PDA

View Full Version : 3-Gun match at Talon Range, Sunday May 17th

razzman1
May 2nd, 2015, 08:45 PM
I know it's been a while, but 3-gun is back! We are going to make this match a little more carbine-friendly--there won't be any rifle shots over 65 yards or so. They won't be easy, but they won't be long shots. This would be a great opportunity to run your zombie / pistol caliber carbine / home defense kit. I'll post more information as the date gets closer.

E-mail me with any questions

razzman1@hotmail.com

John

razzman1
May 11th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Here's the updated match info for the 3-gun match:

Hello everyone.

First off, let's do the steel match announcement. Instead of the usual scholastic pistol program match, we will be doing six of the real steel challenge stages. For those who have never shot the steel challenge stages, don't fret--the format is exactly the same. The SPP stages are simply modified steel challenge stages, so they will all look familiar. All of the rules, procedures and round counts are the same. It will be something just a little bit different, so come out and enjoy the day on the range!

We'll start set-up at 7:30, registration at 8:00 and safety brief at 9:00, with the start of the match immediately following.

E-mail me if you have any questions.

3-Gun!

Following the steel match on Saturday, I (and whomever wants to help) will be setting up a six stage 3-gun match. Here are the details:

3-Gun!

First off, I am looking for three people who are interested in coming up with a stage for our 3-gun match. Same deal as USPSA--if you create it, set it up and stick around to help tear it down, your match entry fee will be waived. I have 3 big bays available, and all of the standard props that you are already familiar with. Let me know if you are interested.

What: Talon range will be hosting a 3-gun match on Sunday, May 17th. The match will consist of 6 stages, and will include rifle shouts out to no more than 100 yards. The following information is a cut and paste from the first match, which covers some of the basic rules of 3-gun. Keep in mind we will be using USPSA Multi-Gun rules. Set up will start at 7:00, (we will be doing most of the set up Saturday afternoon, however, and any help would be greatly appreciated!), registration will open at 8:00 and the shooters briefing will start at 9:30, with the start of the match to follow immediately. Please arrive on time, as once the shooters meeting starts, I can't accept any more competitors. Match entry fee will be $25.

Round Count: I don't have all of the stages finalized yet, but minimum round count will be less than 80 rounds for each gun (pistol, rifle and birdshot), plus no more than 5 slugs. Scoring for 3-gun is a little different than USPSA. Each paper target needs only 1 A hit to neutralize, or two hits anywhere on target to neutralize. Also note that some of the targets (steel plates, specifically) can often be engaged with either shotgun or handgun (check the written stage briefing) so you may end up shooting more handgun, and less shotgun than the above round count indicates.

Keep your birdshot 7 1/2 or smaller (numerically larger). NO STEEL SHOT--LEAD SHOT ONLY! Be prepared to shoot a few slugs.

Rules

Just in case you are not able to make it one of my '3-gun rules and procedures' clinics, I wanted to briefly cover some of the things you probably want to know before your first match.

Safety: Safety rules are just like USPSA, so all of the same things apply--180, ADs etc.

ABSOLUTELY NO AP, ARMOR PIERCING, PENETRATOR, M855, GREEN TIP, BLACK TIP OR STEEL CORE RIFLE AMMO!! If your bullet attracts a magnet, leave it at home. Shooting any of the above mentioned ammo during the match is a match disqualification. **EXCEPTION** I know that the Russian / steel core / bi-metal ammo is cheaper than quality brass cased ammo, and for those shooting 7.62x39, the situation is even worse. So I will make this concession to you all: There will only be one or two stages where you will be shooting rifles at steel targets. On stages where you are only shooting paper targets with the rifle, you can use whatever ammo you want. But the few stages where you will be shooting steel targets with the rifle, AP / bi-metal / Tula / Silver Bear / green-tip, etc, is expressly forbidden. This should bring rifle ammo costs down a bit. I have had a few people ask me why this rule is implemented, so I'll share the reasoning behind it. AP / penetrator, or any rifle ammo with a steel core ammo is A) Hard on our steel targets, and B) A potential safety hazard, due to frag and ricochet. I realize that often times steel core ammo is cheaper than lead core ammo, but I don't want anyone to get injured due to steel core ammo being used.

Ditching of weapons: There are two conditions you can ditch your weapons in.
1) Completely empty--nothing in the magazine, nothing in the chamber, nothing in the magazine tube--empty. In this condition, the position of the safety does not matter.
2) Safety engaged. With the safety engaged, you are allowed to ditch weapons with or without ammo in the gun.
Striker fired, or safe action pistols such as GLOCKs, M&Ps, and XDs are considered 'safe' simply by ditching them--nothing further is needed. If you have a pistol with a de-cocker, simply de-cocking the pistol renders it safe for ditching. Single action guns such as a 1911 must be ditched either completely empty, or thumb safety engaged.

Score-keepers and target pasters will not be allowed to proceed downrange past a ditched firearm, until the shooter and / or RO comes back and safely clears the weapon.

Open Bolt Indicators: OBIs are REQUIRED to transport a long gun around the range. A spent shotgun shell, stick etc. are not acceptable. OBIs are cheap, and I'll have some at the match that I will sell for my cost (free), if you don't have one already. Once you have an OBI inserted into your completely unloaded long gun, you can transport it around the range un-cased.

Pre-loading of shotguns: On any stage where the shotgun is utilized, competitors will be asked to pre-load their shotguns. There will be a table set up next to a berm for this process. When pre-loading a shotgun, the competitor is allowed to fill the magazine tube to their division capacity, and ground it on the table (magazine tube ONLY, NOT loading a round into the chamber on onto the carrier / lifter) with the safety on and OBI inserted. Once your shotgun is pre-loaded, you are prohibited from handling it again until it is your turn to shoot.

Written Stage Briefing: Pay close attention to the WSB. It's very common for 3-gun matches to have unusual gun-ready conditions, or gun-specific targets, that will change from stage to stage. Empty gun starts, or empty chamber starts are just as common as loaded gun / chamber starts. Also, different stages may require certain targets to be engaged with different guns--and it may be different on the next stage. Pay close attention to the WSB.

Divisions: I won't go into a great deal of depth covering all of the equipment rules for the different divisions, as they are available at:http://uspsa.org/RifleShotgunMultigu...-2013final.pdf (http://uspsa.org/RifleShotgunMultigun%20Rules%201-1-2013final.pdf)

But I will cover some basic stuff.
-Shotgun capacity: Except for Open (which has no limit) all divisions are limited to 9 rounds in the gun AT THE START SIGNAL. Which means 8 in the tube, and one in the chamber for 9 total, unless otherwise specified. If you so desire, you can add more rounds to your gun after the start signal.
-Optics: Having an optical sight of any kind on your shotgun or handgun automatically puts you in Open Division. Having more than 1 optic on your rifle also puts you in Open Division. For Limited Division, you are allowed 1 non-magnified optic (red dot sight) and / or iron sights on your rifle. For Tactical Division, you are allowed to have 1 magnified optic on your rifle, as well as iron sights.
-Magazine length restrictions: Open handgun-170mm. All other divisions, 140mm. No magazine restrictions for rifles (except for my Law Enforcement Division).
-Slings are only allowed in Open Division.

Scoring: We will be using 'time-plus' scoring, which means your time is your score--any penalties or misses are counted as time added to your score. So if you complete a course of fire and have no penalties or misses, that's your score for that stage.
Target scoring: Targets are not scored like a USPSA match. A paper target requires 1 A hit (the A zone, or anywhere in the head) OR 2 hits anywhere on the target to neutralize. So 1 A, or 2 D hits are the same thing. Steel must fall to score.

See the rules linked above for a complete rules breakdown.

If you have any questions, or are on the fence about shooting the match, contact me for more information (and I'll do my best to push you over the edge).

See you on the range!

John Rasmussen

Director Of Competitive Marksmanship, Talon Range

Danman
May 17th, 2015, 07:54 PM
As usual, John put on a great 3 Gun today. It was blazin hot, but a lot of fun.