PDA

View Full Version : Great Video on the AR15 Gas System

Airgator0470
June 28th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Good video on how the gas system works... and a plug for piston systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6UNW6VaD-c&feature=youtu.be&t=1m49s

Rumbler
June 28th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Bob, are you aware of any standardization in parts happening in the industry in regards to parts of the gas piston system?

While I firmly believe that system is vastly superior to the DI, I have always stayed away from it because each manufacturer used their own unique part designs. That has made me think that when replacement or repair parts are needed, the owner of the gun is locked into a single source situation.

NJC
June 28th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Rumbler
While my name is not Bob I feel I need to reply.
I think once Uncle Sam accepts a piston system and deploys in the field en masse like the m4 barrel contour you will the see a standard emerge.
I think there are a couple of companies with great Pistons but others are shit.
Oddly enough the new hk416 A5?? Is supposed to have a really nice piston system in both the government and civilian models.

WWBS.
What
Would
Bob
Say

Airgator0470
June 28th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Bob, are you aware of any standardization in parts happening in the industry in regards to parts of the gas piston system?

While I firmly believe that system is vastly superior to the DI, I have always stayed away from it because each manufacturer used their own unique part designs. That has made me think that when replacement or repair parts are needed, the owner of the gun is locked into a single source situation.

I'm glad NJC answered because I don't squat about piston systems.

I did however get to meet Kurt Walla (now deceased) who owned and ran Kurtz Kustom Firearms. Kurt was a developer of an AR15 piston system and I believe (if I understood him correctly) he claimed the Leitner-Wise system was stolen from his design. He showed me an article in some magazine, SWAT WEAPONS or something where some T&E was done. Kurt died in a MC accident... too bad, I had just started hanging around his shop and learning (he lived down here).

I'm just not sold on the piston guns enough to pay the price for one, I certainly would not call it "vastly superior" ... I've not had any issues with my AR15's... including the ones I loan out for classes.

Maybe some day I'll take the step... but I doubt it.

NJC
June 28th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Airgator
Don't confuse my reply with having any real knowledge on anything.
;-)

0utlaw
June 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Airgator
;-)
True of 99% of the posts on here

Airgator0470
June 28th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Airgator
;-)

I didn't... it's just that thin blue line thing...

NJC
June 28th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Mines blue. Isn't yours green ??

Rumbler
June 28th, 2015, 11:05 PM
I think that Bob's is Melplat. ;)