PDA

View Full Version : Broken Brass - Warning - Photos

CoachLongShot
March 15th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Spent the day at the range learning how to shoot a Glock 34 Gen 4. My lovely wife bought it for me for my birthday. (No you can't have her phone number. No her sister is already married). :)

At one point the Glock wouldn't chamber a round. "What?!? Not chamber a round? I thought Glocks will chamber a cell phone if you can get it in the magazine." Pulled the barrel and found the upper part of a piece of brass. Found the bottom half when I was picking up my brass at the end of the day.

Go figure.

Johnny
March 15th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Was that new ammo or reloaded?

AB
March 15th, 2015, 09:53 AM
That is an exceptionally clean break. Weird.

WinterSoldier
March 15th, 2015, 01:31 PM
As only Bugs Bunny could put it: "di-a-bo-lick-al sab-oh-tay-jee"

Bodo
March 15th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Defective brass? It happens...

WinterSoldier
March 15th, 2015, 04:10 PM

I've broke a lot of brass during firing but have never seen anything nearly so neatly divided.

CoachLongShot
March 16th, 2015, 05:50 AM
I've broke a lot of brass during firing but have never seen anything nearly so neatly divided.

First time for me too. There is a small rim/ridge in the lower half. It snapped right there. A first for me. Looked like you cut it.

Rumbler
March 16th, 2015, 09:06 AM

That is the only thing I can think of . . . its like two pours. They did a partial, it cooled some before they realized the mold wasn't full, then just finished filling it.

No other way I can think of to explain that extremely clean separation in the middle of the case. :dunno:

Tack Driver
March 16th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Wait,.......... what's the warning for?

CoachLongShot
March 16th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Wait,.......... what's the warning for?

Was trying to warn folks about the photos and that it might take time to load. I think this is a 1.5+MB photo. Not so much. If I ever figure out how all this cool wiz bang works on this forum, I'll probably fall over and pass out.

Bodo
March 16th, 2015, 10:06 AM
The forum makes a thumbnail for you when you upload like that. Folks will have to click to embiggen. No need to warn us :)

Tack Driver
March 16th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Was trying to warn folks about the photos and that it might take time to load. I think this is a 1.5+MB photo. Not so much. If I ever figure out how all this cool wiz bang works on this forum, I'll probably fall over and pass out.

Oh, I see. Sorry, I didn't really know that was a thing any more. :poke:

Greg Kulbick
March 16th, 2015, 11:01 AM
That is the only thing I can think of . . . its like two pours. They did a partial, it cooled some before they realized the mold wasn't full, then just finished filling it.

No other way I can think of to explain that extremely clean separation in the middle of the case. :dunno:

I would have thought the casings were stamped, not cast.

Bodo
March 16th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I would have thought the casings were stamped, not cast.

The initial billet is cast, then stretched/stamped. At least that's how rifle brass is made. I'm assuming that pistol is the same.