PDA

View Full Version : Scales

AB
September 22nd, 2015, 03:37 PM
Does anyone have or even have access to a properly accurate scale? I have a balance scale as well as an electronic scale, but they are both rather old and I'd like to first verify the actual weight of my (admittedly cheap) check weights and then use them to calibrate my scales if necessary.

When I say a "properly accurate scale," I'm speaking way outside the realm of reloading equipment. I'm talking about laboratory quality stuff. I know some psycho benchrest shooters spend over $1,000 on their scales, but while I'm obsessive enough to WANT accuracy that fine, I'm not crazy enough to actually buy a scale like that.

Over the last few days I've been researching properly precise equipment and the price tag is shocking.

If I can't get any traction here, I may see if I can find a lab at FSU to sneak in. First, though, I'd need to know which labs have that kind of measuring equipment, and since I have a fairly useless degree I was never exposed to actual tools you could use.

FLT
September 22nd, 2015, 03:56 PM
Paint scales are pretty accurate and most building supply and car paint shops have one.

Cattle/Horses
September 22nd, 2015, 03:56 PM
AB,

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Weights and Measures regulates the produce scales at Publix all the way up to 70 foot truck scales. They are behind the Conner Complex on the Truck Route on the east side. If you drop by and BS with the guys I bet they will check your weights.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Consumer-Services/Business-Services/Standards

AB
September 22nd, 2015, 04:11 PM
I'll give that a try!

Bodo
September 22nd, 2015, 04:32 PM
If you're in Wakulla, I have access to an analytical balance.

AB
September 22nd, 2015, 04:50 PM
For an analytical balance, I can be in Wakulla. I'll PM you my number and we can schedule something.

e.money83
September 22nd, 2015, 07:44 PM
AB,

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Weights and Measures regulates the produce scales at Publix all the way up to 70 foot truck scales. They are behind the Conner Complex on the Truck Route on the east side. If you drop by and BS with the guys I bet they will check your weights.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Consumer-Services/Business-Services/Standards

my wife is actually the senior metrologist...

e.money83
September 22nd, 2015, 07:51 PM
give me an idea of what kind of weights you are trying to check.

Cattle/Horses
September 22nd, 2015, 08:20 PM
He wants to weigh dime bags quarter ounces.

Don't pop a blood vessel AB, I'm just messing with you.

AB
September 22nd, 2015, 09:05 PM
I think my Flakka dealer is shorting me...

I'm looking at verifying my check weights for my reloading scales, so 1 to 50 grains. I have 1 1 grain, 1 5 grain, 1 10 grain, and 2 20 grain weights. These are crap I bought from somewhere in the early 90's and now that I know what proper check weights cost I can't imagine these things are accurate. If I can get their true weight (within limits of the equipment) I can calibrate my scales to a known weight.

I'm sort of OCD once I start wanting to measure stuff. I make a hell of a cabinet, but it takes me forever!

Cattle/Horses
September 22nd, 2015, 09:23 PM
AB, Old School way I checked mine was to weigh several 130gr Nosler Partitions and make sure the scale read 130 grains. If so I figured it was GTG,

0utlaw
September 22nd, 2015, 09:26 PM
Way too easy, it'll never work :flamer:

Cattle/Horses
September 22nd, 2015, 09:34 PM
^^^^^^

AB
September 22nd, 2015, 09:35 PM
AB, Old School way I checked mine was to weigh several 130gr Nosler Partitions and make sure the scale read 130 grains. If so I figured it was GTG,

Bullet weight, even from high-quality factory loads, will have some variance (a surprising amount, actually). That's why the Benchrest folks weigh out each bullet on their $1,000 scales and separate them out by weight so each batch will have the exact same weight bullet. I know, I know, my OCD is showing, but while 1 to 3 grains of weight on a 130 grain bullet isn't going to amount to much, even .1 to .3 grains of powder in a high-pressure handgun round will have an impact on the velocity. In my sport, I live and die by the chronograph so I can't have any bullets running too slow. On the flip side, I don't want to fight more recoil than necessary to qualify. I'm looking for low extreme spread.

FLT
September 22nd, 2015, 09:39 PM
I understand OCD .

0utlaw
September 22nd, 2015, 09:54 PM
^^^^^^

FLT
September 22nd, 2015, 10:34 PM
Repeatable is more important than being off 1/10 of a grain. Being able to duplicate your max load ever time is the most important thing. Lots of pistols prefer different loads so my max load is decided by the pistol it will be shot in. Thats my opinion at any rate.

AB
September 22nd, 2015, 10:37 PM
My OCD scoffs at your logic.

FLT
September 22nd, 2015, 10:41 PM
LoL .I understand , I have a pretty bad/ good case of it myself.