PDA

View Full Version : Win 231/HP38 Being Phased Out

Bodo
August 13th, 2015, 06:03 PM
"Winchester 231 certainly has been hard to get. The plant that makes Winchester powders does not want to make 231 as well as a few other powders. These older technology powders have different chemistry than the new powders and this older chemistry makes it much slower to make powder: basically, you can make about 2.5 times as many pounds of new chemistry powder in the time it takes to make 1 pound of old chemistry powder. During the process of making the old powders, the waste stream created is huge compared to the waste stream of the new chemistry powders. Chemical waste is very expensive to get rid of. So, the plant wants to phase out the old chemistry powders and replace them with new chemistry powders. While they are still making 231, the amount is being reduced and the amount of new powder such as Titegroup and Longshot is being increased.
Now, we are kind of stuck in the middle. The market is demanding 231 but the maker is not wanting to produce the powder. The result is, over time, 231 is going to go away. Shooters should begin using other powders as they can.

Mike Daly
Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
Hodgdon Smokeless Powder
IMR Powder Company
Winchester Smokeless Propellants
GOEX Blackpowder"

AB
August 13th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Do they offer a straight replacement? Titegroup and Longshot is what they're offering I guess?

Bodo
August 13th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Dunno. Just passing along the information as I find it.

JMW4570
August 13th, 2015, 08:08 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!

mapper
August 13th, 2015, 11:16 PM
I'll continue to use bullseye, the waste stream is included in the powder, and goes out the barrel.

there are posts of it on most of the forums,
But hodgdon only markets powder, they don't make it.

Here is a post from brian enos forums,
Look at the reply from dilon precision
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219779&hl=

FLT
August 14th, 2015, 07:31 AM
So china is about to get in the powder business ? It seems that when us companies stop making a product that is in demand the Chinese start.

0utlaw
August 14th, 2015, 08:23 AM
:chinscratch: Funny how that works ...........

ironhead7544
August 14th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Except for a few types, Clinton stopped the flow of arms and ammo from China. The ban probably includes powder. Without that ban, I think we would be seeing a lot of Chinese ammo, bullets, primers and powder right now.

Rumbler
August 15th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Now, we are kind of stuck in the middle.

I think that "stuck" is the wrong word. There are a number of powders available that offer the same or better performance and versatility.

I think the guy is pissed because now he has to workup his loads again.

. . oh, by the way, as far as performance profile Winchester Super Field is darned near a 1:1 replacement and that is without even checking my notes, I'm sure there are AA/Hodgdon powders too, but you still have to work up your loads again.

Just my opinion . .

JMW4570
August 15th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Screw it. I'm going back to Goex FFF for all my handgun reloads.

FLT
August 15th, 2015, 12:53 PM
If you had a stock pile of 10 pounds how many years would that last you at your current rate of use? :chinscratch:

JMW4570
August 15th, 2015, 01:59 PM
If you had a stock pile of 10 pounds how many years would that last you at your current rate of use? :chinscratch:

You offering?

FLT
August 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I've got some on back order, have had for quite awhile. Sooner or later it will show up.

mapper
August 28th, 2015, 08:13 PM
You just got to know where to look
I saw #2 of hp-38,#2 of bullseye, #2 of 700 or 800x,#2 of autocomp, #2 of be-86, #1 of reddot, and some trailboss, As well as some true blue.
It has been in the same place for a couple of weeks now.