PDA

View Full Version : Ammo for class PLEASE READ

Airgator0470
December 27th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Just a note on rifle ammo for the class in November... I've seen people come out to participate in class only to have their rifle choke on cheap ammo. Regardless of your opinion(s) concerning the cheaper steel case ammo, Spend a few bucks and get brass cased ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds of the cheap stuff with no significant issues... but seeing as you're paying BIG MONEY to be there, why take a chance...

REMEMBER... NO STEEL CORE OR STEEL JACKET AMMO... PERIOD. In the past I've allowed bi-metal type jacket ammo but NO MORE... some of my steel targets have noticeable dimples most likely from someone not paying attention and shooting steel core/jacket ammo.

To make sure no one slips in any unacceptable ammo, NO STEEL CASE AMMO regardless of brand will be allowed... no exceptions. Brands like Wolf, Silver Bear, Tula, etc., will not be allowed.

Plenty of time to pu some regular old 55gr FMJ from Wal-Mart. Get it now while it's available... you never know what the political climate will be like months from now.

Gatorvet
December 27th, 2014, 09:14 AM
How bout pistol ammo? Same rules...?

Airgator0470
December 27th, 2014, 09:41 AM
How bout pistol ammo? Same rules...?

No... pistol is no problem.

Airgator0470
December 27th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Don't mean to be a dick about it... but keep in mind 20 plus folks shooting over 4 days... while I'm sure there will be some paper target work, the potential for us shooting steel could be 6K-7K on the steel. While the steel is quite durable, it does have a shelf life when shot with hi-powered rifle rounds, especially at ranges closer that 100 yards.

Two of our range targets have significant cracks and now need to be replaced...

YankeeFingergasm
December 27th, 2014, 10:02 AM
What about Wolf Gold? There's no steel in it anywhere.

Gatorvet
December 27th, 2014, 10:15 AM
No I'm cool with it. Your house, your rules! I'm happy just to be involved!
Thanks AG!

surfer5
December 27th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Is there even such a thing as brass AK ammo? All I've ever shot through mine is steel. Suggestions?

Tack Driver
December 27th, 2014, 10:40 AM
What about Wolf Gold? There's no steel in it anywhere.

Quote for answer. I'm sitting on half a case of this just for Paddy Mac.

Is there even such a thing as brass AK ammo? All I've ever shot through mine is steel. Suggestions?

Surfer, you're probably alright. It looks like he's more interested in once fired 5.56 brass. I don't think he reloads for x39. :cooler:

AG, :poke:

Airgator0470
December 27th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Quote for answer. I'm sitting on half a case of this just for Paddy Mac.

Surfer, you're probably alright. It looks like he's more interested in once fired 5.56 brass. I don't think he reloads for x39. :cooler:

AG, :poke:

So long as you guys can point me to the specs that show neither the jacket or core is made of steel or bi-metal, no Tact, not bi-sexual like you, I'll be good with it... BUT... Murphy's Law reference steel case ammo. If you bring steel case to shoot, I highly recommend you bring a BU rifle... one torn case rim, stuck case, or broke extractor could result in a bad day...

Airgator0470
December 27th, 2014, 11:17 AM

http://www.luckygunner.com/7-62x39-123-grain-fmj-pmc-20-rounds

http://sgammo.com/product/fiocchi/20-round-box-762x39-fmj-123-grain-premium-ammo-fiocchi-brass-case-boxer-primer-non-m

Airgator0470
December 27th, 2014, 11:19 AM

out of stock

http://www.keepshooting.com/yugo-7-62x39-ammo-150rds.html

Dale Gribble
December 27th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Look at sportsmans guide and royal tiger.

YankeeFingergasm
December 27th, 2014, 02:46 PM
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1887.html

That's the link the ammo myself and Tack have. Please advise.

Airgator0470
December 27th, 2014, 05:04 PM
That ammo YF is good to go...

seadog
December 27th, 2014, 06:19 PM
I never fire steel cased ammo . I will leave green tips at the house.
Thanks again for hosting this AG.

YankeeFingergasm
December 27th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Anyone in need of ammo check the link I posted. It's the cheapest, brass cased non-magnetic ammo I've found. I'll be buying some throughout the year. Any time I do I'll post and see if someone wants to split a case if it'll help on your cost.

0utlaw
December 27th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Keep shooting is going to send an email when the brass cased 7.62 comes in... I'll post a notice on that if anyone wants to split some shipping

Jafar
December 27th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Keep shooting is going to send an email when the brass cased 7.62 comes in... I'll post a notice on that if anyone wants to split some shipping

Yeah, I'll be in need of some myself.

NJC
December 28th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I had a case of wolf gold last year. I liked it. I have always shot steel case but have no probs with AGs rules.

Ammo prices have dropped considerably recently. I keep an eye on the ammo deals on slickguns.com

I think best idea is get you an ammo buddy for the class, buy a case and split it.

Jafar
December 28th, 2014, 09:19 PM
What if I have steel cased soft point 7.62x39? It's just copper jacket around a lead core, correct?

Airgator0470
December 28th, 2014, 09:28 PM
What if I have steel cased soft point 7.62x39? It's just copper jacket around a lead core, correct?

No problem... copper/lead is fine... steel core or bi-metal jackets... no go.

Jafar
December 28th, 2014, 09:58 PM
No problem... copper/lead is fine... steel core or bi-metal jackets... no go.
Roger. I'll triple check.

CRD508
December 29th, 2014, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I'll be in need of some myself.

I got a case of Yugo.......I gotcha back boyee!

AB
December 29th, 2014, 11:08 AM
[\TROLLING]

Unless it violates the range rules, obviously, but if you don't run your everyday self-defense ammo in this class you're cheating yourself and obviously don't take training very seriously.

Rumbler
December 29th, 2014, 12:19 PM
:roflmao: Holy crap. You are starting to sound like me !! :roflmao:

Jafar
December 29th, 2014, 12:54 PM
[emoji23] Holy crap. You are starting to sound like me !! [emoji23]
If I were shooting your ammo, Bob's targets and stands would be eviscerated, and my barrels be splintered and shredded like a squirrel caught in a blower belt. Not to mention the Stargate portals opening and closing just from the noise alone.

Rumbler
December 29th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I shudder at the thought of ruining the kalash's reputation for reliability.

But I sure do smile when I think of some of the tactical applications for being able to open stargates on demand. :cool:

Oh, and just so no one sleeps too well at night, know that I have a pile of 7.62x39 brass-brass and the correct reloading dies for it.:nyahnyah: