PDA

View Full Version : Reloading .223 at less than 2000 fps

Boarhawg52
December 27th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I am wanting to load up some .223 that will shoot less than 2000 fps so I can shoot it on our indoor pistol range until the rifle range is built. But it still has to function the gun. I have gotten it down to 2200 fps and still functioning but when i get it any lower it will strip the used brass out but not put in a new round. HELP Please!!!

Rumbler
December 27th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Oh. That is easy.

. . or so I read. Obviously that is the opposite of what I tend to do. But anyway . . .

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507528

Looks like Hodgdon's TiteGroup or Aliant's 2400 will be your hucklberry. :)

FLT
December 27th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Tight group burns a lot cleaner than 2400.

Boarhawg52
December 27th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I have several pounds of the H4895 so I am gonna try that load first.

Rumbler
December 27th, 2014, 02:34 PM
H4895 is too slow.

But I can certainly understand you wanting to try it. :)

Have you seen this?

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf

seadog
December 27th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I've had good results with Trail Boss and not so good results with Clays or Tight Group.
Then again,im aiming at lower velocities and load for different temperatures.

Boarhawg52
December 27th, 2014, 04:09 PM
H4895 is too slow.

But I can certainly understand you wanting to try it. :)

Have you seen this?

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf
Yes I have. Now another question how fast is the velocity decreasing at 25 yards?

Rumbler
December 27th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Not very.

But an accurate answer would require math. Beginning with bullet style and weight, ballistic coefficient, air temperature, altitude above (or below) sea level.

Now you see why I said "not very". ;)

seadog
December 27th, 2014, 05:41 PM
I am wanting to load up some .223 that will shoot less than 2000 fps so I can shoot it on our indoor pistol range until the rifle range is built. But it still has to function the gun. I have gotten it down to 2200 fps and still functioning but when i get it any lower it will strip the used brass out but not put in a new round. HELP Please!!!

I'm working on getting the right buffer spring tension so it will cycle at velocities between1062-1159.

Airgator0470
December 28th, 2014, 06:31 AM
I'm working on getting the right buffer spring tension so it will cycle at velocities between1062-1159.

If you can get an AR15 to cycle sub-sonic .223 let me know...

Rumbler
December 28th, 2014, 10:45 AM
If you can get an AR15 to cycle sub-sonic .223 let me know...

Maybe an old fashioned ball point pen spring for a buffer spring? ;)

seadog
December 28th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Maybe an old fashioned ball point pen spring for a buffer spring? ;)

I've got extra buffer springs and am cutting one down a little at a time.
Don't know if it will work or not. Never heard of anyone doing it but I will keep on trying and post the results. Good or bad.

Airgator0470
December 28th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I've got extra buffer springs and am cutting one down a little at a time.
Don't know if it will work or not. Never heard of anyone doing it but I will keep on trying and post the results. Good or bad.

One reason why folks scoff at suppressing the AR15 in 5.56/.223 is you can't get it to cycle... many have tried... with 60gr bullets, it's no different than a silenced .22LR. You find the ever elusive mix of parts and ammo that provides a cycling AR15 with sub-sonic .223 ammo, you will be a RELOADING GOD.

Let me know though what's looking good and what's not... also, be careful... low velocity hi-powered rifle rounds are "SAID" to be suspect of detonation and possible rifle damage... never seen it, just read scuttlebutt on reloading forums about it.

seadog
December 28th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I've had a lot of set backs-lessons learned. Pulled a bunch of bullets out of the barrel due to clays and tight group.I might go so far as drilling a gas hole in the barrel in ever increasing diameter. That is if the spring/load combination doesn't pan out but on a cheap barrel,not my barrel. Was also wondering if an aluminum carrier with a steel bolt would lighten the sprung weight or even be practical.

Airgator0470
December 28th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I've had a lot of set backs-lessons learned. Pulled a bunch of bullets out of the barrel due to clays and tight group.I might go so far as drilling a gas hole in the barrel in ever increasing diameter. That is if the spring/load combination doesn't pan out but on a cheap barrel,not my barrel. Was also wondering if an aluminum carrier with a steel bolt would lighten the sprung weight or even be practical.

Honestly.... if it could be done, I think it already would have been... thus the allure and attraction to the 300 BO... but carry on.... that's how man made it to the moon.

FLT
December 28th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I spent a lot of time and parts trying to make a reliable subsonic AR . In the end it was so specialized that it became a subsonic only gun. The best that I could come up with for a multi purpose sub/super sonic AR was a adcor defense with the forward side charging handle. I cut the gas completely off and used the forward charge handle to cycle subsonic rounds and ran it normal for supersonic. I'd be interested in what you come up with and willing to help in any way I can.

seadog
December 28th, 2014, 02:01 PM
FLT, how did you cut the gas off? A valve?

FLT
December 28th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Yes. The adcor comes with a 4 position gas vale . I brazed the largest hole closed.

seadog
December 28th, 2014, 03:18 PM
So you shut the gas off because you didn't want the bolt to unlock .
Seems that would be the only reason.

FLT
December 28th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Yes. The forward charge handle is pretty easy to work . Much faster than a bolt action. You can operate it with your left hand with out taking the rifle off your shoulder . The forward charge handle can be configured for right or left hand operation .

seadog
December 28th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Now im thinking titanium bolt and carrier. Anyone heard of someone trying that.

Jas8340
December 29th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Not sure if this will help, but these two dudes are using Trail Boss for their subsonic loads. One guy was using cotton as a filler to get more consistent velocities.

http://www.blackthornforum.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=115

and

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=306212

Also, are you using a can?

seadog
December 29th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I use Trail Boss and a can.

Rumbler
December 29th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Tangent . . .

I used Trail Boss in some seriously reduced velocity .308 loads (for a child sized new shooter) behind some 130 grain bullets and it worked magnificently. I expected it to leave a nasty sooty mess in the gun, but it did not.

seadog
December 29th, 2014, 12:55 PM
When I read posts and articles about subsonic loading, most people fail to mention temperature considerations. 100 F = 1159 ft/sec, 10 F = 1062 ft/sec. Load for a hot day and not so quite on a cold day.