PDA

View Full Version : .45ACP Load

Rumbler
February 17th, 2015, 11:50 PM
I'm putting this here not because I want you to try this load. But because when I researched it I found very little data on it, and what I did find just didn't make sense to me.

250gr. Missouri hardcast "pin busters". Round nose flat point bullets with a Brinell number of 18.
6.7gr of AA#5 = 925FPS. Seriously . . . .
Large primer once fired nickel plated brass cases (Speer)
COAL was set at the top of the made in crimp groove on the projectiles.

I put an 18.5 pound recoil spring in the gun, deeming it absolutely necessary around 5.0gr of AA#5 based on slide velocity and spent cases winding up somewhere probably in Southern Alabama.

- - Backstory - -

Removed on the advice of someone far smarter than me. :cool:

wheelman
February 18th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Crono data?

Rumbler
February 18th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Low was 912
High was 933

I called it 925 FPS. :)

BTW - AA#5 flows through the charging system like a dream. A lot like H110 - very fine grain powder.

SB
February 18th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I see like, dislike, but no "scared of"

Rumbler
February 18th, 2015, 01:42 PM
I see like, dislike, but no "scared of"

Good. If I understand what you are saying. :o

It is like any other "high end" load; work up carefully, and pay close attention to pressure signs.

My first reaction when I heard ~950 with a 250gr bullet from a 5" 1911 was "even by my standards that is just plain crazy!" The development taught me differently.

Johnny
February 18th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Damn Rumbler are you trying to quarter that hog out as you kill him with that load.Probably will have porkchops as well.

Rumbler
February 18th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Johnny it is certainly well into the .45 long colt territory.

if I was a piggy and someone shot me with one of those cartridges I'd consider subdividing into pork chops myself, just to keep from getting shot again. :roflmao:

Johnny
February 18th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Wonder how long that .45 can stand that kind of load.Remember the 10mm colt an all of the penning that went with it?

Rumbler
February 18th, 2015, 07:34 PM
I sure don't think it would be a good idea to shoot that kind of load regularly. I think that I could guarantee peening over time, if not outright cracks in the frame. :chinscratch:

Capt. mike
February 19th, 2015, 12:04 AM
From my experience the heavy lead and plated bullets are pretty forgiving with slower powders pressure wise, I know 1911s dont last long when you start pushing them with stuff a lot hotter than 230 over 950fps but is it the recoil or the pressure that causes the damage. I know the spring weight changes the way you feel the recoil but technically with the forces involved the spring is mainly there to have enough ass to return the slide to battery after stripping a fresh round out of the mag. It seems like the biggest force would be the pressure on the slide between the bolt face and the locking lugs.

Rumbler
February 28th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Sorry Mike. For some reason I brain farted on this reply.

Conceptually you are extremely close to being 100% on target. But the other .005% is that the recoil spring slows the unlocking AND the velocity of the slide.

Wear on the locking lugs occurs during the unlocking/locking phase, so I'm sure you understand that if the recoil spring delays the unlocking until the pressure generated by the pressure drops, could be a little, could be a lot - based on the spring rate, a heavier than stock recoil spring can actually reduce wear on the locking lugs.

As for what parts get accelerated "abuse" regardless of recoil spring weight; indeed the bolt face, link, and link boss on the bottom of the barrel.

That link, where the pin (slide lock) goes through the frame, is where the cracking usually starts. I have seen 1911s that cracked across the bolt face, through from the slide rail down to the square(ish) hole the slide lock goes into on the frame. But every one of those has been "discount" 1911s. Usually "higher quality" 1911s simply break pins or links until metal fatigue from stress fractures - caused by lots and lots of heavy loads - get the best of them.

I hope this helps. It didn't come out of any book anywhere so I don't have a real reference to offer to back it up. :(

Capt. mike
March 1st, 2015, 12:06 PM
This is just me thinking out loud but wouldnt a heavy spring increase the beating the frame takes when returning to battery, especially dropping the slide on an empty chamber.

Rumbler
March 1st, 2015, 12:43 PM
Yes. Indeed.

That is one reason why one should never drop the slide on an empty chamber.

Remember that the 45acp cartridge as a whole it a pretty substantial thing. The action of stripping a round out of the magazine, forcing it up the feed ramp and into the chamber takes relatively substantial energy. That helps slow down the slide some. But yes, absolutely, a heavier than stock recoil spring increases slide wear in the lockup area. How much it increases is more a factor of how well the slide has been heat treated at the factory than anything - bearing in mind that by design the barrel itself is a consumable and is foreseen to need replacing occasionally.

I want to clarify that I am certainly not advocating that feeding a 1911 "Rumbler loads" is conducive to the very long term health of the pistol. I shoot them 'all the time' because of the knowledge I have of the platform AND my acceptance of the fact that I am going to wear the tool out and need to replace parts, faster than the average plastic wunder-gun.

The "secret" is to bite the proverbial bullet and purchase a high quality pistol to start with. 'simple as "good stuff lasts longer than bad stuff". :)

ironhead7544
March 1st, 2015, 01:16 PM
I would consider it for hunting if using a 1911. Should work just fine. Interested in a field report.

Rumbler
March 1st, 2015, 03:46 PM
I'm trying to get the guy to come pick up the ammo (he is in GA), but thus far no joy.

I think the demonstration rounds I made him might have scared him. He doesn't know about reading pressure signs, but he knows one hell of a "BOOM!" when he hears it. :chinscratch:

Johnny
March 1st, 2015, 06:19 PM
Damn Rumbler you will have him as deaf as I am before he uses up a box of your hog medicine.

Rumbler
March 20th, 2015, 07:44 PM
I'll be darned, I guess the load works . . .

http://www.canopy.net/hog/big.pig.jpg

http://www.canopy.net/hog/tusk.jpg

I'm told this was two shots at about 10-15 yards. 'said the second shot was panic induced. I can see why. :roflmao:

0utlaw
March 20th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Damn! now hogs are going to be an endangered species, if they aren't extinct already.........What are you doing shooting them with .45ACP's probably wiped out half the species with two shots

Johnny
March 20th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Try that with a pipsqueak 9 minne mouse and see who gets up on the meat pole.

Rumbler
March 20th, 2015, 09:16 PM
The .45ACP is for backup to the long gun. Given the size of the pig and the distance, it is a darned good thing it worked too.

. . not that there was any doubt in my mind it would. I'm told that hog's whole "family" fell dead a half mile away. :banana:

Cattle/Horses
March 20th, 2015, 09:17 PM
It ALWAYS comes back to shot placement more than size.

http://www.suwanneeriverranch.com/photos/TrophyBoarJasonWoods.gif

This big, gritty beast didn't care for the .50 caliber bullet Jason Woods put in his chest so he charged. Jason had to finish him off with his 9mm pistol. Talk about a few tense moments! This giant boar hog weighed in at 1,086 pounds.