PDA

View Full Version : getting into reloading

sunny
December 14th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Ok so I'm planning on converting to 300 blackout because of the C/R when reloading.

My question is with the setup, primarily if I got a lee loadmaster and ran it in a single stage setup until I get well adjusted, will it be harder than starting on a single stage?

Also is the lee .300blackout die set good?

mapper
December 14th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Marcus would be the one i would ask both on conversion and press questions

I haven't started loading blackout yet...but have dies..no brass conversion tools..

...also if you edit the title of the post to the caliber it may bring more/quicker responses.. :)

marcus6176
December 14th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Sunny do you have brass conversion questions or questions a bout reloading 300 In General (which dies, press, etc)

sunny
December 14th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I plan to convert 5.56 brass to 300 using the micro saw and jig.
I just want to know if my plan of learning on a progressive press will make it more difficult. And is there a store in/around Tallahassee for reloading supplies

marcus6176
December 15th, 2014, 12:11 AM
I had to mod the hell out of my Lee press, so I could knock most of the prep work on that. After the brass has been cut I can decap, resize, and trim on my press. That's why I am getting dillon with my tax return. You will need small base dies and good lube (Imperial wax, hornady one shot spray). Make sure to sort your brass!!!! This is big deal, because foreign military brass will cause stress on your saw and dies, because it is way too thick. Kevins and DSH will have a bunch of stuff. Start with a single stage, before you goto a Progressive press. That's how I started. I have converted over 10,000 pieces already and the first 2,000 I did with a single stage press and you can ask mike he has not had a single problem with any of that brass.

Rumbler
December 15th, 2014, 09:53 AM
you can ask mike he has not had a single problem with any of that brass.

Even better than that: not even a single case came to me out of specification. Out of hundreds and hundreds.

Dale Gribble
December 15th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I love my load master. I don't run enough loads to justify the other brands, and I am sure they are even more awesome than my $140 progressive.

I don't run blackout yet, but I will shortly. I read various reviews that made me worry about the lee dies, then I read reviews on RCBS and Hornady dies and many of the same complaints, about ammo not chambering when using xxx dies.

So I will make sure I buy my dies from someone with a very easy return policy. And make just a few rounds to start to ensure I'm not producing junk.

Jas8340
December 15th, 2014, 10:02 AM
From what I've read over at http://300blktalk.com/, the Lee dies aren't very good. I use the RCBS AR Series Dies Small Base 2-Die set with a Lee Factory Crimper. When I was doing my research, I ran across this post that details the process: http://imgur.com/a/bluJu

Go ahead and do yourself a favor by getting a Sheridan Slotted .300 Gauge. It is a very quick and easy way to see if you are putting out junk and helps to identify issues with brass.

For reloading supplies, Academy has primers and some .308 bullets. I've been loading up Hornady 150 gr FMJBT w/H110 for trips to the range. Kevin's and DSH should have powder from time to time. If you are looking for premium bullets, I can't recommend these enough for the price: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2149663126/speer-tnt-varmint-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-125-grain-jacketed-hollow-point. You won't break the bank working up a load for those.

If you want some decent factory plinking ammo to break things in, try these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1836643120/fiocchi-shooting-dynamics-ammunition-300-aac-blackout-150-grain-full-metal-jacket-boat-tail?cm_vc=ProductFinding

sunny
December 15th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I'm going to get the Lee single stage kit and probably upgrade later. All my brass will be from airgator so that I have a reliable and trustworthy supply. Also is a 1/8 twist in a 16" barrel sufficient for subsonic loads? I don't have a can yet but I plan on loading subsonic loads for HD so if I do fire inside I won't loose my hearing

Dale Gribble
December 15th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I'm going to get the Lee single stage kit and probably upgrade later. All my brass will be from airgator so that I have a reliable and trustworthy supply. Also is a 1/8 twist in a 16" barrel sufficient for subsonic loads? I don't have a can yet but I plan on loading subsonic loads for HD so if I do fire inside I won't loose my hearing

Get the Lee ClassicTurret Press instead. For only a few dollars more you get a top of the line turret press and you can easily run it single stage. A standard press is something most re loaders need, but they can be picked up used for next to nothing.

sunny
December 15th, 2014, 01:53 PM
What's the difference between a breech lock press and turret press?

Dale Gribble
December 15th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Turret allows you to do several operations 1 right after the other to 1 piece of brass.

So you can:
prime
charge
seat a bullet
and crimp

And only touch the brass once. Its much faster than a breech lock, and a bit slower than a progressive. But it allows you (I think) the Quality Control of a single stage press.

FLT
December 15th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Good reloading equipment will last a life time. Some of the RCBS equipment I'm using is more than 45 years old and still works like new. Just something to think about before you buy equipment .With proper maintenance it will last longer than you will.

sunny
December 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Yea I just watched a video on it and I like it. I'll more than likely get that one

Dale Gribble
December 15th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Yea I just watched a video on it and I like it. I'll more than likely get that one

Someone makes a $10 add on that ejects the cartridge at the last station for you.. A good little add on.

AB
December 15th, 2014, 03:57 PM
My advice is always to get a single stage press and use it for six months (I mean really use it, not leave it in the box), then go buy a Dillon 650. I've never taken a class on reloading, but now that they are available I would be in the very next one if I were starting over.

Rumbler
December 15th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Reloading needs to be learned one station/one step at a time. Whether one uses a progressive press or a single stage there is absolutely no substitute for knowing the feel of the handle as the press performs a given step or function.

In ANY progressive press you can feel each function, but the experience is "compressed" because several functions are happening near simultaneously. That is not conducive to new reloaders learning what they really do need to know.

So as i suspect you can guess; I highly recommend a single stage press to start with. Even over a "turret" style press. They are slick - sure enough. But when they do start to wear, and they will, where they wear is where the turret is connected to the frame. That translates directly to inconsistent ammunition. I don't personally like inconsistent ammunition.

Not only will the single stage serve you for a lifetime but if you buy one from "Big Green" you will have a press that you can load virtually any cartridge you can come with with dies for. And do it consistently. :goodjob:

sunny
December 15th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Where are these reloading classes?

And I know what you mean by the learning the feel, I've got a lot of thinking to do.

Also I got a 10% discount code for certain brands at PSA in an order today that expires 1/31/15
For Blackhawk! Its blackhawk10
For RCBS it RCBS10
for Bushnell its Bushnell10