PDA

View Full Version : I've Given Up

AB
August 18th, 2015, 06:01 PM
I am back to simply ordering jacketed bullets for as long as I can afford to. Because of the munchkin, and also because some of the people I know who have been shooting only slightly longer than me have tested with high lead levels in their blood, I decided about a year ago to no longer shoot cast bullets. Didn't want the raw lead around the house for little hands to find.

So I began a journey through many types of plated, coated, and other types of magic bullets, and none of them offer the accuracy potential of straight-up jacketed bullets. I have tried Berry's, Rainiers, Xtreme, Precision, Bayou, and many I have forgotten. I changed my belling profile from the "blunderbuss" type most common in reloading equipment to a "cup" style that closely mimics the factory profile. I tried the Glock factory barrel and a traditionally rifled one. I tried heavy crimps to no crimps and everything was inferior.

Jacketed it is, until I run out of money or find a winning combination of bullet/crimp/barrel that is as accurate as I need them to be.

Airgator0470
August 19th, 2015, 12:42 AM
You're damn nifty with a pistol... if anyone can get a bad bullet to shoot good it would be you. I'm glad I don't shoot in matches, I'm a sore loser and don't want to lose the fun factor of shooting just to shoot.

What will be your go to bullet for now?

AB
August 19th, 2015, 06:47 AM
The Montana Gold 180 JHP. It's a non-expanding hollow-point, with the purpose being the lead is poured in the front of the bullet, making for an extremely uniform base and an excellent front. Much more expensive than I want to be shooting day-to-day, but with Nationals right around the corner I don't need to be worrying about my bullets for the time being.

Frady
August 19th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Montana gold and Zeros are so nice, but damn the price is hard to justify.

I don't think I shoot quite well enough to justify them over bayou, but the difference is real.

AB
August 19th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Even though Rainiers are cheaper, shipping is included with Montana Gold's prices. Once I pay to have the Rainiers shipped, it's within $40 per 2,500 for the Montana Gold. Once I realized I was only paying 1.6 cents per bullet less for a vastly inferior product, the decision was a no-brainer.

I'm such a target feedback junkie, I have to KNOW that the result downrange is 100% on me. I'm big on imprinting the right techniques into the subconscious mind, and my brain can't convince itself it's doing right if the hits aren't there to prove it.

Airgator0470
August 20th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Have you tried these guys plated bullets?

http://shop.rmrbullets.com/

AB
August 20th, 2015, 11:59 PM
I have not. I may explore their stuff after Nationals, though.

bumblebee
August 21st, 2015, 08:21 AM
I should probably get tested, I am going through about 200 - 300 lbs of lead per month, but i always wear gloves and rarely touch the shot.

e.money83
August 21st, 2015, 09:38 AM
thats a lot of lead, dude...

bumblebee
August 21st, 2015, 09:50 AM
3000 to 4000 shells a month...

e.money83
August 21st, 2015, 10:02 AM
daaaaammmnnn...