in a center fire pistol suppressor, it is good if they can be taken apart and cleaned.

FLT
October 12th, 2015, 09:08 PM
To clean or not to clean that is the question. This has the potential to surpass the 9mm/45acp debate.

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 06:20 AM
So after I drop the grand on the $35 worth of material how much am I looking at for the gubmints permission to touch it and how long before I get it and I am assuming I get to pay for the whole shooting match up front?

$200 for your stamp. And its all up front.

Many folks form a trust to own the stamp. Doesn't save you money upfront, however it makes it easy to transfer your stuffs to a loved one when you no longer need them.

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Do all suppressors have to be cleaned? I was told that I didn't have to do anything with the Yankee Hill and SF suppressors that I have. Was that bad advice?

If you shoot cast bullets, I'm not sure a non-take apart can is a good idea.

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I am in....gimme a kestrel. That is an out the door price....wow.
12b......read up on how to make those 308 rounds sub sonic.

Fellas.....who should I have thread the barrel, in town.

Ike what kind of rifle is it?

The only gun smith I've had do anything is Masters and I know you had a very bad experience with him.

5/8 x 24 is the standard 308 thread.

HarleyBrent
October 13th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Ike Did you buy that on the interwebs?

seadog
October 13th, 2015, 08:21 AM
I clean mine every time I shoot it and I shoot full load rounds through it on a regular basis.

I originally thought titanium was the shit until I found out that it doesn't hold up as good as steel.

seadog
October 13th, 2015, 08:29 AM
here's some advice you didn't ask for:

if you are getting a rifle suppressor, and they make it in titanium and steel, get the titanium even if it cost 1.5x the steel. My Thompson Thirty weighs 28oz, lots of weight on the wrong end of the gun.

most silencers will benefit(be quieter) if shot wet. dunk in water and shake out, put in some wire pulling lube or your tube of deerstand KY. I've read that most centerfire rifle silencers should only be shot dry though.

If you get a .22 silencer, get one you can take apart and clean yourself. To clean, soak it in wd40/hoppes for at least a day, then remove the baffles. If you baffles are aluminum, you can use baking soda to blast them, if they are steel/titanium, bead blasting.

Bead blasting is by far the worst way to clean steel baffles. It pits the metal, making it easier for residue to stick to and harder to clean.

FLT
October 13th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Nope . It's going to the FFL , you will give them more information .

FLT
October 13th, 2015, 09:01 AM
I clean mine every time I shoot it and I shoot full load rounds through it on a regular basis.

I originally thought titanium was the shit until I found out that it doesn't hold up as good as steel.

i clean mine on a regular basis . One of mine is more than 30 years old and seems to be as good as new.

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 09:07 AM
I don't know about other great deals for Trusts, but here is a place that does them for $59..

Of course you can do them yourselves as well. Lots of info on the web.

http://199trust.com/

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Clarification: The price on the web sight is not a full out the door price, as I read it. You still must order a stamp. So it will be an extra 200$.

I thought that was to good to be true, and it was.

Deciding what I am going to do now

Sorry. I updated the initial post to show that now.

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 09:16 AM
do you still need to buy the tax stamp after the 59$ trust fee?

Yes, each and every time you buy an NFA item. No way around that.

However you don't have to submit finger prints and get the CLEO sign off, and you can e-file.

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 09:37 AM
From the re-sellers standpoint it saves quite a bit of hassle. If we sell it direct and we don't have what you want in stock, we have to order it, wait for the ATF to approve the transfer to us from the maker or distributor, receive it and then start the paper work clock for you. And we have to charge you sales tax.

If it takes you 6 months to get your stamp approved, we have to hold your suppressor for 6 months in our safe. Ask most FFL's with a SOT and they will tell you they have suppressors that they have held for customers for a year or more.

Sorry I was unclear at the start of this. We all live and learn, I fucked up. It happens once or twice a year.

SB
October 13th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Hey Dale, what kind of pistol cans you got? The trip to Tally may be worth it for the right can.

12bhunting
October 13th, 2015, 09:41 AM
From the re-sellers standpoint it saves quite a bit of hassle. If we sell it direct and we don't have what you want in stock, we have to order it, wait for the ATF to approve the transfer to us from the maker or distributor, receive it and then start the paper work clock for you. And we have to charge you sales tax.

If it takes you 6 months to get your stamp approved, we have to hold your suppressor for 6 months in our safe. Ask most FFL's with a SOT and they will tell you they have suppressors that they have held for customers for a year or more.

Sorry I was unclear at the start of this. We all live and learn, I fucked up. It happens once or twice a year.

you should honor the original out the door price if he completed his order before you changed your post.

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Hey Dale, what kind of pistol cans you got? The trip to Tally may be worth it for the right can.

In stock, none as of right now. We have a few on order, but we are waiting on the ATF to approve transferring them to us. Danman is organizing that so he is the keeper of that particular dick right now.

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Fuck-- I am so sorry- that was a private PM that i fucked up....and it posted live. I am sorry Dale. I have more class than that your arms affair has always been great to me.

I dont know how that happened-- but again-- i wrote that as a PM at it went into the thread-- I am a milk head.

sorry

No problem man, I appreciate your honesty, really.

Dale Gribble
October 13th, 2015, 09:47 AM
you should honor the original out the door price if he completed his order before you changed your post.

Just to be clear, we are not asking for a dime more, however you have to have a stamp from the Federal Government to pickup NFA items unless you are somehow exempt (like a police department). The cost of that stamp, in a transaction between you and the ATF, is $200.

12bhunting
October 13th, 2015, 11:38 AM
I was told a suppressed 270 or 7 rem mag using loads around 2800 fps sounds like a 22 mag. Does anyone know if this is in fact true?

FLT
October 13th, 2015, 03:05 PM
I don't know for sure on those calibers but a 150 grain 2800 fps 308 Winchester shot through a KAC can sounds about like a normal 22LR .

NJC
October 13th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I have shot full house .308 loads from a rem 700 with a can and it sounded like a .22. I shot sub sonics from the same gun and it was like a mouse fart.

MP5SD wither sub sonic or hertenberger - very quiet

ARs with full velocity loads do not require ear pro.

mattb
October 13th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Glad you guys are in with silencer shop.