PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I am seriously needing a 3 gun fix.

Dale Gribble
August 5th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Anyone know of any near Tallahassee in the not so distant future?

Ken
August 5th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Gainesville Target Range has one every month, 3rd Saturday (coming up soon). I've been meaning to go over and try one out but just haven't made it yet. That's probably the closest out-of-town match. I've talked to a couple of folks who've been over there and they've enjoyed it. There's one in Dothan on a regular basis also that may or may not meet your definition of "near Tallahassee". Too bad they quit having them at the range in Blakely, GA. Great facility. For my old body, right now it's just too damn hot. Waiting for cooler months to try G'ville or Dothan. Yeah, I know. I'm a pussy. I've come to terms with that over the years.

Rumbler
August 5th, 2015, 05:47 PM
John Rasmusen (Talon) is not doing regularly scheduled 3-gun matches anymore? :hrmmm:

Ken
August 5th, 2015, 07:47 PM
John Rasmusen (Talon) is not doing regularly scheduled 3-gun matches anymore? :hrmmm:

Not on a regular basis yet. It's difficult to sandwich them in between other matches there and at other ranges. A date will get proposed and others will remind him of another match going on at the same time or same weekend and other issues. Weather has been a problem as well, especially on the competition ranges, i.e., riverfront property. The 3-guns are a little more labor intensive to set up and administer as well. And, as I recall, John's still got a real job that isn't conducive to regularly scheduled anythings. :rolleyes:

easternrider
August 20th, 2015, 09:50 PM
There are several scheduled 3 gun matches in the area, but they require some effort to attend. This Sunday is Dan Mitchell's monthly (every 4th Sunday) 6 stage 3gun match. Totally outstanding range, props, setup, and stages. $25, 100 rounds each gun plus usually 4 or 5 slugs at less than 100 yards. Monthly match rifle targets are usually less than 300 yards, but the shooting positions are a little brutal. This is not the old Daleville match. Dan built a fantastic 9 bay, plus wooded area out to 300 yards, plus archery range, just outside of Dothan. It's 2.5 hours to get from Bradfordville to the Dothan Gun Range parking lot. That includes a 15 minute stop at Publix for whatever you need to maintain, or drain.

The shooter's meeting is at 9:00 and shooting starts immediately after. We try to get there about 8 to look over what Dan has set up for us before we shoot. Depart 5:30am. That takes a little planning. Truck is packed and locked the nite before, coffee pot timer set, breakfast in the truck on the way over.

And he actually has a 400 yard bay that you can pay a daily rate and figure out your sights on. The bay has an elevated, covered, concrete padded, shooting benched, firing line. The bay is 80 yards wide, 400 long, stub berms on both sides at 100, and on one side at 200 and 300, and target frames and steel targets at all the distances.

We shoot it every month, if you want to follow, holler.

razzman1
August 26th, 2015, 10:27 PM
I'm looking to hold one in October some time. All of the above that Ken mentioned is true--there simply aren't enough weekends in the month to not conflict with someone else's local match, which I try and avoid. It is also a tremendous amount of work--often I don't even get to shoot the match I set up, as I'm too busy running it. But in the summer time, it mostly boils down to temperature. The last 3-gun match we held in May (I think), about 20 to 25% of the shooters simply left before they finished, because the heat was too much to bear. And I don't blame them--it was miserable. October will bring either a 3-gun match or a 2-gun match (carbine / pistol). Stay tuned!

Gatorvet
August 26th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Don't forget about the Halloween night match!!!!!!!!!!

Dale Gribble
August 27th, 2015, 06:18 AM
October will bring either a 3-gun match or a 2-gun match (carbine / pistol). Stay tuned!

Awesome sauce.

easternrider
August 28th, 2015, 09:27 AM
East Alabama Gun Club has their 5th Saturday 3 Gun Nation club match tomorrow in Phenix City, Al

easternrider
September 18th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Gainesville 3gun Nation club match tomorrow, 3rd Saturday.

easternrider
October 11th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Shot the Atlanta tac rifle match today. About the most fun you can have with your pants on! 210 rounds of pure fun.

Gatorvet
October 11th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Must be nice to ride all over creation and shoot these matches, and not look like you just fell off a turnip truck!

easternrider
October 12th, 2015, 09:21 AM
I switched to HD rabbit ears on the TV in '08. That's 7 years with no cable bill. At $68 per month, that's almost $6,000 cash money take home pay that I have to spend on the matches.

simmoag
October 12th, 2015, 09:34 AM
I switched to HD rabbit ears on the TV in '08. That's 7 years with no cable bill. At $68 per month, that's almost $6,000 cash money take home pay that I have to spend on the matches.

It boils down to priorities. I hear people poor mouthing me on a daily basis about prices. 90% of them are driving $50k plus cars, have designer clothes or I see at Publix buying scratch offs in bulk. The most recent example is a guy with gold teeth driving the newest Dodge muscle car with tricked out rims and tires, bragging about paying $3k for a PitBull all the while bitching about my prices. He wanted me to fix his dogs skin condition (demodex mites, secondary bacterial skin infection and bilateral ear infection before the big PitBull dog show in Atlanta in 2 months. My receptionist leaned over the counter and made a comment to him "I can't believe you are complaining of prices driving that car". I actually almost LOLed when I heard it. The comment totally went over his head because he didn't react to it.

Point being that people will spend money on things they want to and bitch about everything else.

Dale Gribble
October 12th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Point being that people will spend money on things they want to and bitch about everything else.

True. Sometimes its hard for us humans to see Value through the Price.

easternrider
October 21st, 2015, 08:26 PM
Sunday is run and gun 3gunning at Dothan Gun Club. 4 stages in large bays with lotsa walls and ports and a stage car. Long range stage at the end of the jungle run. Targets out to 285 yards last month.

easternrider
October 21st, 2015, 10:05 PM
Hi all, It's time! This Sunday Oct. 25th… 3 Gun, at Dothan Gun Club. five stages, including the infamous natural terrain range with shots out to 340! Round count is 78 rifle, 53 pistol and 54 shotgun. Registration is from 8am until 8:45, shooters meeting at 9am, please be on time. Cost is $20 for members and $25 for non members and free to watch. Come on out and test your skills.
See you at the range.

easternrider
November 3rd, 2015, 02:28 PM
Anyone planning on shooting big guns at the Talon 3gun match coming up? I've asked John about using 3gun nation Heavy Sport rules. 1 hit anywhere on paper and big mags for the guns. Anyone have any concerns on shooting 1/2 the ammunution?

easternrider
November 28th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I was hoping there would have been a few heavy gunners at the Talon match. The only other heavy didn't want his guns to get wet, got back in his truck and left.
Long range was a little grusome - 8" bare plate at 300 and bare 10" at 350 and 400 - and in the showdows in midafternoon. My red dot was not pleasant at all. Anyone use a big scope?

Ken
November 29th, 2015, 10:39 PM
I was hoping there would have been a few heavy gunners at the Talon match. The only other heavy didn't want his guns to get wet, got back in his truck and left.
Long range was a little grusome - 8" bare plate at 300 and bare 10" at 350 and 400 - and in the showdows in midafternoon. My red dot was not pleasant at all. Anyone use a big scope?

While not a "big scope", I did it with my Trijicon VCOG @ x6. Since I hadn't shot it at more than 200 prior to the match, except for a lucky hit @ 350, that's all I got. Beyond 200 I only took two shots at each target. Any more and I was just wasting ammo and burning more time than would have been added for a miss. Couldn't tell where they were going and I already knew that my rifle/ammo combo was going to be inconsistent beyond 200. It was an interesting stage. We had one in our group that got some good long-range hits but I don't know what he was using. I assume the majority of folks had issues since the final scores didn't include that stage.

easternrider
November 29th, 2015, 11:48 PM
I assume the majority of folks had issues since the final scores didn't include that stage.
There were only 5 stages. The form John used to score the match was set up for 6 stages, so one stage/column was blank. 4 was the jungle and 5 was the long range. You won the long range stage overall. I know this is probably a little late.......CONGRATULATIONS!!

Ken
November 30th, 2015, 12:03 AM
There were only 5 stages. The form John used to score the match was set up for 6 stages, so one stage/column was blank. 4 was the jungle and 5 was the long range. You won the long range stage overall. I know this is probably a little late.......CONGRATULATIONS!!

I forgot about that. I'll have to go back and take another look at the scores. If I won that stage it proves my point: EVERYONE had issues. I guess my strategy of missing faster disproves the old adage: You CAN miss fast enough to win. Well, under the right circumstances. :D

EDIT TO ADD - Nope, someone else beat me on that one. Unless you're only looking at my Class. Yes, I was first in my class. A class of 1 whole shooter. Looking at overall scores, YOU were #1 overall for the match, so, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Dale Gribble
November 30th, 2015, 12:17 PM
This is why I will never win 3 Gun. I don't see hitting the targets as optional, I see it as practice for life or death stuff.

Not saying that those who play it as a game are wrong, I understand its a game to most folks. To me its another drill with stages setup that I can't control.

Ken
November 30th, 2015, 03:30 PM
This is why I will never win 3 Gun. I don't see hitting the targets as optional, I see it as practice for life or death stuff.

Not saying that those who play it as a game are wrong, I understand its a game to most folks. To me its another drill with stages setup that I can't control.

So the life or death stuff that you're practicing for are controllable outside the range? Sometimes you just gotta have fun. Nothing wrong with having fun while still doing something serious. That stage told me that, in a (highly unlikely) scenario where the bad guy I need to shoot with that particular rifle is 400 yards away, I'll take cover and wait till he gets closer. :rolleyes: You can still learn stuff from the misses.

Dale Gribble
November 30th, 2015, 04:08 PM
So the life or death stuff that you're practicing for are controllable outside the range?

I think you misread. I can't control either, IE its not a scenario I dreamed up.

Sometimes you just gotta have fun. Nothing wrong with having fun while still doing something serious. That stage told me that, in a (highly unlikely) scenario where the bad guy I need to shoot with that particular rifle is 400 yards away, I'll take cover and wait till he gets closer. :rolleyes: You can still learn stuff from the misses.

Point well taken, and trust me I enjoy fun.

I just view it as, a marine can get a hit with irons at 400 yards, no reason I should not train to be able to do the same.

Danman
November 30th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I just view it as, a marine can get a hit with irons at 400 yards, no reason I should not train to be able to do the same.

As someone that attempted this and truly tried, I kind of regret taking my time on these shots. It completely fubar'd my score for the entire match.

I think Ken summarized it well - if I was trying to shoot someone at 400 yards, I'll wait. :)

Dale Gribble
November 30th, 2015, 04:27 PM
As someone that attempted this and truly tried, I kind of regret taking my time on these shots. It completely fubar'd my score for the entire match. :)

However, if you had hit them, your manliness factor would have gone up by 50%.

I mean it would move you from girly girl to tomboy.

;)

easternrider
December 11th, 2015, 12:18 PM
If the target is a 16" black circle on white background and you got time to do that NRA breathing thingy.
If the target is full size human target in fair to good light.
If the target is 10" orange circle in bad light.
If you're running irons, red dot, good scope, great scope.
If you're running something that you refused to pay a bunch of money for.

It's a competition. It sorta tells you where you're at right now. Out of breath, can't see target, didn't know where to aim, couldn't get comfortable or get on target, gun jambed, mag jambed, mag was too long or too short - whatever! Now you know what to work on/fix.

Competitions are not defensive drills. However, I really don't see how they would hurt when you do choose to do defensive drills, or have to.