PDA

View Full Version : 4064 vs H335 vs Varget

Bodo
August 4th, 2015, 01:02 PM
This may be to general of a question. If that's the case, I apologize.

I want to reload .223 and .30-30 and maybe .243 down the road. There are published loads for each round that use 4064, H335 and Varget. Is there any reason not to just buy one of the 3 to start out with. Or just buy the cheapest of the 3 and work loads up with that?

Some sources say that 4064 doesn't play with with .223 and the Rumbler load I saw uses H335.

Enlighten a noob.

Jas8340
August 4th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I use H335 for my 223/556 loads. 4064 is a stick powder, so on top of it not metering well, good luck getting it through the neck :). Plus you're probably going to fill up the case with 4064. Stick with ball powders. I have some Varget but I was saving it for when I work up 308 loads.

Also, I've read that H335 is temp sensitive but I haven't done any testing across seasons yet.

JMW4570
August 4th, 2015, 01:14 PM
335 will be the fastest burn rate, followed by Varget them, 4064. If you look at the Hodgdon reloading site and match calibers up to powders, you can match up your bullet as well. I think the 335 maybe a little fast for the 243, based on Hodgdon's site, but I dont have any experience with 243. If you are just getting started in reloading, stay the heck away from Rumbler's loads - no offense Mike - but his tend to be pretty hot and you don't want to have a bad experience reloading.

Dale Gribble
August 4th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Most loads (caliber/bullet combinations) have a few (handful or less) of powders they work well with, and another handful of powders they work with but are usually not optimal or only work for some loads or have other less than desirable traits.

For rifles I generally try to use one of the powders that work well. For handguns I tend to use something that is less optimal but works across the range of what I shoot. For example, all of my handgun rounds (9, 38spl, 45acp) use unique.

My 223 loads use H335. My 300BO loads are lil gun (supersonic) and soon to be AA1680 (subs, and maybe super too). 7.62x54, 30-06, 30-30 and 8x56R all use IMR 4895.

Also the powder measure and the amount you are producing has an impact. None of my IMR 4895 loads are produced in great numbers, so the fact that its a little difficult to measure with my powder measure isn't an issue, I can hand weigh each charge.

H355, Lil Gun, and Unique all either meter well, or aren't that sensitive in the loads I use that its an issue.

Dale Gribble
August 4th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Most loads (caliber/bullet combinations) have a few (handful or less) of powders they work well with, and another handful of powders they work with but are usually not optimal or only work for some loads or have other less than desirable traits.

For rifles I generally try to use one of the powders that work well. For handguns I tend to use something that is less optimal but works across the range of what I shoot. For example, all of my handgun rounds (9, 38spl, 45acp) use unique.

My 223 loads use H335. My 300BO loads are lil gun (supersonic) and soon to be AA1680 (subs, and maybe super too). 7.62x54, 30-06, 30-30 and 8x56R all use IMR 4895.

Also the powder measure and the amount you are producing has an impact. None of my IMR 4895 loads are produced in great numbers, so the fact that its a little difficult to measure with my powder measure isn't an issue, I can hand weigh each charge.

H355, Lil Gun, and Unique all either meter well, or aren't that sensitive in the loads I use that its an issue.

BTW, looking for the ultimate in accuracy usually requires a specific powder and bullet in a specific gun and that is only found via trial and error on your gun.

Rumbler
August 4th, 2015, 01:57 PM
It has been my experience that H355 is pretty close to idea for 5.56 and .243. I believe it burns too fast for the 30-30.

4064 will be the cat's meow for the 30-30, but a bit too slow for the small caliber rifles.

I believe the one powder that will give you acceptable results in those three calibers is Varget.

Now, and important note; Often the "right" powder is based on bullet weight. for instance, I get outstanding results loading H355 in 5.56 for bullets no more than 62gr. Beyond 62gr, the H355 is so fast it causes pressure spikes. When I load projectiles of 72gr and above, my first choice is Varget.

So be aware, in one caliber, one powder may be completely inappropriate based on projectile weight . . . and sometimes even the overall length of the projectile itself.

And yeah, I do tend to load hot. I want all the "juice" the caliber can give me. . . with the exception of the 45-70, but that is a zebra of a different color. One that kicks like a pissed off mule if you load it hot. Fortunately, if you get curious and research loading for it you will find that it is one of the darned few cartridges that actually has better terminal results in the lower to mid velocity range.

mapper
August 4th, 2015, 01:58 PM
A lot will depend on the grain of the bullet you are loading.
I have good sucess with varget in 223 with 77 gr,
Does that mean its best for 50-55 gr,
Myself, id pick a faster powder for the lighter bullet,
335, blc2,4198, even though there are loads for varget in it.

For 243/6mm I have had good auras with 4064 in the 75-90 gr range.
I wouldn't mind trying it in 168-175 gr 308, or 77-80 gr 223 loads.

Burn rates are a general guide, and not a chiseled in stone thing,

While I like the sierra load book, they do not pressure test their loads.

So I guess as my final answer, a definitive maybe.
Start on the low/middle end and work up, your rifle will tell you what it likes or does not.

If you want to try a little diffrent powders,
I have the 3 you mentioned.

Edit:
Just found this, it is a good read about powder speed, case capacity and sectional density.
http://kwk.us/powders.html

Bodo
August 4th, 2015, 02:46 PM
.223/5.56 I would start out with the Hornady 75gr BTHP.
.30-30 160gr Hornady FTX for deer and 110gr RN for varmints/plinking.

.243 no idea yet. Haven't looked into it much.

Sooo much to learn. Looking forward to it. Thanks to all y'all for the food for thought.

mapper
August 4th, 2015, 06:01 PM
I can probabally come up with some lee dies in 243, no shellholder though, to help nudge you in the rabbit hole