PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reloading 10mm

allblack229
July 14th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Looking to pick someone's brain on reloading 10's. After seeing how expensive it is to shoot I have become interested in starting to reload. Just wondering how cost effective it is with the initial start up cost plus reloading cost vs. just buying in bulk over the net.

Dale Gribble
July 14th, 2015, 11:51 AM
The startup costs of reloading can be $200 or $2000 bucks. The biggest factor is the time you want to spend doing it, or the time you can spend doing it and the amount of ammo you shoot per month.

100 rounds a month? A single stage press, or a turret will do well.

10,000 rounds a month? Well that is a bit trickier.

e.money83
July 14th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I'm guessing rumbler is going to be the local 10mm loading guru. whenever reloading or 10mm are spoken of, rumbler will be there. here we have both. im surprised he isn't here yet...

Mikec2003
July 14th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I find it extremely cost effective. A simple single stage kit is all i used for a long time. Bayou bullets are cheap and good. I've had a lot of luck with longshot powder too. Only problem is 10mm seems to throw brass into low orbit, so you do need to buy brass occasionally

Rumbler
July 14th, 2015, 12:25 PM
I'm here. :banana:

10MM load data. I've got more of it than you can shake a stick at, from mild to ultra-wild. . . . the ultra-wild I invented myself and proofed myself, it is not conceptual. :cool:

Cost. That is virtually impossible for anyone but you to determine because the for real volume you foresee loading will determine everything from startup cost to component cost. I can tell you for certain that the more you load the cheaper per round produced costs. Oh, and there is an unforeseen that will affect your real volume calculation:

Reloading, load development, shooting the 10mm, is addictive. Very addictive. So in good conscience my best suggestion is that you make your best estimate on the volume of ammo you foresee producing . . . and then double it.

<tangent>
It is frequently put forth that reloading your own ammo saves money. Usually a $1.00 cartridge costs you about 50-60 cents to load yourself. But you won't save money, you will spend the same $1.00, and shoot twice as much.:goodjob:

Dale Gribble
July 14th, 2015, 12:31 PM
It is frequently put forth that reloading your own ammo saves money. Usually a $1.00 cartridge costs you about 50-60 cents to load yourself. But you won't save money, you will spend the same $1.00, and shoot twice as much.:goodjob:

Understatement.

allblack229
July 14th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I'm not one to go through thousands of rounds a month but I would expect to hit the range once or twice a month. I would also like to be able to run something hotter when using the gun as a backup in the woods or for clearing pigs off the property. I've never reloaded before but it sounds like I can get started for the price of what a couple hundred rounds would cost me at the store. Any interested in taking on a protoģe?

allblack229
July 14th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Come to think of it, I may have a press at the house my grandfather used to reload his 30-06, would it be the same press for rifle and handgun loads?

Dale Gribble
July 14th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Come to think of it, I may have a press at the house my grandfather used to reload his 30-06, would it be the same press for rifle and handgun loads?

A press that can do 30-06 should be able to do pistol loads.

Straight case handgun loading is a bit easier than rifle. Get started on a single stage and you can progress to a turret or progressive IF you want/need to.

Rumbler
July 14th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I'm not one to go through thousands of rounds a month but I would expect to hit the range once or twice a month. I would also like to be able to run something hotter when using the gun as a backup in the woods or for clearing pigs off the property. I've never reloaded before but it sounds like I can get started for the price of what a couple hundred rounds would cost me at the store. Any interested in taking on a protoģe?

Normally, I would be more than happy to help you get started. My "normal" is thousands of rounds a month in various pistol and rifle cartridges, and I have reloading facilities available to me that would blow your mind. I can help with concepts and data, but for the next few months I am "out of business" because of health problems. :banghead:

allblack229
July 14th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Guess a trip to bass pro is in my future. Going to put that giftcard money to good use.

allblack229
July 14th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Rumbler, thanks and I will take you up on the information when I get up and running, also sorry to hear about said "health" problems. Anything that takes you away from what you enjoy doing has got to be rough, hoping for a speedy recovery on Whatever it my be.

Dale Gribble
July 14th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I believe DSH has classes, it would be worth checking out.

allblack229
July 14th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks Dale, I'll give'em a call.

mapper
July 14th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Bass pro is severly limited in what reloading components and equipment they have. As far as box stores, academy has more but the selections are still very limited.
Dsh is where I would go locally first, followed by the store across from carpet one on capital circle.
There is a little at guns and gold press and powderwise, on cap cir.

I'll agree, decide on the volume you will need, as that will be a determining factor on the press.
Presses, dies, and equipment, everyone has their favorites.

Don't be suprised if you go from one caliber to many. Both pistol and rifle, and have your thoughts on a obscure/obsolete caliber not even enter in a decision to adopt another toy, because you know that it is only another set of dies.

But when you decide on a press, make sure that it has enough of an opening/clearance to load the longest rifle cartridge you intend to use.

I don't speak 10mm/40 s&w, it is not in my die vocabulary (yet) but you never know.