PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Media - Grainger vs Dillon

CoachLongShot
May 19th, 2015, 11:26 AM
All,

Time to start polishing up some more brass and running out a bunch of new reloads. Thought I'd try some of the local stores this time for media. Grainger has corn media, 15lbs bag, for about $54 dollars. A 10lb bag from Dillon Precision is $26 dollars by the time they deliver it to my house.

Is the extra buck or so a pound worth it from Grainger? Has anybody used media from Grainger and Dillon and have any thoughts or preferences? Am I just being cheap and need to get off my damn wallet and quit whining?

Coach.

Rumbler
May 19th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Wait.

I buy 40 pound bags of Grainger corncob "blasting media" for $40.00

Lemme find the part number Coach . . . .

Item # 2MVR4
Mfr. Model # 526020G-40
UNSPSC # 72101801
Catalog Page # 3391
Shipping Weight 42.97 lbs.

$38.25

To this I add Nu Finish car polish.

A bag will last me about six months even using it "commercially" (A LOT).

CoachLongShot
May 19th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Much better! Thank you. I thought you said you purchased from Grainger in the past but I couldn't find the thread. Thanks for the part number, I'll change my order now.

Coach.

CoachLongShot
May 27th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Rumbler,

Picked up the media yesterday and ran about 1,000 pieces of 9mm in the tumbler last night. Still finishing off the polish from Dillon so I don't know how the Nu Finish worked, but this combo I used last night worked great! Thank you for that little gem. Now the only problem is where in the hell do I stash that 40lb bag of media!

On a side note, how often do you change the media in your tumbler? I usually run around 1,000 to 1,300 pieces each time I polish up my brass. I basically use the same media till is seems to get "weak" and doesn't polish well any more. That about right or is there some 'generally accepted practice' for brass media?

Coach.

Rumbler
May 27th, 2015, 10:17 AM
I think you nailed it. I use it until it is clearly dirty (discolored) and starting to degrade either physically or as you put it;gets weak.