PDA

View Full Version : COAL accuracy.

Dale Gribble
January 16th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Ok. I will start with I don't own a blue or green press. I make do with a Lee Loadmaster.

Those of you with awesome (I'm not worthy) progressive presses, what is your COAL accuracy? Once you set it for x.yz how close to yz does it hold, and if it does move a little (the Z number) is that a big concern?

This is not for full on bench rest max accuracy efforts, more of typical blasting ammo that isn't on the edge of any specs.

Rumbler
January 16th, 2015, 04:18 PM
As long as it fits and functions in your weapon I wouldn't sweat the "z" too much.

Unless you using very high dollar measuring tools it is completely plausible that you could get .001-.005 JUST because of a lack of close tolerances within the tool. Add to that the same because of less than top dollar match bullets . . and you have what is referred to as "tolerance stacking" whose net result is significantly more than any one piece of your stuff alone.

I'd be singing a different tune if you were loading at or near max loads, or match ammo. But you say that you are not so . . . .

Oh, before I forget . . to specifically answer your question, .001-.003 on average from the Dillons, .0000-.0002 on the single stages.

JMW4570
January 16th, 2015, 04:20 PM
If you put the bullets in backwards its much easier to measure COAL and get them more consistent.

Dale Gribble
January 16th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Mine ran 2.024-2.026 for 300 Blackout. I think I am good. Thanks.

Rumbler
January 16th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Yeah, definitely nothing to worry about there. :headbang:

ironhead7544
January 23rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
No problem there. Bullet tips can vary more than that. I would be very happy.