PDA

View Full Version : Forum Outage April 30th

jonastio
April 1st, 2015, 02:56 PM
Hey folks. I just got notified by our hosting service that some stuff fell through with their NYC hosting facility and they will be shutting it down as of May 1st. We have been given the option to move the system to their Miami data center and I'm totally taking that option because (Caution, nerd speak):
A) It's closer. Latency on connections to the forum will likely reduce by 20ms-30ms.
B) Their Miami datacenter supports IPV6 which has been something I've wanted to mess with for a good long time now.

I'd expect that the forum would be down for the entire day on the 21st as they'll be migrating ALL of their virtual servers that day.

I'll make sure you folks know what's going on when I know what's going on.

Also: No. This is not an April Fools joke.

Danman
April 1st, 2015, 03:11 PM
I bet that DC is in NAP in downtown Miami. Place is nuts, have a few customers there.

jonastio
April 3rd, 2015, 03:02 AM
Sorry, the date for the migration is April 30th.

bumblebee
April 3rd, 2015, 07:50 AM
Can you translate that nerd-speak to redneck english?

NJC
April 3rd, 2015, 08:01 AM
this shit here is fixin ta be fucked up a spell round about end of the month

substratum
April 3rd, 2015, 08:24 AM
Can you translate that nerd-speak to redneck english?

LOL! I know what latency is, having dealt with it in our own IT challenges, but had no idea what IPv6 was. Here it is in a wiki, with some nerdspeak inner-dispersed. It makes sense when you read it (the shortage of ISP addresses based upon the creators of ISv4 not grasping the growth of the Internet when they developed the system, etc.), but Jonas is going to have to enlighten us on what about ISv6 enables him to mess around with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

crawdaddy34
April 3rd, 2015, 08:32 AM
this shit here is fixin ta be fucked up a spell round about end of the month

Well done. Rep'd.

Can you do it in British?

Tack Driver
April 3rd, 2015, 08:49 AM
Well done. Rep'd.

Oh shit.

:popcorn:

FLT
April 3rd, 2015, 09:03 AM
Well done. Rep'd.

I'm not sure about British but you can bet your ass he can do it in Irish .

crawdaddy34
April 3rd, 2015, 09:40 AM
Oh shit.

Problem?

[emoji14]opcorn:

WTF is that???

Tack Driver
April 3rd, 2015, 10:04 AM
Problem?

That's akin to me telling you to "do it in Yankee".

WTF is that???

A Tap-a-talk to full forum emo fuckup.

crawdaddy34
April 3rd, 2015, 10:17 AM

A Tap-a-talk to full forum emo fuckup.

He no like brit?

Oh, ok...

NJC - Forget the British thing, can you do it in ghetto?

crawdaddy34
April 3rd, 2015, 10:18 AM

Is she a good lookin Yankee? Or is she from Ohio?

Tack Driver
April 3rd, 2015, 10:58 AM
He no like brit?

Oh, ok...

NJC - Forget the British thing, can you do it in ghetto?
Oh, he be fluent in hood rat!

crawdaddy34
April 3rd, 2015, 10:59 AM
Oh, he be fluent in hood rat!

I'm workin on a title, but he no cooperative...

jonastio
April 3rd, 2015, 01:30 PM
For those into nerdspeak:

Comcast has been heavily pushing towards adopting IPV6. We've even got it in Tallahassee if you're using a DOCSIS3.0 cable modem and an IPV6 compatible router. Recently purchased a new Linksys and noticed that I'm fully IPV6 compliant now, so I wanted to set up a AAAA record in DNS (Quad-A is for resolving IPV6 addresses) and verify functionality. IPV6 in the US is still a relatively new technology and getting a leg up in the industry would be useful to me. I was messing with a Hurricane Networks IPV6 tunnel for a while but it's kinda nice to do it natively now.

And yes, NJC was right. On the 30th of April, the forum is gonna be unavailable for a time.

NJC
April 3rd, 2015, 03:59 PM
I can subnet IP v4 in my sleep, used to teach it at for CCNA level idiots ,alas no mas.

I have recently decided there is no room in my heart for hate so I will not entertain your racist requests for English, Irish or "Gheto" versions of my initial post in this thread.

as Ike would say.... God bless !

NJC
April 3rd, 2015, 04:00 PM
:doubledeuce:

crawdaddy34
April 3rd, 2015, 04:02 PM
I can subnet IP v4 in my sleep, used to teach it at for CCNA level idiots ,alas no mas.

I have recently decided there is no room in my heart for hate so I will not entertain your racist requests for English, Irish or "Gheto" versions of my initial post in this thread.

as Ike would say.... God bless !

Racist???

:wtf2:

Who said anything about race?

:dunno:

crawdaddy34
April 3rd, 2015, 04:03 PM
:doubledeuce:

Boooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!/

(I been takin typing lessons from Johnny)

NJC
April 3rd, 2015, 04:05 PM
Racist???

:wtf2:

Who said anything about race?

:dunno:

Questioning relevance here ???

are you high ?? :-)

Johnny
April 3rd, 2015, 08:10 PM
crawdog when I was in school only faggots and grils took typing. My how things change.

FLT
April 3rd, 2015, 08:20 PM
crawdog when I was in school only faggots and grils took typing. My how things change.

Not as much as you might think Johnny .

crawdaddy34
April 3rd, 2015, 08:24 PM
crawdog when I was in school only faggots and grils took stone tablet chiseling. My how things change.

FIFY

rr53
April 3rd, 2015, 08:43 PM
crawdog when I was in school only faggots and grils took typing. My how things change.h

Uh Johnny, that's where the future sexatarys were. Loved that class.

jonastio
April 3rd, 2015, 10:13 PM

Now you call them "Boss" and "Sir/Ma'am."

FLT
April 3rd, 2015, 10:34 PM
Not when you own the companies . But for the record I was never big on my employees calling me mister. I was more interested in them giving me 6 hours of work in a 8 hour day. For those of you who never had the pleasure of dealing with employees that's not as easy as it sounds. Before you call bullshit on that . Pause and think about how many hours you fuck off today while someone was paying to do a job that you weren't doing.

jonastio
April 3rd, 2015, 11:05 PM
When I took typing in high school, at LEAST half the class consisted of fellow nerds wanting to ramp up their WPM.

FLT
April 3rd, 2015, 11:28 PM
I never felt the need to type till I started out on TGF 4 or 5 years ago . But I must admit I wish I could type now instead of this two finger stuff that I have to put up with. I'm sure if I were in school these days I learn to type. But as Johnny said guys that as old as we are were never encourage to take a typing class.

Tack Driver
April 4th, 2015, 09:10 AM
FLT be like...........

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002815619/2126404917_OggComputer_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Tack Driver
April 4th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Not when you own the companies . But for the record I was never big on my employees calling me mister. I was more interested in them giving me 6 hours of work in a 8 hour day. For those of you who never had the pleasure of dealing with employees that's not as easy as it sounds. Before you call bullshit on that . Pause and think about how many hours you fuck off today while someone was paying to do a job that you weren't doing.

You really think you could build a company these days without knowing how to work a computer and type well?

Real question.

0utlaw
April 4th, 2015, 09:56 AM
<------ Honor graduate from the Hunt & Peck school of typing

Bodo
April 4th, 2015, 11:02 AM
It's painful to watch, but it works.

0utlaw
April 4th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I took typing in high school but only because the teacher was a recent (at that time) Miss Michigan winner.

jonastio
April 4th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Is as good of a reason as any.

Johnny
April 4th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Yes FLT you hit on the head\.Trying to get 6hrs work in an 8hr shift.had the same problems when I was in upper management at Goodyear Tire Rubber co.largest tire plant in the world at that time.

0utlaw
April 4th, 2015, 03:46 PM
6 in 8 from union guys? Good luck with that :roflmao:

You want a guy to give you 8 for 8 put him on commision :yup:

FLT
April 4th, 2015, 09:28 PM
You really think you could build a company these days without knowing how to work a computer and type well?

Real question.

Hell. I don't Know Tack but if I were your age I'd try. If I had of Listened to the people that told me I couldn't do this and couldn't do that I'd be going to work every day and married to a fat ugly woman. But then again maybe I'm just lucky . That's what those same people tell me anyway. Who knows maybe they're right it does seem as if ever thing I touch turns in to money.

crawdaddy34
April 4th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Hell. I don't Know Tack but if I were your age I'd try. If I had of Listened to the people that told me I couldn't do this and couldn't do that I'd be going to work every day and married to a fat ugly woman. But then again maybe I'm just lucky . That's what those same people tell me anyway. Who knows maybe they're right it does seem as if ever thing I touch turns in to money.

Come touch me.

Uh.... no homo.

NJC
April 4th, 2015, 09:45 PM
6 in 8 from union guys? Good luck with that :roflmao:

You want a guy to give you 8 for 8 put him on commision :yup:

The person in my house on commission works over 60 hours a week. I have to twist HER arm to take one day off a week.

0utlaw
April 4th, 2015, 09:52 PM
I worked commission most of my life it gives me a certain contempt for most hourly people (especially union).

FLT
April 4th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Craw. That's a nice thought for your family . But it would be kinda of rough on you.

crawdaddy34
April 5th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Craw. That's a nice thought for your family . But it would be kinda of rough on you.

Oh.... uh....

:escape:

jonastio
April 23rd, 2015, 01:44 PM
Hot damn. That wasn't too bad!

Highlander
April 23rd, 2015, 01:46 PM
Hot damn. That wasn't too bad!

What? :D

0utlaw
April 23rd, 2015, 02:15 PM
It was turrible.....I felt so alone :mope:

Highlander
April 23rd, 2015, 02:17 PM
It was turrible.....I felt so alone :mope:

You lie. TS was even there to keep you company.

0utlaw
April 23rd, 2015, 02:20 PM
He wasn't quite so eager to put a shoe in my ass in person :chinscratch:

crawdaddy34
April 23rd, 2015, 02:21 PM
He wasn't quite so eager to put a shoe in my ass in person :chinscratch:

Have you seen you?

You ain't exactly little bro...

thedishdoc
April 23rd, 2015, 02:34 PM
Hell. I don't Know Tack but if I were your age I'd try. If I had of Listened to the people that told me I couldn't do this and couldn't do that I'd be going to work every day and married to a fat ugly woman. But then again maybe I'm just lucky . That's what those same people tell me anyway. Who knows maybe they're right it does seem as if ever thing I touch turns in to money.I've found that the harder I work, the luckier I get.

jonastio
April 23rd, 2015, 03:32 PM
Nerd Speak Warning: This will only interest people that know what's up with IPV4 and IPV6

I've gotten the IPV6 address added and responding on CCGF, and have DNS resolving the IPV6 address. If you've got IPV6 enabled at your location, you should be good to go.

Bodo
April 23rd, 2015, 03:33 PM
It SEEMS 'quicker'

jonastio
April 23rd, 2015, 03:35 PM
It IS quicker. there's nearly a 20 millisecond drop in connection times because you're not having to (typically) go through a route that usually goes from here, to Miami, to a couple other stops along the way on the east coast (like Atlanta) and then finally to New York. Honestly, if they had the Miami datacenter open when I rented the host, I would have picked that one.

Danman
April 23rd, 2015, 05:12 PM
You know, the internets are a series of tubes. They only slow down here when Dale starts looking at his adult material.

thedishdoc
April 23rd, 2015, 05:35 PM
You know, the internets are a series of tubes. They only slow down here when Dale starts looking at his adult material.
Or when he places an order for a group buy :-)

Danman
April 23rd, 2015, 05:38 PM
Or when he places an order for a group buy :-)

Silly vendor issues.