PDA

View Full Version : things I have learned in a year

mapper
December 17th, 2014, 07:15 PM
NOTE: this turned into a derailed off topic thread, after post four.. just trying to save interested parties some time here.
Otherwise feel free to post anything, as it can't go astray any worse than it has..

Reloading Things I have learned in a year..
The tedious parts of loading for me were the following..
Media separation
Case trimming / prep
Crimp removal
Charging cases with stick powders to 0.1 gr tolerance.

It took me a year, but I have those where they are not tedious anymore.

It was a buy once cry once, work smarter not harder ,open the wallet up approach that solved them though.

Almost forgot the most important one...
Imperial wax works good..
Don't count on always being able to find your prefered components/powders..
Sometimes they make them in a run, and you will need to stock them when you can find them.
You can generally find usable subsitutes...maybe..so don't rely on only 1 powder..
And I still don't like small primer 45 brass..
Rifle requires more case prep than pistol
Decap crimped rifle brass with a universal decapper if you value your sizing die stems
6mm 75-90 gr bullets and cases are made from unicorn tears..unobtanium..
Small primer 45 brass is like disco..it stiill sucks..

Lee dies work good for me for pistol...
Rifle I like one of the other green colored ones..

Consistiency is the key..have a process and do everything the same way..

Pistol is easier to start with than rifle.

Loading adds another dimension to the shooting experience..
Being able to tune loads is a cool thing..

And, there will generally be some other tool or caliber that attracts your attention,
But you know you are only a set of dies away from commiting to a new caliber.

Rumbler
December 17th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Small primer .45ACP brass is the bane of my existence. It is almost as bad as having to get all the .380 brass out of the 9mm brass BEFORE it runs through the press.

Oddly enough, I have never used Imperial. I spray a couple of pumps of spray lube into a quart zip-loc, dump in a couple of dozen rifle cases, zip it closed and . . . shake,shake,shake. Then open the bag, let it sit to evaporate the carrier, and 'poof' the brass is slicker than owl snot without getting any appreciable amount into the inside of the cases at all. :)

YankeeFingergasm
December 17th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Nice posts. Thanks for sharing.

FLT
December 17th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Try a couple squirts of hornady one shot case lube on your pistol cases that you size in carbide dies. It will cut the effort to size them to almost nothing . Don't use much just a squirt or two for 2 or 3 hundred cases. You will not believe the deference it makes.

Boarhawg52
December 18th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Try a couple squirts of hornady one shot case lube on your pistol cases that you size in carbide dies. It will cut the effort to size them to almost nothing . Don't use much just a squirt or two for 2 or 3 hundred cases. You will not believe the deference it makes.
Difference*

Rumbler
December 18th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Difference*

Uh-oh.

I hope Tack hasn't infested you. :banana:

Johnny
December 18th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Yep,the pygmy strikes again.

FLT
December 18th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Difference*

Ok . I think I understand the rules now.

Boarhawg52
December 18th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I couldn't see Tack. The grass was too tall. It was mowed 3 days earlier

Tack Driver
December 18th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I couldn't see Tack. The grass was too tall. It was mowed 3 days earlier

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/bandaging_from_head_to_toe_slideshow/getty_rm_photo_of_cold_water_on_burnt_hand.jpg

mapper
December 18th, 2014, 08:09 PM
The other thing I learned is no matter where on this forum, or what you post, whether informative or not, count on the threads getting derailed by grammar nazi-isms, I mean, what would the world be without proper grammar...that is more important than the thread itself..

0utlaw
December 18th, 2014, 09:01 PM
:yup:

Boarhawg52
December 19th, 2014, 11:08 AM
The other thing I learned is no matter where on this forum, or what you post, whether informative or not, count on the threads getting derailed by grammar nazi-isms, I mean, what would the world be without proper grammar...that is more important than the thread itself..
This is true.^^^^ My mama taught me how to talk. Especially to myself.

Tack Driver
December 19th, 2014, 11:54 AM

:wtf2:

I stayed out of this thread just fine until Boarhog kicked me in the dick, and then I still didn't say anything.

mapper
December 19th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Maybe the grammar police should grade papers, you know put smiley faces on the correct ones, and shoot holes in the ones with mistakes...

I never knew there were that many want to be english teachers..or it took precedence over informative, or useful information..

It seems like a ego trip of posting just to feel important over some trivial mispellings, or slight grammatical issues..

That effort would better be channeled into adding meaningful to the conversation, instead of coming off as a egotistical, arrogant, ass who wishes they were grading english papers because they can't add anything useful to the conversation, either because of their lack of understanding of the topic or their ego.

But, you know what some people say.."you can't fix stupid"

crawdaddy34
December 19th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Maybe the grammar police should grade papers, you know put smiley faces on the correct ones, and shoot holes in the ones with mistakes...

I never knew there were that many want to be english teachers..or it took precedence over informative, or useful information..

It seems like a ego trip of posting just to feel important over some trivial mispellings, or slight grammatical issues..

That effort would better be channeled into adding meaningful to the conversation, instead of coming off as a egotistical, arrogant, ass who wishes they were grading english papers because they can't add anything useful to the conversation, either because of their lack of understanding of the topic or their ego.

Wow...

Johnny
December 19th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Damn mapper you didn't kick Tack in:banana: the dick,you just knocked his dick in the dirt and stomped on it.

crawdaddy34
December 19th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Damn mapper you didn't kick Tack in:banana: the dick,you just knocked his dick in the dirt and stomped on it.

Tack didn't even do anything.

Well, not in this thread anyway...

Dale Gribble
December 19th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Maybe

Blah
Blah
Blah

stupid"

If correctly using the language of your fellow countrymen is not something you wish to master, later in 2015 Dark Donkey Training will be offering a Ebonics course.

crawdaddy34
December 19th, 2014, 09:01 PM
If correctly using the language of your fellow countrymen is not something you wish to master, later in 2015 Dark Donkey Training will be offering a Ebonics course.

*an

mapper
December 19th, 2014, 09:12 PM
So let's see for the math majors..
Out of a post that contains 20 posts prior to this one, 3 added meaningful comment in regards to the thread, 1 gave approval, and 16 were off topic, unless you count the apparently most important topic of grammar correction..

So 80% of the replies relate to that...
Hell, why don't we get jonas to make a grammar section since it obviously is 4 times more important than anything else on a gun forum.

Johnny
December 19th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Dribble will be teaching the ebonics class of course.

FLT
December 19th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I agree. It's kinda cute when Tack does it. But all these copy cats are getting a little old.

Tack Driver
December 19th, 2014, 10:15 PM

:goodjob:

0utlaw
December 19th, 2014, 10:23 PM

It seems like an ego trip of posting just to feel important over some trivial misspellings, or slight grammatical issues..

That effort would better be channeled into adding meaningful to the conversation, instead of coming off as an egotistical, arrogant, ass who wishes they were grading english papers because they can't add anything useful to the conversation, either because of their lack of understanding of the topic or their ego.

:shrug:

mapper
December 19th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Outlaw....
Good for you, you have increased in rank from grammar intern, to grammar aide...
I Purposely leave just a few minor mistakes for people to redline as it makes them feel useful.

0utlaw
December 19th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Hell Yeah I've been promoted :goodjob: Does this promotion come with a burrito?

mapper
December 19th, 2014, 10:43 PM
No burrito for you...
Pocket lint and a few spent 22 cases is the cash value of the promotion

Cattle/Horses
December 19th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Hell Yeah I've been promoted :goodjob: Does this promotion come with a burrito?

Fancier title, new business cards, no raise. Works most every time.

Tack Driver
December 19th, 2014, 11:35 PM

I was once told by an employer that I was too important for a week of vacation off, but not important enough for a raise.

12bhunting
December 19th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Sad to say, I did not learn anything about reloading this year. Every year I tell myself I am going to start. And every year i piss away the opportunity. Not this year! I am going to take the class DSH offers and get my shit together!!! I am going to move my wifes sewing shit and set up a work station! Yes this is the part where I always end up pissing away the opportunity.....

mapper
December 20th, 2014, 12:15 AM
The 2nd edition lee book goes in the steps to reload, as well as the 49 th lyman book,
Lee gives formula for reduced charges, and is geared towards their equipment. But understanding the process is important.

The abc's of reloading goes in the steps as well but does not include any load data.
I put it off for over 20 years..

Dsh has nice equipment, rcbs and dillon from what I have seen..
Your expected volume of production, and the type of ammo you load has a influence on the press you get, whether single stage, turret, or progressive.

0utlaw
December 20th, 2014, 08:51 AM

No burrito for you...
Pocket lint and a few spent 22 cases is the cash value of the promotion

:mope:

Johnny
December 20th, 2014, 10:44 AM
12bhunting is that because the wife whipps your ass when you talk about moving her sewing ?

Johnny
December 20th, 2014, 10:45 AM
If that is the case I think you have learned a very valuable lesson right there.

Cattle/Horses
December 20th, 2014, 10:51 AM
If that is the case I think you have learned a very valuable lesson right there.

Experience talking Johnny?

Johnny
December 20th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Shit Wes I have my own building that I reload in.No sewing allowed in there.

0utlaw
December 20th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Kicked you clean out the house did she?

12bhunting
December 20th, 2014, 03:05 PM
12bhunting is that because the wife whipps your ass when you talk about moving her sewing ?

Johnny I have been with my wife for 20 years. I have her trained just enough to eat a home cooked meal in the evening, hunt for days without any questions and more loving than I honestly deserve. I decide what goes on in this trailer! Ah Fuck it, ya man she said no.....

Johnny
December 20th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Well hell I have been with mine for about 35yrs,she has me trained now.Boy did she have her hands full.Shit I expected her to give up and boot my ass but I guess age finally caught up with us.

mapper
December 20th, 2014, 04:45 PM
I learned the most important two words early in the 32 years...

"Yes dear"

She supports my reloading, which I'm thankful for....as long as I have enough ammo for her to shoot on range days..

FLT
December 20th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I learned the most important two words early in the 32 years...

"Yes dear"

Smart Man !

Cattle/Horses
December 20th, 2014, 05:19 PM
I've started to understand and appreciate what they meant 30 years ago when they would tell us young whipper snappers, "Keep living, you'll get old too"!

FLT
December 20th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Wes some of these guys don't have to worry about getting old.

Johnny
December 20th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Hell yes we are already there.

Boarhawg52
December 27th, 2014, 01:07 PM
My wife learned more about reloading than me. In fact that is her job now. So the question is do I have her trained or does she have me trained?

mapper
December 27th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Obviously she has You trained...but you worked it well..
Too easy drill seargeant..