PDA

View Full Version : Coated Cast Pistol Bullet Suggestions?

mlawrence
March 9th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I'm looking to try coated cast lead for my 9mm loads. Any suggestions on bullets to try or avoid? I've loaded plated bullets from Berry's and Xtreme, but it looks like I can reduce my cost significantly with coated bullets. Any reservations with Missouri Bullet Company or Bayou Bullets?

Dale Gribble
March 9th, 2015, 12:18 PM
I'm looking to try coated cast lead for my 9mm loads. Any suggestions on bullets to try or avoid? I've loaded plated bullets from Berry's and Xtreme, but it looks like I can reduce my cost significantly with coated bullets. Any reservations with Missouri Bullet Company or Bayou Bullets?

Interested in the responses you get. I looked at this last week, 115gr Rn 9mm 500 ct $33 coated from bayou vs $39 for plated from xtreme. I was thinking it was a greater savings.

GTOguy06
March 9th, 2015, 12:30 PM
I have been shooting Bayous for a while. I love them. Donnie is great to deal with and it is a quality product. Not only are the projectiles cheaper, but you can get away with using less powder for the same weight bullet since you (TYPICALLY) load to the same as you would with lead.

I recommend them.

JMW4570
March 9th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I like the bullets from http://www.precisionbullets.com/ Specifically, the 125 FP for 9mm. If you want a handful to try, PM me. Jim

Rumbler
March 9th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Bayou #1
Missouri #2

I've push Bayou bullets beyond the point that plated bullets break apart in flight and they have not only held together 100% but still don't lead up the barrel.

Missouri. I've actually just started using them. I'm very impressed with the quality so far, but Donny at Bayou is a heck of a lot more entertaining to talk to on the phone. ;)

I'm not discounting JMW's suggestion, I've simply got zero personal experience with them . . . so far. :cool:

AB
March 9th, 2015, 05:53 PM
I've actually had trouble with Bayou having about 10-15% of my latest buy oversized in .40, or at least that's my diagnosis. They won't chamber nor will they go into a chamber check die, but if I run them through a Lee Factory Crimp Die I feel massive resistance around the bullet and when I'm done they have bright, shiny rings exactly where the bullet is in the case and they will then drop right into battery.

Of course, squeezing them like that means they will not be good for anything outside of about 10 yards, so I keep them for close range drills only. The time cost to chamber check each darn round and then go back with 10% or so of them in a single stage press offsets the monetary savings to the point I don't think I will be buying any more of them.

I may call Bayou and ask them what they think, or I may simply continue my quest.

JMW4570
March 9th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I'm not discounting JMW's suggestion, I've simply got zero personal experience with them . . . so far. :cool:

I can fix that...

Rumbler
March 9th, 2015, 07:42 PM
'got any .458's? Just kidding. I'm don't have the shoulder right now to push any .458s to the limit.

But 9MM? Any girly man can handle them. :shrug:

mlawrence
March 9th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys. I'll have to pick up a few to try.

north-fl-trader
March 9th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Ive been running Bayou's for a while. They are a bit more fragile than the plated. I am now using RMR plated bullets. They are heavier plated and you can run them to 1500 without issue usually. www.rmrbullets.com

north-fl-trader
March 9th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Ive been running Bayou's for a while. They are a bit more fragile than the plated. I am now using RMR plated bullets. They are heavier plated and you can run them to 1500 without issue usually. www.rmrbullets.com

CoachLongShot
March 10th, 2015, 05:56 AM

Particularly if you're plinking or competing the coated lead will save you some noticeable bucks at the end of the day. I have been shooting Bayou lately and have had great success. Like everyone is saying, I can use a little less powder and get the same or higher velocity. I have also used "Blue Bullets" and the "Black Bullets". All are basically the same. Coated lead. I don't have any issues with smoke, or fouling of the barrel on my pistols.

Bayou Bullets have been great to work with lately. I was short $3.00 on an order. They sent me my bullets anyway. I ordered 1000 rounds, they showed up at my door be the end of the week. My suggestion would be to order a small amount from several companies and test them out. Find one you like and shoots well from your pistol/rifle and then have at it!

Coach.

mlawrence
March 11th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I ordered 500 125 gr. RN coated from lucky13.com and 250 147 gr. flat nose from thebluebullets.com. I've been working up a load for 300 blk with some of the lucky 13 bullets, and the blue bullets seem to have some good reviews online as well.

Shooter940
April 9th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Have you tried to powder coat your own???

I have done the "Shake and Bake" method on some 9mm and 44 mag and the work real well!

north-fl-trader
April 9th, 2015, 11:28 PM
I don't know how the powdercoat would react to the higher temps of the barrel after a few shots. Mixing the hex in the powder might be interesting also. The particles are pretty good size from the Bayou bullets I have.

AB
April 10th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Have you tried to powder coat your own???

I have done the "Shake and Bake" method on some 9mm and 44 mag and the work real well!

This sounds like more work than I'm willing to put forward! Time is my biggest obstacle, so I'll grit my teeth and write the check for the bullets I want to be delivered ready to be loaded up.

Rumbler
April 10th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Marcus has been playing with home powdercoated bullets, at least for the 300BLK.

But you know how Marcus is; great starter, terrible finisher so I have no idea what if any end result he has had. :goodjob: