PDA

View Full Version : *CANCELLED* Bugout Bonanza Sat 10/24

OscarMike1127
October 2nd, 2015, 08:42 PM
OK, gang. The Bugout Bonanza is set for Saturday, October 24th.

WHO: All forum members or interested parties
WHAT: A nonformal exercise designed to test individual preparedness
WHEN: Sat, October 24th (3 weeks away)
WHERE: Torreya State Park, Bristol, Florida
WHY: See above
HOW: However you see fit. Anyone is encouraged to participate in the training but are invited to camp!

Approx. one week prior, I will begin to push out pertinent, disaster-related information (training only), which is designed to increase the feeling of realism and to ensure that you are prepared – and which gives you a reason to bug out.

Keep an eye on these postings: information such as road closures are included.

Tomorrow I will make reservations for 10 people at the campsite. After the reservation is made, it will be on you to pay for your pass and RSVP me so I can know how many people to expect.

Just a forewarning, the hike to the campsite is approximately 3 miles – one-way. Unless you want to walk back to your vehicle, ensure that your BOB is good to go before we step off from the parking lot area as a group.

For this trip you will need the basics: Fire, Water, Shelter and Food equipment. What you choose to bring is on you as well. If you wish to participate in the training and self-assessment, bring at least one method from each category.

Firearms, tactical equipment, or other items are at the individual discretion of each participant.

FIRE
(Wrapped or stored in a waterproof bag or ZipLock container)

- Magnesium bar
- Small knife
- Waterproof matches
- Lighter
- Petroleum jelly
- Dryer lint
- Magnifying Glass

WATER

- Lifestraw or other small filtration device
- Small cup or container
- CamelBak or canteens
- Iodine drops

SHELTER

- Camouflage tarp or tent
- 550 cord
- Sleeping bag or sleeping system
- ISO mat or field mat
- Mosquito netting

3 Days of food and water!!!!
Camp stove or cooking gear

For those of you interested on a class going over a proper BOB and rucksack packing, stay tuned. We will play this by ear and figure out a day and time, most likely the week of the event for about an hour.

I hope to see you out there!

As always,

-OM :usa:
Exsurgo Paratus

Cattle/Horses
October 2nd, 2015, 08:48 PM
I think he just called everybody bluff!

Tack Driver
October 2nd, 2015, 09:00 PM
We start Saturday?

OscarMike1127
October 2nd, 2015, 09:35 PM
Yes. The “training headlines” will indicate the time of the linkup at Torreya parking lot. The time will be set 2 or 3 days prior. Plan on mid morning around 9. The time determined is the “step-off time”, so that means were headed down the trail promptly at 9AM.

I will likely head out Friday sometime to set up a few things. All are welcome to join.

thedishdoc
October 2nd, 2015, 11:39 PM
I'm in.

OscarMike1127
October 3rd, 2015, 03:12 PM
Reservations are made for a group under the name “Oscar Michaels”, or you can reserve your own at the Rock Bluff Primitive Camp site.

OscarMike1127
October 13th, 2015, 12:32 PM
**CANCELLED**

Sorry, dishdoc.

jonastio
October 13th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Dagummit.

OscarMike1127
October 13th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Dagummit.

Were you interested bro?

jonastio
October 13th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I was starting to figure out what I could do for a class. Wasn't going to be able to stay the weekend (not with the absolute shitstorm of the last couple of weeks).

Greg Kulbick
October 13th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I like cake.

0utlaw
October 13th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Talk to Jonas

OscarMike1127
October 14th, 2015, 03:39 PM
If you guys are really truly interested then we can do the damn thing. I checked the reservations to see how many had made theirs:

None had.

simmoag
October 14th, 2015, 04:29 PM
If you guys are really truly interested then we can do the damn thing. I checked the reservations to see how many had made theirs:

None had.

You know everyone here drags their feet until the last minute. I include myself in that as well.

Tack Driver
October 14th, 2015, 05:23 PM
**CANCELLED**

Sorry, dishdoc.

:dunno:

WTF, over?

OscarMike1127
October 14th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Its been a week and a half.

Roll call.

Who’s in?

Jmoorewar
October 14th, 2015, 07:28 PM
I'd show up with a keg in a trash can full of ice strapped to a dolly, 6 gallons of water, a value pack of ramen , one bic lighter, 6 cans of grizzly long cut, one coffee can for said ramen, a pillow and blanket wearing three layers of clothes. Fuck all that other shit.

OscarMike1127
October 14th, 2015, 07:43 PM
And that pretty much sums it up. Alright then.

0utlaw
October 14th, 2015, 08:08 PM
This is why the people that have the drive and ability to put things like this together.........don't bother anymore.

Rumbler
October 14th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Exactly.

12bhunting
October 14th, 2015, 08:16 PM
This is why the people that have the drive and ability to put things like this together.........don't bother anymore.

Dude it's a 6 mile hike. 3 miles carrying a full cooler of cold beer and 2 days worth of slim jims. All this during the beginning of hunting season. I will pay for your pass though if you want to go:rolleyes:

0utlaw
October 14th, 2015, 08:23 PM
You just described walking down my driveway.....

Gatorvet
October 14th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I think it was/is a great idea, just a bad time of year for me...
maybe something like this held on private property could be a good idea also.

Tack Driver
October 14th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Roll call?

I'm in..............

if I can come late Saturday. You know, like that motherfucker you thought didn't make it out of no man's land but did in fact, hours after abandoning hope, through sagacious thought and pragmatism showed up to add some character and color to the crew.

Jmoorewar
October 14th, 2015, 10:32 PM
I have the drive and ability to do it, I just don't have the time. Wish I did, anyone wanna watch my kids while I go? Oh yea, need someone to go to work for me also, prolly need my yard mowed as well. I'm down if all that is covered.

Jmoorewar
October 14th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I have the property. Pond, woods, shooting range all in one spot. So if you would like to do it that way, instead of fees, hour long drive or longer for some people (oh yea and Publix is 5 min away for a beer "pillage" if needed) it can happen on one of my 3 day weekends. Just need a heads up to get the children taken care of and all my personal ducks in a row.

simmoag
October 15th, 2015, 06:48 AM
I can't commit ahead of time because of the kid. We have had a hell of a time with colic the last few weeks. We think soy formula has stopped the comic but constipation is the new problem. Pending the night my wife might not be able to sleep so Tuesday night and the weekend is when I try and do the heavy lifting to give her a mental break. Anyway if he is running good by then I can slip away for this if not then I can't. I have to make a game time decision. If he was older I would bring him.

jonastio
October 15th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Kind of in the same spot. I would and actually really want to because this is the perfect time of year to camp, but between active medical issues in the family and the craziness of 3 kids, one of which at 6 months old is refusing to allow us sleep, it is logistically impossible to do so and still stay married. Wife still has a 6mm kidney stone that could really drop any moment and we're still trying to get the urologist to get that shit handled in short order.

OscarMike1127
October 15th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Dude it's a 6 mile hike. 3 miles carrying a full cooler of cold beer and 2 days worth of slim jims.

Sounds a lot like hunting.

Cattle/Horses
October 15th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Dude it's a 6 mile hike. 3 miles carrying a full cooler of cold beer and 2 days worth of slim jims. All this during the beginning of hunting season. I will pay for your pass though if you want to go:rolleyes:

Don't you have a couple of goats?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/_OElSwPZDq8/hqdefault.jpg

Jafar
October 15th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I think people tasked with organizing training quickly discover that everyone wants to train, it's just that no one wants to train.

OscarMike1127
October 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Indeed.

I did a dry run solo at Torreya this last weekend so its no skin off my back.

(Even though it took me almost an hour to start a fire)

Jafar
October 15th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Indeed.

That's either good or bad - depends on if you had a cigarette lighter or bow drill.

OscarMike1127
October 15th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Torreya advertises “primitive camping”, but you’re not allowed to use the debris or foliage for fire, so no bow drill. I used a magnesium bar, but the wood was damp and the wind was hellacious. I ended up having to make my wood coals in between two trees with a tarp over by shoulders to block the wind. But it worked. I survived.

Dale Gribble
October 15th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I think people tasked with organizing training quickly discover that everyone wants to train, it's just that no one wants to train.

Based on the Pat Mac thing, and several others, I think we have a core group that has an appetite for training. Pat Mac worked (for me) because it was far enough in advance that I could plan for it. I just can't always do spur of the moment. And with 3 kids involved in activities all over creation, spur of the moment is less than 2 months planning time.

OM I liked your idea. I just knew I couldn't make that time frame. I hope it works out, or if it doesn't, we (I'll be glad to help) try and put this together for late winter.

NoZombies
October 15th, 2015, 12:10 PM
If I wasn't working 80 hour weeks and my wife wasn't 8 months pregnant, Id be in. I just can't right now.

I hope you guys do it and have a hell of a time.

thedishdoc
October 15th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Indeed.

Wish I would have known that. I would have enjoyed participating.

OscarMike1127
October 15th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Sorry dish. It was a sort of spontaneous thing. I decided to go, turned off my phone, and was gone within 15 mins. I had a stressful week and needed the silence. I also needed solitude to make grievous mistakes.